Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

Nos89

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Nos89 »

I think the board have gone a bit early in announcing a contract extension for arteta, should wait to see where we finish in the league this season. I can understand the reason behind the announcement, especially after a semi final defeat.
The club is heading in the right direction on the pitch and believe they have the right person for the job to continue developing the team. The process is progressing.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Contract extension? Fucking insane!
We have one thing left to play for and it's still only January!
We do have a genuine chance of a top 4 finish and that must be the yardstick on this season!
An efl cup and a 5th place finish, for me , would rank below finishing in the top 4!
Clge football ( no matter how much I hate it)
is what defines a "big club"
We might not have much of a chance of winning it, but if we can attract the right players, then the "knockout stages" is the minimum we should demand.
So why not wait until the season has finished before offering an extension?
What if we capitulate in the last 5 or 6 games "emerylike" and blow a great opportunity to fuck sperz and utd?
We will be stuck with him for another season or have to sack him the following mid season, when we're bottom half if table at xmas

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The Gunners have conceded the opening goal in a league-low four games this season. However, they are the only club to have lost every match when conceding first.

^^^
Stat on the BBC preview for the game tomorrow. The stat that says it all about Arteta's leaderless, gutless side - go a goal down, forget any chance of getting anything

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I would prefer this guy at the wheel than Farteta.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ze-nVh2Bs

He knows where he is going, looks re-assured and most certainly would save on the wages bill AND would Fuck Clive El Cunto off straight away!

BRING HIN IN! :barscarf:

BRING HIM IN! :barscarf:

BRING HIM IN! :barscarf:

KingHenry

Post by KingHenry »

Redarmy wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:27 am
Arsenal will reportedly offer Mikel Arteta a new two-year deal in order to ward off interest from Manchester City who see the Spaniard as a potential replacement for Pep Guardiola.
Why would Man City want Arteta?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:05 pm
The Gunners have conceded the opening goal in a league-low four games this season. However, they are the only club to have lost every match when conceding first.

^^^
Stat on the BBC preview for the game tomorrow. The stat that says it all about Arteta's leaderless, gutless side - go a goal down, forget any chance of getting anything
Most annoying thing is, I can see where he is trying to go and we have made some really good signings.
I respect that he has taken no shit on the disciplinary side.
Although he hasn't dealt with on the pitch stupidity from Xhaka, Partey and others!
However his game management that just hasn't improved! Not from day 1.
If he takes us to top 4? Then ? The summer transfer window will be crucial, Xhaka's departure an absolute must!!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:48 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:05 pm

^^^
Most annoying thing is, I can see where he is trying to go and we have made some really good signings.
I respect that he has taken no shit on the disciplinary side.
Although he hasn't dealt with on the pitch stupidity from Xhaka, Partey and others!
However his game management that just hasn't improved! Not from day 1.
If he takes us to top 4? Then ? The summer transfer window will be crucial, Xhaka's departure an absolute must!!
The summer signings were good mate - no doubt about that. The mystery of Xhaka is something that will outlast the meaning of life as an unanswered question- the useless c.unt has had Wenger, Emery and Arteta all under his spell FFS

That stat I posted confirms two things - as you say, his total lack of in game management. We go behind and he does fuck all to affect the outcome. Secondly, and I'm bored with fucking saying it....there just isn't a leader in the group. Even if he pulled off some sort of miracle in the window these next few days, it will be another "superkid". You know the type - amazing when we are 2-0 up, and as weak as gnat's piss when we go behind

That stat is damning - lost every game when the first goal is against us, and only 1 point at home to Palace when behind at any stage. Surely any manager worth their salt can see that??

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

JANUARY. :shock: :x

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:04 pm
BFG4 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:12 am
Redarmy wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:27 am
Arsenal will reportedly offer Mikel Arteta a new two-year deal in order to ward off interest from Manchester City who see the Spaniard as a potential replacement for Pep Guardiola.
This really sums up the club, rewarding someone who has done fuck all with us. I keep seeing twats online claim we are going in the right direction under Arteta but I don't see it. When we get to May we'll be back around 7th or 8th, and if the fuckwits running the club reward that sort of mediocrity then I'm done with the club.
That's the thing. How is this progress? Season over in January and we'll probably finish anywhere from 5th to 8th. Even with Wenger at his worst I don't think we were ever done before January ended were we?

I think these people confuse some players going through periods of good form as progress as a team. It's not.

Just read that to yourselves again. Season over in January. JANUARY.
Wasn't it when forest knocked us out last time ?

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

We are in a better position now that we were when Arteta first joined. Its obvious we have a pathway to being competitive at the top again. But so many things need to go right for that to happen. We need to keep the young players, we need to supplement them with quality older players. Partey & Lacazette are the only players over 25 who show any leadership capabilities, Xhaka plays with the experience and temperament of a 15 year old. Lacazette is likely leaving this year too. Almost every key player is at the beginning of their career. This team is more youthful than the teams Wenger would pick in the League Cup, but this is our first team!!

This is his 4th season as manager and he has almost flushed every Wenger/Emery player from the squad and replaced them with a very young team. I think he is a capable manager but whether he can get this young team to play a higher quality of football and display the killer streak needed to be a top team, I have no idea. But I would prefer to keep him as there is part of me that thinks he can

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arsenal NIL - Burnley NIL

And the Agony goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on infinitum.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Like the Wenger project all over again - promising youngsters, never sign the right experienced players to go alongside them, always have one or two positions on the field unsolved, always talk about 'great potential'

One massive yawn

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

January? :rubchin:

January. :o

JANU-FUCKING-ARY. :shock:

What a mess. Fucking novice manager. Useless brainless spineless owners. The greatest generation of young players to come through since Adams, Thomas, Rocky and Merson and we are going to waste them with this novice idiot manager.... :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:29 pm
January? :rubchin:

January. :o

JANU-FUCKING-ARY. :shock:

What a mess. Fucking novice manager. Useless brainless spineless owners. The greatest generation of young players to come through since Adams, Thomas, Rocky and Merson and we are going to waste them with this novice idiot manager.... :roll:
Fucking travesty isn't it. Just imagine what a proper manager would make of this bunch of talented kids. You'd imagine it would be virtually impossible to draw 0-0 with Burnley thats for sure

The bloke is going to drag this club even further behind than Wenger did. Hard to believe but true

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again. Long balls to short forwards vs tall defenders. A recipe for getting fuck all.

Arsenal is the same. Signing crap on big wages. Wait 5 years to flush them from the squad. Do it again. Bringing a crop of youth through and leaving them to struggle whilst the experienced pros stink the place out.

We have no experienced heads at Board level. Just novices finding their way.

It has to fucking stop! :banghead: