Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

Many of us spent much of Wenger's last 10 years agitating for change (even those who backed him for longer wanted him out for at least the last 5). In his last 10 seasons his win rate was 57.1%

Emery had 78 games and won 55.1% of them

This clown has now had 96 games and won 52.1% of them

Of the 3 managers undoubtedly the most boring, negative football to watch has come from Captain Black too. Wenger was tactically inept, Dick became too quick to change things. This clown has been given more to spend in a single window than either of them and has somehow created a team that is duller to watch and barely offers an attacking threat

Just get rid please, as soon as possible

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

On here we all need to appreciate the modern fans thinking - they are going to Arsenal because it is a “big” Premier League club.

Results are unimportant.

The main thing is to go home happy.
When Lacazette scored a last minute goal it was irrelevant that this was only for an equaliser. It was a great way to end the evening for them.

The modern fan goes home happy.
They will come again. They will not be calling for Arteta to be sacked.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

There is no denying we are a worse team now in a worse position and circumstances than we were under Wenger. Even Wenger's tippy tippy is now being repeated and we are seeing adventurous young players either being coached into negativity (Tierney) or benched (Martinelli). The AKB will use that as an excuse to say we should never have gotten rid of Wenger but that is idiotic thinking.

Emery failed and was gotten rid of rightly. But Martinez-Lite is far worse in every aspect and looks to be nowhere near getting the chop. This is madness. He simply has not got the experience or ability to do this level of job.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:20 pm
Wengers last 10 seasons his win rate was 57.1%

Hard to believe he has been in charge for nearly 100 games. Only at Arsenal. No other top half club would accept that sort of record, never mind one with aspirations to be in the Champions League..

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Many of us spent much of Wenger's last 10 years agitating for change (even those who backed him for longer wanted him out for at least the last 5). In his last 10 seasons his win rate was 57.1%

Of the 3 managers undoubtedly the most boring, negative football to watch has come from Captain Black too. Wenger was tactically inept, Dick became too quick to change things. This clown has been given more to spend in a single window than either of them and has somehow created a team that is duller to watch and barely offers an attacking threat

Agreed, I'd like to know the stats of Wengers win ratio in his first 10 years, would it be 60 plus,, anyhow you're right about Arteta, the real worry for me is he seems to genuinely be leave he's got a plan that will come to fruition.

It's strange that in the second half of last season we were the second or third best team in the league and that does point to progression but somehow he's gone backwards from there even after new additions.

What I will add is that Edu has to fuck off too because some of recent signings have been utter gash.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:13 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Agreed, I'd like to know the stats of Wengers win ratio in his first 10 years, would it be 60 plus,, anyhow you're right about Arteta, the real worry for me is he seems to genuinely be leave he's got a plan that will come to fruition.

It's strange that in the second half of last season we were the second or third best team in the league and that does point to progression but somehow he's gone backwards from there even after new additions.

What I will add is that Edu has to fuck off too because some of recent signings have been utter gash.

Very true Lefty.

Also I'm convinced he's got some seriously dodgy deals in place with parasite agents like - oh let me think - his own agent Kia Jabberwocky.... :censored:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Arteta talking....

Arteta, 39, added: "I heard a lot and I have a lot of friends who are doing the courses, who doubted whether they want to take the hot seat or whether it is better to be an assistant or something else.

"For me, this cannot be the barrier, because you have fear about the treatment you are going to receive. I think the enjoyment as well is that big, that it should not stop you.

"But it is important that we take care a little bit of the environment and putting things in the right place. If not, I don't think it will get better. I think it will get worse if we don't do anything about it."

So you get over £6million a year and you dont know what you are doing ...BUT you can not be accountable.....sounds good
Last edited by Redarmy on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

It would get better if the clubs gave even a tiny fraction of a damn what the fans think, if all of the players looked like they were trying in EVERY game, and if everyone in football stopped acting as if they live in a parallel universe where normal rules don't apply because "football's different".

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:46 pm
On here we all need to appreciate the modern fans thinking - they are going to Arsenal because it is a “big” Premier League club.

Results are unimportant.

The main thing is to go home happy.
When Lacazette scored a last minute goal it was irrelevant that this was only for an equaliser. It was a great way to end the evening for them.

The modern fan goes home happy.
They will come again. They will not be calling for Arteta to be sacked.
Think the tick in the box is social media, these "modern" fans priority is to notify all on facebook or whats app that they are at premiership match
Half the people attending at the Emirates are like this....one reason i havnt been to a home game in years
Last edited by Redarmy on Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:13 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Very true Lefty.

Also I'm convinced he's got some seriously dodgy deals in place with parasite agents like - oh let me think - his own agent Kia Jabberwocky.... :censored:
Yes mate some serious dodgy shit going on, again though we will take huge losses on recent buys, its like "ROLL UP ROLL UP The Arsenal are in town, once in a lifetime deals, HURRY HURRY they're only passing though, sell em while you can!!!!!"

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

After some time seeing recruiting from other managers/heads of football, I will give Arteta credit for what looks like the best transfer window in some time. Even if I harbour long term doubts on his ability to consistently get a tune out of his squad, this window should lay down the groundwork for other coaches to work with. My only complaint would possibly be around not really needing Ben White, but that is probably about it for now.

I now will crawl back into my hovel before I take pelters ;-)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

begeegs wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:29 pm
After some time seeing recruiting from other managers/heads of football, I will give Arteta credit for what looks like the best transfer window in some time. Even if I harbour long term doubts on his ability to consistently get a tune out of his squad, this window should lay down the groundwork for other coaches to work with. My only complaint would possibly be around not really needing Ben White, but that is probably about it for now.

No pelters coming your way from me Beegeegs, I think each signing this window has made an impact and strengthened us.

I hadn’t watched Ramsdale to any extent whatsoever, was indifferent to the signing, but he is a great purchase, could be England’s and our no 1 for over 10 years.
Some of his passing out was superb, right weight, really good vision and awareness too. Love that he hates to concede.

He also appears to have brought that mentality to White and Gabriel.
White maybe overpriced at £50m, but when you put that up against Maguire…… :roll:

Right back was a huge problem area for us and it looks like it’s potentially resolved for the long term.

I’d prefer Lacazette to stay for at least another season As he still gives his all, and holds the ball up for the likes of Saka and Smith Rowe to get onto.

With Patino, Balogun and Flores looking great prospects for the next year or two to breakthrough - we really have a great opportunity to just require one or two purchases required to complete what we have now.

The biggest concern for me, is the huge, huge contrast between us at our best as seen against Villa and the scum, fast paced, 100 percent effort, physically bulling the opposition and the meak, absolute sterile football we have also seen this season.
Why can’t we attack at pace, which suits our top players, rather than allow our opponents the time to regroup and get organised.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:58 pm
begeegs wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:29 pm

No pelters coming your way from me Beegeegs, I think each signing this window has made an impact and strengthened us.

I hadn’t watched Ramsdale to any extent whatsoever, was indifferent to the signing, but he is a great purchase, could be England’s and our no 1 for over 10 years.
Some of his passing out was superb, right weight, really good vision and awareness too. Love that he hates to concede.

He also appears to have brought that mentality to White and Gabriel.
White maybe overpriced at £50m, but when you put that up against Maguire…… :roll:

Right back was a huge problem area for us and it looks like it’s potentially resolved for the long term.

I’d prefer Lacazette to stay for at least another season As he still gives his all, and holds the ball up for the likes of Saka and Smith Rowe to get onto.

With Patino, Balogun and Flores looking great prospects for the next year or two to breakthrough - we really have a great opportunity to just require one or two purchases required to complete what we have now.

The biggest concern for me, is the huge, huge contrast between us at our best as seen against Villa and the scum, fast paced, 100 percent effort, physically bulling the opposition and the meak, absolute sterile football we have also seen this season.
Why can’t we attack at pace, which suits our top players, rather than allow our opponents the time to regroup and get organised.
One word mate:

"Clive".

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Well, I'm not really in the arteta fan club but in the last 3 matches he has started to make the right decisions. The right substitutions and playing the right players. No doubt no one else would agree but he seems to be making some progress as a manager.
As for the criticism of the signings made by Edu and Arteta, Ramsdale, Tomiyashi, Tavares, Sambi, Gabriel and White all seem to be fairly decent, and an improvement on the players they have replaced. With a few more lined up to leave in January. I seem to remember Edu also brought Martinelli to the club. So, who are the really poor signings made by Edu and Arteta?

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:00 am
Well, I'm not really in the arteta fan club but in the last 3 matches he has started to make the right decisions. The right substitutions and playing the right players. No doubt no one else would agree but he seems to be making some progress as a manager.
As for the criticism of the signings made by Edu and Arteta, Ramsdale, Tomiyashi, Tavares, Sambi, Gabriel and White all seem to be fairly decent, and an improvement on the players they have replaced. With a few more lined up to leave in January. I seem to remember Edu also brought Martinelli to the club. So, who are the really poor signings made by Edu and Arteta?
'Ole Goonar' Runnarson, Willian and Pablo Mari (?). Mari would be the one who isn't great, but an ok squad player, but Wilian - that one is beyond bad. Probably candidate for the worst signing in the past 20 years. :D