Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

OneBardGooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:42 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:34 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:20 pm
TeeCee wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:36 am
I actually laughed out loud this morning when I saw Artetas comments yesterday
we are in a much better position today to be where we want to be very soon, if we do what we have to do
Fucking generational coach right there! He says we need to be ruthless, just a 2 year extension for Luiz then!!

Arsenal have gone full banter, laughing stock. Can’t wait to see his signings this summer, it’s going to be epic (ly) bad!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The next level is the next level after all..... :fryingpan:

Master Po taught Grasshopper well. :mrgreen:

:wink:

Didn't Caine address him as "Sensei" in the show sometimes though? :rubchin:

No mate Sensei is a Japanese word - Kwai Chang always called him 'Master' .

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

ps: Or Fat Blind Fuckker - when he wasn't within hearing distance. :D

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Mail say any shortlist of replacements for Arteta would be similar to that of Tottenham, with the likes of Ralf Rangnick and Rafa Benitez among the leading candidates & Brendan Rodgers a prime contender if he could be persuaded to leave Leicester. #Arsenal

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 am
Outside of ESR, Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, Pepe, Partey, Gabriel every other players is far go to sell and replace....

I simply have no faith in this club. My expectation for the next three years is to hover between 6th-12th without ever threatening to push the top 4.
You should have stopped at Martinelli. :) Partey has been hopeless, Pepe has improved, but he is not a £70 million player and Gabriel has been poor since he got Covid.

I think 6th is pushing it. Dirty Leeds and Villa seem to be better teams, and Arsenal are more on a par with Palace and Newcastle. Wolves will probably be better. With Captain Black in charge, 10th - 15th is the realistic expectation.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Arsenal are average in pretty much everything they do. Average manager, average defence, average midfield, average forward line. They are what they are: a classic mid-table team. The Kroenkes and their loyal henchmen at the club are managing decline. Nothing more.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:00 am
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... fer-window

Delusion on a grand scale.
giving more money to this clueless wanker....more of the likes of Partey and Pepe...just what we fucking need

will be another season of misery until he moves on at least

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:

Arteta is right, big changes to the squad are required.

However the uncomfortable truth is that the first changes should be undoing almost everything Arteta and Edu did last summer!

Start with getting rid of last summers big contract signings (Willian, Auba, Cedric, Luiz) - Partey should get another season though.

Sadly, we can’t undo the Emi Martinez sale and Guendouzi/Torreira banishments so we will clearly be in the market for a keeper and a few midfielders too.

Arteta/Edu also need to learn to cash in on players when their stock is artificially high. We’ve probably missed the boat on Nketiah & Nelson (both worth a subway meal now) but maybe we can get a pretty penny for Maintland-Niles. Then have a serious discussion on Willock because his stock may never be higher!

Question is, why would you trust Arteta & Edu with sorting out the mess they created?

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Without European football he is going to have to shop in a different market, that will be interesting seeing him and Edu try to convince people to come to an obvious failing club but never mind I expect Kia will have a few has beens to flog us :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:

On BBC as well:

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has called on the club's board to spend big to ensure the Gunners remain among the Premier League's contenders. (Sunday Star)

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

You never, never know. Without European football it could actually mean we sign hungry players that want to build a reputation rather than has-beens that want to come for a pay day. If you are looking for your next club you would probably look beyond Arsenal if you are a Coutinho. It may actually work in our favour but I will believe it when I see it.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The Only time we are going to actually "Progress" is firstly with the removal of the owners; and whether that is ever likely to happen is anyone's guess.

So, if we imagine the Spotify guy manages to prise AFC from the evil clutches of wiggycunt&son, the first thing that will need to happen if we are not going to repeat the same ole shyte we have been doing ad-finitum for the last 10 (?) years, is have a 100% clear out; branch, root and twig as they say.

First to go must be the manager with his staff along with Edu and the other self-serving, money pocketing cunnts.
Spend BIG on a proper manager - Allegri still waiting in the wings and give him Money to spend.

Clear out the dross the likes of Clubfoot, Bellerin, Elninny, Leno, Willian and ensure Cellabos is Deported forever,also sell Auba if we can.

Then re-organise the Academy manager/staff - Ensure it is still not being run like a Holiday Camp.

Ensure Martinelli, Saka, ESR, Azzeez and Balogun contracts are sealed tight with buy out clauses for Huge amounts.

Get Gunnersaurus back

Ban wenger Forever from ever having anything to do with the club and Ban him from the ground.

THEN!!!..Start the re-build Proper.

augie

Post by augie »

arrgee wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:35 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 am
Outside of ESR, Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, Pepe, Partey, Gabriel every other players is far go to sell and replace....

I simply have no faith in this club. My expectation for the next three years is to hover between 6th-12th without ever threatening to push the top 4.
You should have stopped at Martinelli. :) Partey has been hopeless, Pepe has improved, but he is not a £70 million player and Gabriel has been poor since he got Covid.

I think 6th is pushing it. Dirty Leeds and Villa seem to be better teams, and Arsenal are more on a par with Palace and Newcastle. Wolves will probably be better. With Captain Black in charge, 10th - 15th is the realistic expectation.

Better teams yes, better players no. That continues to be the crux of it for me - under-performing players badly organised, with no motivation, and a manager that is clueless, but that does not mean that leeds or villa have better players

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

g88ner wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:16 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:

Arteta is right, big changes to the squad are required.

However the uncomfortable truth is that the first changes should be undoing almost everything Arteta and Edu did last summer!

Start with getting rid of last summers big contract signings (Willian, Auba, Cedric, Luiz) - Partey should get another season though.

Sadly, we can’t undo the Emi Martinez sale and Guendouzi/Torreira banishments so we will clearly be in the market for a keeper and a few midfielders too.

Arteta/Edu also need to learn to cash in on players when their stock is artificially high. We’ve probably missed the boat on Nketiah & Nelson (both worth a subway meal now) but maybe we can get a pretty penny for Maintland-Niles. Then have a serious discussion on Willock because his stock may never be higher!

Question is, why would you trust Arteta & Edu with sorting out the mess they created?
^^ Exactly right.

Most of us said that the manager who came in after Wenger would need 3-4 transfer windows to sort things out, and probably the same with Arteta. However, with each of those windows that passes you expect to see an improvement in the squad......signs that we're moving in the right direction, even if the finished product takes longer

My problem is that the transfer windows we've had so far have taken us backwards. His three main signings have been Willian, Gabriel and Partey and apart from a decent first third of the season from Gabriel pre-COVID, there has been fuck all return on that investment of c. £70m and a shed load of wages. He also signed Ceballos on loan too - absolutely shite. Odegaard - great game against West Ham, and a few glimpses here and there but at best average.

If he had spent £70m and improved the squad and I could see us moving upwards I wouldn't have a problem with missing out on Europe. When I see the team going backwards and him having already had 3 windows to address things, I just despair that we would trust him and Edu to weave their magic a fourth time.

Also, this complete bull about him sweeping out the deadwood. Ozil and Mustafi and that's it in three windows. The fat Bosnian lump will be back here soon enough, as was Elneny

Fucking depressing

augie

Post by augie »

How about this quote from pep's cone boy yesterday -

“The squad needs changing. There were already a lot of changes in December, something that has not been done in years, but it tells us where we were"

Monreal, lard arse iwobi, the armenian pussy, koscielney, jenkinson, ospina, wellshit, joel campbell, lucas perez and a load of reserve players were got rid of by your predecessor in his short time at the club you c.unt - imagine if you had that load of shite to work with :roll:
You on the other hand fcuked 4 young players out on loan (torreira, guendouzi, saliba and mavropanas) as well as getting shot of sokratis and ozil. Whilst doing that you brought in willian, soares and a keeper from the dog and duck second team. You brought elneny back into the team and brought mustafi and the fat bosnian into the match day squads, and when you eventually realised that the latter two are dogshite, you had to pay one of them to fcuk off, and cant get rid of the other :roll: :censored:

Cowardly lying b.astard cant even own his own mistakes and is trying to deflect the blame elsewhere :cussing: