Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

OneBardGooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:39 am
g88ner wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:20 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:01 pm
Thought not :? :cry:

Ho Hum!. :cry:

This should get the PC Name Police going :mrgreen:

Pseudonyms for Mikel Arteta (so far):

Martinez-lite
Peps Cone Boy
Captain Black
Farteta
Farty Pants

Am I missing any??? :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:
Farteta and Farty Pants? What is happening to this place :banghead:

I’ve got a high threshold for being offended but my breaking point on a football forum is childish nicknames like Farty Pants and Farteta. Ban the mindless c*nts who use that language :cussing:
Really mate? It's just banter. We've had worse things said on here..... remember a couple of posters wishing Wenger would die of AIDS and cancer.... I'll take a bit of childish name calling over that! :wink:
Yeah! I remember that - Now THAT was Totally Out Of Order. They got banned didn't they? Or severely rapped across the knuckles.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:31 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:39 am
g88ner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Martinez-lite
Peps Cone Boy
Captain Black
Farteta
Farty Pants

I’ve got a high threshold for being offended but my breaking point on a football forum is childish nicknames like Farty Pants and Farteta. Ban the mindless c*nts who use that language :cussing:
Really mate? It's just banter. We've had worse things said on here..... remember a couple of posters wishing Wenger would die of AIDS and cancer.... I'll take a bit of childish name calling over that! :wink:
Yeah! I remember that - Now THAT was Totally Out Of Order. They got banned didn't they? Or severely rapped across the knuckles.
No, not banned. The one I dealt with I just deleted it and asked them to think before they posted something like that. I understood they were particularly pissed off at that point in Wenger's reign so put it down to a bad day.

I think Spuddy might have given the other one a one week ban though. Can't remember tbh. :lol:

I do remember one post was particularly worse than the other one, really nasty poisonous stuff.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Ere!!? was that posters name Johnny Farty Pants!!!??? :D :wink: :wink: :wink:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

We are no longer a big club, at any big club Arteta would have lost his job after the Villarreal debacle last season but instead he is still here and only for the luck of the fixture list we would be completely up shits creek without a paddle. Last night there was no tactical plan and to bring In Xhaka was just pure incompetence. As others have said, I don't think there is any actual requirement of success for Arteta, as long as we aren't in the championship he'll still be here. To think of this once great club allowing a novice use the club for his apprenticeship is just embarrassing.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for the owners, I imagine Arteta was sold to them by Edu and himself in a similar way to the transfer dealings this summer, 'Young but with plenty of potential'.

We have all acknowledged that our board and owners seem utterly naive and clueless when it comes to footballing matters so in all honesty if you throw in Arteta being significantly 'cheaper' and easier to control than other potential options it is easy to see why they went with him, fucking moronic mind you but hey ho....

They now have to wake up and see that after 2 years and no significant improvement that their gamble has failed, this includes appointing Edu.

If they want to have any pretence of footballing ambition especially with the fans then they need to acknowledge their mistake and rectify both appointments fairly sharpish, unfortunately I get the feeling that those at the top are unable to recognise their own failures let alone act on them :rubchin:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Just to add I'm sick of the never, never now, it will improve next season, oh wait next season will be better, and so on and so forth and it irritates the hell out of me that so many of our supporters buy into it year after year..... I'd love to win the league season after season but unlike other leagues that won't happen in the PL, however it would be nice if we actually competed once in a while not just in the odd game now and then :cussing:

Herd

Post by Herd »

The Owners only interest is money , the clubs boxes are largely empty and people have abandoned club level too so gate receipts are way down and with competition of premium stadiums increased in east London and Hertfordshire they realised they would have to spend and to be fair they have .
They need European Football at the very least ,If Arteta fails to produce he will be sacked I'm sure .
The problem is the same today as it was 3 years ago there is nobody in the system that knows how to run a successful football club so the next appointment will be another wild punt !
The club is fooked !

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:11 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:40 pm
Although Arteta is beginning to win me over with the greater consistency of team selection and performance, I get the feeling that Van Bronckhorst will be our next manager to take us to the level of challenging for the league title.
What is the next level? Wenger was asked.....embarrassing pause...... the next level up was the answer
Next level is top 4/ challenging for the title. With the investment we've had we should be in amongst chelski, liverpool and man city, or at least vying for that 4th place finish. It is alarming how quickly we've fallen backwards to the ways of last season.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Sorry Nos but I think you are being blinded sided a bit, in this day and age £150M on 3 players could be deemed significant investment but not on 6, an average of £25M per player, that is what we got for Willock if I remember correctly....

It is about good investment not the value involved, and realistically it wasn't well spent if we have to wait 2 or 3 seasons for them all to learn their trades

We needed significant improvement this summer, not in another 2 seasons time when those players have matured

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:32 pm
Sorry Nos but I think you are being blinded sided a bit, in this day and age £150M on 3 players could be deemed significant investment but not on 6, an average of £25M per player, that is what we got for Willock if I remember correctly....

It is about good investment not the value involved, and realistically it wasn't well spent if we have to wait 2 or 3 seasons for them all to learn their trades

We needed significant improvement this summer, not in another 2 seasons time when those players have matured
The counter point your statement is that 5 of those signing have proven that they are ready now and were the positive's during the 10 match unbeaten run. Ramsdale, White, Tomiyashu are established in starting eleven. Tavares has given us an indication that we have improved back up for injury prone Tierney and Lokonga looks better in midfield than any other player has shown in last 3-4 seasons.
In the summer we looked to have suitable cover up front. Whatever has happened over the last few weeks has shown the vulnerability of our attack. But as we have seen, you build the team on a solid defence. Our defence has improved on last season.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Sorry Nos but I disagree, White has been ropey and shows his inexperience, Tavares had his arse handed to him in two recent matches and Lakonga may be better than Partey and Xhaka but the bar isn't exactly set high there. Tomiyasu looks good but he has been caught out a few times and in all honesty isn't under pressure from the alternatives. Odegaard has neither the physicality or speed of thought required at the moment and it shows with the number of times he gets caught on the ball.

So out of the 6 the only one who seems to be ready now is Ramsdale who has been exceptional at times.

That of course is just my opinion but as a group the inexperience and naivety shows against the better teams, couple that with the 'senior' players being found seriously wanting and for this season and probably next it i am not convinced it is money well spent to meet our current needs.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:29 pm
g88ner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Martinez-lite
Peps Cone Boy
Captain Black
Farteta
Farty Pants

How Very dare you....!!!!????? :D

Get a grip man... or do you need a pair of tweezers.....?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FFS It's just a laugh... you know "haaa haaa haaa" you know as in "banter" and a way and means of expressing the damn Frustration of having to endure all this awfulness! If you can't see that well :? I dunno - that's your problem...I am not the only one doing the name calling btw...so maybe you need to go and 'police' all the threads and every time you see a name used that Offends you - challenge that person.

At least I'm not referring to him as; what was the term YOU used 'mindless *word censored*' - Now if I'd used that term I might understand how you might be "offended" and yet you seem to think it's perfectly okay to call others on here "mindless *word censored*"....

You claim you have a 'high threshold point for being offended'

Naaah! I don't think you do, you are just looking for an argument, to stamp your feet and fwow a ickle tantwum - at least that is how it looks...unless of course you have a "thing" for our manager...which would go some way to explaining your outburst. Mind you he is one hell of a good looking version of the male species... or so Rodders said. :D

btw: Augie came up with a good one, at least I think it was Augie :rubchin: or it may have been SteveO or any number of other posters - who all use different names for the manager of the club...- check out the blue Bin Dippers thread...there's quite a few on there.

ie:

Shit-for-brains. :lol:
get a room you 2!

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

OneBardGooner wrote:

Martinez-lite
Peps Cone Boy
Captain Black
Farteta
Farty Pants

El beige
Beegee hair

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

falkirk goon wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:18 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

Martinez-lite
Peps Cone Boy
Captain Black
Farteta
Farty Pants

El beige
Beegee hair
:lol: :lol: :lol: :high5:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:29 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:29 pm
g88ner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Martinez-lite
Peps Cone Boy
Captain Black
Farteta
Farty Pants

How Very dare you....!!!!????? :D

Get a grip man... or do you need a pair of tweezers.....?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FFS It's just a laugh... you know "haaa haaa haaa" you know as in "banter" and a way and means of expressing the damn Frustration of having to endure all this awfulness! If you can't see that well :? I dunno - that's your problem...I am not the only one doing the name calling btw...so maybe you need to go and 'police' all the threads and every time you see a name used that Offends you - challenge that person.

At least I'm not referring to him as; what was the term YOU used 'mindless *word censored*' - Now if I'd used that term I might understand how you might be "offended" and yet you seem to think it's perfectly okay to call others on here "mindless *word censored*"....

You claim you have a 'high threshold point for being offended'

Naaah! I don't think you do, you are just looking for an argument, to stamp your feet and fwow a ickle tantwum - at least that is how it looks...unless of course you have a "thing" for our manager...which would go some way to explaining your outburst. Mind you he is one hell of a good looking version of the male species... or so Rodders said. :D

btw: Augie came up with a good one, at least I think it was Augie :rubchin: or it may have been SteveO or any number of other posters - who all use different names for the manager of the club...- check out the blue Bin Dippers thread...there's quite a few on there.

ie:

Shit-for-brains. :lol:
get a room you 2!
Not possible we would only end up arguing about what name to book it under! :lol: