other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:55 pm
What an absolutely fucking awful day of football results (aren’t they all these days? :banghead: )

Was watching soccer Saturday and when they said there was going to be 3 added minutes at old Trafford there was just an air of inevitability about it. It’s just fucking standard at this stage.

Then to add insult to injury the fucking barrel siting fraud bends over for the Saudis :suicide:

I’m off to fucking bed.
God bless you for still giving a fuck mate. Just a meh from me on all of it

All I hope is that City win the league at a canter again because the only alternatives are too much to bear, and that the vermin scum lose every game. As for the rest of it - between 2nd and 17th it's all a big bag of meaningless shite and we are slap back in the middle of it.

If you offered me 7th now and call off the rest of the entire boring season, I'd gladly accept

When does Wimbledon start ?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:17 pm
Jack Wilshere on Rashford’s goal
“ That’s offside at the Emirates “
Fair fucks to Jack. 8) But that'll be the end of his media work now though. :roll:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:56 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:55 pm
What an absolutely fucking awful day of football results (aren’t they all these days? :banghead: )

Was watching soccer Saturday and when they said there was going to be 3 added minutes at old Trafford there was just an air of inevitability about it. It’s just fucking standard at this stage.

Then to add insult to injury the fucking barrel siting fraud bends over for the Saudis :suicide:

I’m off to fucking bed.
God bless you for still giving a fuck mate. Just a meh from me on all of it

All I hope is that City win the league at a canter again because the only alternatives are too much to bear, and that the vermin scum lose every game. As for the rest of it - between 2nd and 17th it's all a big bag of meaningless shite and we are slap back in the middle of it.

If you offered me 7th now and call off the rest of the entire boring season, I'd gladly accept

When does Wimbledon start ?
SteveO, my name is rodders and I’m an addict. Welcome to the group. Arsenal are my fix, plain and simple. On reflection it’s probably better that it’s that than something more destructive (is there even something more fucking destructive :lol: ) regardless of the mental and physical toll it’s taken on me down through the years!

Maybe I’ve an addictive personality, I probably do, but it’s always been this way, for as long as I can remember. To nick a quote from the great Chuck Dickens - they were the best of times, they were the worst of times, and that’s what they were and that’s what they continue to be to this day and as long as I’m breathing in and out it will forever be this way.

Arsenal have been responsible for the highest highs in my life but on the flip side they’ve also inflicted the lowest lows. From tears of joy to tears of anguish I’m forever chasing the buzz. The 3 points, the last minute winner, the thrill of the goal, the adrenaline, the buzz, the ups, the downs, the rollercoaster ride of the season I I just fucking can’t get enough of it.

I think I was maybe 14/15 when Fever Pitch came out and I vividly remember reading it and thinking that for the first time in my life everything finally made sense. The words I was reading off those pages could have been written by me, time didn’t pass by in years it passed by in seasons. My whole week’s mood could be determined by the result of a Saturday 3pm kick off (remember those?). My entire life revolved around the fate of a football club from north London and that proved to be equal part exciting and equal part terrifying.

I have a million stories I could tell you about my life as a fan but one that comes to mind right now is form the double winning season in ‘98. We were away to Bolton after Christmas with the title race hotting up but went there with a very depleted side and our backs up against the wall. I remember listening to the game on 5 Live in my bedroom and the pressure and tension was just incredible. When you listen to a game on the radio every time the opposition cross the half way line it’s a doomsday scenario in your head. Not being able to see what’s going on makes you fear the absolute worst right throughout the 90 minutes, it’s incredibly stressful.

Anyway Christopher Wreh put us one up and we had to fucking dig in and defend for our lives. I remember my heart was absolutely pounding our through my chest and the tension and pressure I was feeling was incredible. It got to such a level that I could no longer bare to be in the same room as the radio so I left and paced up and down the landing listening to the commentary from there.

For the final 10 minutes I couldn’t even bare that so I went down stairs and sat on the bottom stair with my head in my hands straining to hear the commentary from my room. It was like a coping mechanism for my body to get as far away as possible from the source of my anguish.

When the full time whistle went the feeling of absolute euphoria I felt was incredible and chasing those kind of highs is what keeps me coming back for more.

If we were 13th on the last day of the season and we needed to win by 2 clear goals to finish 12 I would get a buzz out of it if that’s what happened. I’ll take it where I can get it no matter the significance of the game.

I know me and you took the major piss out of the glorious 4th place finishes at St. James’s and the hawthorns but I also got a pretty decent high from those days.

Tomorrow against Burnley I will get a buzz if we score, I’ll get a bigger one if we win and if the chavs beat the scum I’ll chalk it down as pretty decent Sunday all things considered. If things don’t go our way I’ll be down in the dumps so once more everything hangs in the balance.

I’m always chasing the next hit and whilst it would be great if it was coming from winning leagues or champions leagues if it comes from a 1 nil win from an OG in a nothing game do ya know what? I’ll fucking take it and once the euphoria fades I’ll have a look to see where the next hit is coming from because like a proper addict I’m always chasing the next one.

Disclaimer…I’ve had lots of wine tonight but tomorrow 2pm is my drug of choice.

My name is rodders and I’m an addict. :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Great post Rodders - enjoyed reading that. Those type of experiences were certainly something I experienced every week up until the Kroenke era. Like you I can remember sitting there listening to some crackly radio broadcast or worse still staring at the latest scores on Teletext. When I first met my missus 20 years ago, she and her family used to find it amusing that I'd either watch MOTD and buy six Sunday papers if we won, and refuse all media if we lost. Nothing I've done before or after in life could be better than the feeling of going to matches with mates, being surrounded by your own, the pre-match and post-match piss ups and banter......and of course the glorious wins and trophies along the way.

Unlike you, these days I feel little of that. Its rare that I set foot in the bowl these days and when I do (like the other night), I generally find it a depressing experience. Had 2 offers of tickets for today and simply can't be arsed. Of course I want us to win, but I hate us being in the CL anyway so all this top four doesn't grip me in the way it does others. Its not my money is it? Also people seem happy to forget that we had six years of being in the thing under Kroenke and we didn't sign the world's best players, or manage to keep our better ones during those years anyway.......so all this BS talk about how vital it is to the club doesn't wash with me

To be fair its not just Arsenal that has started turning me against the thrill of football - its the modern day Sky/BT/Premier League/CL culture and most of what it stands for. The complete lack of respect for domestic cups, the celebration of 4th place at the expense of everything else, the deliberate sabotage of VAR, the female presenters sprouting utter bollocks in the name of equality, the 'buy a ticket 2 months in advance' and watch it get moved to a Monday night, overseas owners who couldn't give two fucks about fans.........and endless other things too. Just doesn't light the fire inside me anymore.

Didn't watch MOTD last night and doubt I'll even see any of the goals from the whole weekend unless we win today and I might just have a look at the evening round up on Sky

John F

Post by John F »

I do not condone the bottle-throwing at Everton but I am not sure it warranted two Villa players rolling around holding their heads . In the slow-motion replay,I saw it didn't touch them.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I would think that there's a lot of us that can feel the pain .
Like Steve O I have MOTD on permanent record and frquently get to midweek before I delete it unwatched or wait for the contentious parts to be raised on fans forums and fast forward to them and then turn it off .
I never listen to the utterences of any of the so called pundits . Some of them played , the female ones didn't ,not in a comparable game anyway , so I am not interested on what they have to say . They don't relate to me.
They have never stood on the terraces straining to stretch 5 foot 7 " supporting legs to get a view of the pitch , I doubt they know what a crash barrier is and the importance of getting in front of one . I doubt they ever bought a bag of Percy Daltons.
But yes The Arsenal is in my blood , It's my Dad's fault and his brothers which in turn is my grandad's fault because he indoctrinated them and to my chagrin I have infected my son and in turn my granddaughter .
Why do we do it ?

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

John F wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:51 am
I do not condone the bottle-throwing at Everton but I am not sure it warranted two Villa players rolling around holding their heads . In the slow-motion replay,I saw it didn't touch them.
It seemed to hit one who didn't actually go down and the two who didn't get hit did go down. If it had happened against us, they'd have had endless replays trying to prove it didn't hit anyone and then it would have been our fault for celebrating near the opposition supporters. Again, it's not right to go lobbing things onto the pitch but it does seem that the media, as always, have their own moral rules for when it's bad and when it's just "high passion" from supporters. I s remember us playing at Old Trafford in the cup in 2003 and some cúnt throwing a glass bottle which landed inches from Edu or perhaps Wiltord as he went to take a throw. The linesman ran on and quickly picked it up and got rid of it rather than show the ref and have it put in the report. Don't know why that still bothers me but it does.
On a more serious level, I read a piece this week about how arrests for violent behaviour at football is up again to record levels over the last however long it was. As we saw with the national team last summer, England seems to have a growing problem with total dickheads going to football again. A bunch of chavs getting pissed up, doing cocaine and then thinking they can do what they want.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:45 am
SteveO, my name is rodders and I’m an addict. Welcome to the group. Arsenal are my fix, plain and simple. On reflection it’s probably better that it’s that than something more destructive (is there even something more fucking destructive :lol: ) regardless of the mental and physical toll it’s taken on me down through the years!

Maybe I’ve an addictive personality, I probably do, but it’s always been this way, for as long as I can remember. To nick a quote from the great Chuck Dickens - they were the best of times, they were the worst of times, and that’s what they were and that’s what they continue to be to this day and as long as I’m breathing in and out it will forever be this way.

Arsenal have been responsible for the highest highs in my life but on the flip side they’ve also inflicted the lowest lows. From tears of joy to tears of anguish I’m forever chasing the buzz. The 3 points, the last minute winner, the thrill of the goal, the adrenaline, the buzz, the ups, the downs, the rollercoaster ride of the season I I just fucking can’t get enough of it.

I think I was maybe 14/15 when Fever Pitch came out and I vividly remember reading it and thinking that for the first time in my life everything finally made sense. The words I was reading off those pages could have been written by me, time didn’t pass by in years it passed by in seasons. My whole week’s mood could be determined by the result of a Saturday 3pm kick off (remember those?). My entire life revolved around the fate of a football club from north London and that proved to be equal part exciting and equal part terrifying.

I have a million stories I could tell you about my life as a fan but one that comes to mind right now is form the double winning season in ‘98. We were away to Bolton after Christmas with the title race hotting up but went there with a very depleted side and our backs up against the wall. I remember listening to the game on 5 Live in my bedroom and the pressure and tension was just incredible. When you listen to a game on the radio every time the opposition cross the half way line it’s a doomsday scenario in your head. Not being able to see what’s going on makes you fear the absolute worst right throughout the 90 minutes, it’s incredibly stressful.

Anyway Christopher Wreh put us one up and we had to fucking dig in and defend for our lives. I remember my heart was absolutely pounding our through my chest and the tension and pressure I was feeling was incredible. It got to such a level that I could no longer bare to be in the same room as the radio so I left and paced up and down the landing listening to the commentary from there.

For the final 10 minutes I couldn’t even bare that so I went down stairs and sat on the bottom stair with my head in my hands straining to hear the commentary from my room. It was like a coping mechanism for my body to get as far away as possible from the source of my anguish.

When the full time whistle went the feeling of absolute euphoria I felt was incredible and chasing those kind of highs is what keeps me coming back for more.

If we were 13th on the last day of the season and we needed to win by 2 clear goals to finish 12 I would get a buzz out of it if that’s what happened. I’ll take it where I can get it no matter the significance of the game.

I know me and you took the major piss out of the glorious 4th place finishes at St. James’s and the hawthorns but I also got a pretty decent high from those days.

Tomorrow against Burnley I will get a buzz if we score, I’ll get a bigger one if we win and if the chavs beat the scum I’ll chalk it down as pretty decent Sunday all things considered. If things don’t go our way I’ll be down in the dumps so once more everything hangs in the balance.

I’m always chasing the next hit and whilst it would be great if it was coming from winning leagues or champions leagues if it comes from a 1 nil win from an OG in a nothing game do ya know what? I’ll fucking take it and once the euphoria fades I’ll have a look to see where the next hit is coming from because like a proper addict I’m always chasing the next one.

Disclaimer…I’ve had lots of wine tonight but tomorrow 2pm is my drug of choice.

My name is rodders and I’m an addict. :wink:

Post Of The Year Rodders me ole mucker... and Fellow Addict... I too have had times so alike to what you have described (listening to a game on the radio whilst placing myself in another room - even in the garden once - with the commentary just - Just barely within hearing distance through the window whilst I pretended to do the garden - so that if either side scored I would hear the Roar!)..

My name is OBG and I too am an Addict - But proud to be so in such illustrious company - Arsenal FC is a life life Love Affair, Marriage and Addiction... Sometimes it takes me to blissful happiness and Heaven sometimes it utterly destroys me and makes me one miserable, inconsolable, cranky fucker...

Such is Life as a Gooner.

Ooh! To Ohh! To Be! :barscarf:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Interesting point on the bottle throwing incident, I seem to remember a number of years back players were absolutely slated for celebrating in front of opposition fans as it was seen as encitement, I'm fairly sure some players even got booked for it.

When city scored the winner against us and their player was celebrating in front of our fans the media pundits were slating the fans for their disgusting behaviour towards the player, not him for antagonising the fans, I believe there is even an ongoing investigation into it.

My take on this is that far too many commentators are ex-players and they see nothing wrong with that sort of behaviour of course it is yet another situation where players are allowed to get away with things because the media/ex-players pundits won't call out their friends/colleagues

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:51 pm
Interesting point on the bottle throwing incident, I seem to remember a number of years back players were absolutely slated for celebrating in front of opposition fans as it was seen as encitement, I'm fairly sure some players even got booked for it.

When city scored the winner against us and their player was celebrating in front of our fans the media pundits were slating the fans for their disgusting behaviour towards the player, not him for antagonising the fans, I believe there is even an ongoing investigation into it.

My take on this is that far too many commentators are ex-players and they see nothing wrong with that sort of behaviour of course it is yet another situation where players are allowed to get away with things because the media/ex-players pundits won't call out their friends/colleagues
Jota did the same on Thursday. Hand cupping his ear, tongue out and running towards our supporters when most of that lower tier was filled with Scousers.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

SteveO that brought back memories of me waiting nervously for ceefax to cycle through the pages while the game was going on. Arsenal would be on page 1 of 4 and I’d just sit there staring at the screen as it moved painfully slowly to page 2, then 3 and finally 4 when the tension built to see if anything had happened in our game. Then page one would load again and it would be all pixelated and I’d shit myself thinking the worst, we must be 1 down with a man sent off but when it cycled around again it was still nil nil. Great times :lol:

I know plenty people who’ve walked away for a whole variety of reasons, the PL, the cost, the stadium move, the Kroenkes, the badge being changed, the post lobotomy Wenger era, the oil money being pimped into the game and a million other reasons of whatever you’re having yourself.

And there are times I envy them massively but thats why I used the drug analogy in my post, I can’t walk away because I’m fucking addicted to it. I went in search of my fix against the victims the other night but came away empty handed, so here I am again today hoping to get a buzz from Burnley. And sure the hit won’t be the same as beating the victims which in turn doesn’t match the high of beating the scum but I’ll take what I can, a score’s a score!

I mean that Bolton match I spoke about, imagine getting some psychologist to analyse what that particular experience did to me. I endured so much mental torture that I couldn’t even be in the same room as the radio, then things got so bad that I couldn’t even stomach being on the same floor of the house as it. So as a coping mechanism my mind is screaming at me to turn off the radio and walk away, to put an end to the source of my anguish but the best I could do was sit at the bottom of the stairs straining my ears to try and make out the commentary.

I was unable to walk away from something that was doing me serious harm, I was fucking addicted to it and I still am. Tragic.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:27 pm
SteveO that brought back memories of me waiting nervously for ceefax to cycle through the pages while the game was going on. Arsenal would be on page 1 of 4 and I’d just sit there staring at the screen as it moved painfully slowly to page 2, then 3 and finally 4 when the tension built to see if anything had happened in our game. Then page one would load again and it would be all pixelated and I’d shit myself thinking the worst, we must be 1 down with a man sent off but when it cycled around again it was still nil nil. Great times :lol:

I know plenty people who’ve walked away for a whole variety of reasons, the PL, the cost, the stadium move, the Kroenkes, the badge being changed, the post lobotomy Wenger era, the oil money being pimped into the game and a million other reasons of whatever you’re having yourself.

And there are times I envy them massively but thats why I used the drug analogy in my post, I can’t walk away because I’m fucking addicted to it. I went in search of my fix against the victims the other night but came away empty handed, so here I am again today hoping to get a buzz from Burnley. And sure the hit won’t be the same as beating the victims which in turn doesn’t match the high of beating the scum but I’ll take what I can, a score’s a score!

I mean that Bolton match I spoke about, imagine getting some psychologist to analyse what that particular experience did to me. I endured so much mental torture that I couldn’t even be in the same room as the radio, then things got so bad that I couldn’t even stomach being on the same floor of the house as it. So as a coping mechanism my mind is screaming at me to turn off the radio and walk away, to put an end to the source of my anguish but the best I could do was sit at the bottom of the stairs straining my ears to try and make out the commentary.

I was unable to walk away from something that was doing me serious harm, I was fucking addicted to it and I still am. Tragic.
In some ways I envy you mate (in terms of still being addicted). I do get a buzz out of seeing my eldest having the addiction. He's 21 and now at that age where every away trip is an adventure and you're full of hope - special times. I was 16 when we won the league at Anfield and his age when GG's teams were winning cups, and travelling round Europe. I've made lifelong friends on the back of all that and wouldn't change it for the world. My old man first took me when I was 5 in the late 70s, and I too was like the little lad in Fever Pitch - couldn't wait for the next 2 weeks to pass until the next home game. My eldest got back from Anfield at 4am the other night on the back of the first leg 0-0 and him and his mates were all buzzing..........brought back special memories of those sort of trips with mates back in the day

I can still get myself up for the cups but it just isn't quite the same. I was with my old man on Thursday night and we were talking about my first trip to Wembley being in 87 when we stuffed Rush's record up. I hoped when all the flags were waving before kick off and the fans were up for it that I'd somehow be able to recreate some of that excitement but apart from the odd "Tottnum get battered everywhere they go" being sung, after Jota's goal you could hear a pin drop. Luckily I met a kindred spirit who was sat behind me, as when we sang that song for the third time he just blurted out "how fucking sad does that sound when they've gone above us, and we're losing this". I just turned round and nodded in appreciation!

Maybe there will be days in the future to ignite the passion once more - a run to a European final or a title bid, but under this owner, manager and losing structure/model, I just don't see it. Selfishly it's the reason I want to be in the Europa League or Conference - the buzz of a trophy will always do it for me, rather than those glorious days at the Hawthorns/St James's Park as I just don't see the point. Play 38 games striving for something then when you get there, have no intention of being able to compete at all. Where's the fun in that? Give me a trip to Kazakhstan in the Conference League rather than a 5-0 battering in Munich any day of the week.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:17 pm
Jack Wilshere on Rashford’s goal
“ That’s offside at the Emirates “
Well he has fed all the children in the world so maybe they just helped him out a little, maybe the VAR was being run by the "Children in need" orginisation yesterday :lol:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Hearing Liverpool needed a favour so Jota walked into the keeper and got a pen

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:27 pm

Rodders great post, we’ve all been through it mate.

I particularly have a vivid memory of another crucial away day -,maybe in the 02 season or 04, when we’ were away at Bolton or Blackburn and we were down to 10 men with the score at 2-2. I had the tv on I the kitchen, on the teletext page and just kept pacing round the kitchen saying, “ Co,e on Arsenal, come on Arsenal”

It worked, we won 3-2 and went on to secure the title that season.

Now, most weeks I hate watching us, get little pleasure from it and for the life of my I have no idea why we all put ourselves through it.

My names Stuart, and I am an addict. :banghead: