other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:27 pm
SteveO that brought back memories of me waiting nervously for ceefax to cycle through the pages while the game was going on. Arsenal would be on page 1 of 4 and I’d just sit there staring at the screen as it moved painfully slowly to page 2, then 3 and finally 4 when the tension built to see if anything had happened in our game. Then page one would load again and it would be all pixelated and I’d shit myself thinking the worst, we must be 1 down with a man sent off but when it cycled around again it was still nil nil. Great times :lol:

I know plenty people who’ve walked away for a whole variety of reasons, the PL, the cost, the stadium move, the Kroenkes, the badge being changed, the post lobotomy Wenger era, the oil money being pimped into the game and a million other reasons of whatever you’re having yourself.

And there are times I envy them massively but thats why I used the drug analogy in my post, I can’t walk away because I’m fucking addicted to it. I went in search of my fix against the victims the other night but came away empty handed, so here I am again today hoping to get a buzz from Burnley. And sure the hit won’t be the same as beating the victims which in turn doesn’t match the high of beating the scum but I’ll take what I can, a score’s a score!

I mean that Bolton match I spoke about, imagine getting some psychologist to analyse what that particular experience did to me. I endured so much mental torture that I couldn’t even be in the same room as the radio, then things got so bad that I couldn’t even stomach being on the same floor of the house as it. So as a coping mechanism my mind is screaming at me to turn off the radio and walk away, to put an end to the source of my anguish but the best I could do was sit at the bottom of the stairs straining my ears to try and make out the commentary.

I was unable to walk away from something that was doing me serious harm, I was fucking addicted to it and I still am. Tragic.
I am the closest I've ever been to walking away. In fact I've tried. All this season I've tried not watching us. But still I do. I say to myself "I'll just watch a couple minutes" but end up yelling at the telly for 90 minutes.

I haven't been over to a game in at least 3 or 4 seasons and don't miss that at all strangely. I used to get to at least 8 to 12 home games, a couple aways, and at least one European home and away every season. For decades I did that. I lived for it. I thought I couldn't live without those trips to The Arsenal but now I don't miss them at all.

I've started watching NFL lately. Haven't watched it since I kind of supported the LA Raiders in the 80s - they were the bad boys of the NFL and reminded me of Arsenal a bit.

VAR and the diving and the "matey" snowflake media culture have all but killed my enjoyment of football and there is something kind of genuine or honest about the NFL that there used to be about English football. The NFL players give everything and have to be dragged off if injured. I watch modern fooblers diving, feigning injury, and signalling to the bench they want to come off after the slightest contact and I'm embarrassed to be a football fan.

If the NFL didn't wrap one hour of entertainment up in four hours of fucking tedium I would probably dump football and get back into the NFL full time.

I'm at a serious crossroads. Not sure where I'll be this time next year tbh.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

When Wenger left I actually got interested again, but since this fella was appointed he might just as well be back for all I care

GG's later teams were boring but could still defend, win big cup games against the odds and had Ian Wright

This lot? Well we all know there are some great kids but the fucktard in charge has made them as enjoyable to watch as 1980s Wimbledon

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Fat Tongue pushes chav in back, clear foul, has his goal disallowed and Rat Neville is "having none of it". A push in the back ffs. Fuck off Rat. :censored:

Five minutes now of Rat defending Fat Tongue. :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

This is how bitter I've become. I'm watching the scum chav game hoping to see some career ending injuries.... and to laugh at Fat Lukakgiroud... :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:12 pm
Fat Tongue pushes chav in back, clear foul, has his goal disallowed and Rat Neville is "having none of it". A push in the back ffs. Fuck off Rat. :censored:

Just heard that! He then watched the replay and rather than admit he got it wrong, claimed that Kane was putting his hand out to steady himself and that Thiago used his experience to get the foul

England captain syndrome is alive and well

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:17 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

Just heard that! He then watched the replay and rather than admit he got it wrong, claimed that Kane was putting his hand out to steady himself and that Thiago used his experience to get the foul

A bit like how Alan Shitrag used to always use his elbows "to support his jump" rather than to actually deliberately elbow a defender in the face or temple.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Just watching this Chavs v Scum match and the Chavs knowhow is top notch.

Take the cyclical foul on the halfway line time and time again, and the likes of Azpilicueta, Rudiger and Thiago still so up for games like this. Bring on Kante too

Sure they've got all the money in the world but they also sign experience as well as youth

The top 3 are so much better than the rest it's frightening

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:59 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:17 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

A bit like how Alan Shitrag used to always use his elbows "to support his jump" rather than to actually deliberately elbow a defender in the face or temple.

I don't normally bother watching the scum or chavs, but wanted to see where we are in relation them.

Chavs play really good, fast flowing football - they all know where they are meant to be and hardly need to look when passing the ball and they know how to look after themselves via the dark arts

It's plain to see the scum (especially fat tongue) have taken on board Cunte's kick the fucker if you can whilst playing the ball philosophy to a whole new level, they have one player Doherty who must be the dirtiest cunnt I've see in a long time - how he wasn't red carded in the first half is a mystery, considering the Ref (amazingly) had a good game.

Needless to say - If we played either of them next week would we get RAPED.

WE are soooooo far off Top 3 or even 4 - It is Embarrassing.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I can definitely relate to the “addiction” posts on here, although results don’t affect me so much these days for sure.
What I still do is to make sure I know when every Arsenal match is on and make sure nothing gets in the way of it ( even though it will probably be crap and be 2 hours wasted in my life).

Recently I saw that our next match is away at Wolves on a Thursday night next month. (Pretty random night for a PL match :roll: ).
Anyway I was seriously annoyed that it clashed with a gig that I had got booked to go to that night. Anyway this week the gig got postponed again due to COVID and so I will be able to watch the match :barscarf: probably get battered by them mind you!

Last time I was at the bowl was end of Feb 2020 - do I miss it ? No.
That last match was v Olympiakos at home - who dumped us out of the Europa League. Embarrassing.
Arteta was 2 months into the job so maybe understandable that he didn’t get too much abuse for the defeat. BUT looking back the warning signs were there. Remember this was a straightforward home match in theory against a European minnow, but I remember how poor the in game management was - and you know what, this has not changed one bit in the 2 years since.

Yes there have been some good young players coming through, but we seem to have been in transition for about 15 years now and I don’t see any end to this period to be honest. I will keep watching the matches, but get more and more detached with each passing season.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

The Wolves match was an Amazon Prime game. Their matches are on Thursdays generally hence the rearranged date is a Thursday.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:14 pm
This is how bitter I've become. I'm watching the scum chav game hoping to see some career ending injuries.... and to laugh at Fat Lukakgiroud... :lol:
Welcome to my world! Sad isn't it. Later day wenger took it away, sick gave me some back (oo err), but this *word censored* is taking it all away again.

Fucking rat king defending kane...prick. And how a Tangagaga wasnt sent off for 2 yellows for blatant pushing/holding/shirt pulling as players beat him, first was given 2nd 10 mins later not even a foul.

You can guarantee we would have had a load of yellows/reds had we done what scum did today,

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

All the addict stuff. i was like that i recall listening to us lose 3-2 i think to villa from the landing as teen, in the wenger years and punching the bed in tears of frustration, not sure what year that was.

The whole ceefax/teletext (316 on ceefax?)thing used to do it as a kid a and always with county cricket too, pooping myself if i looked at the score it would jinx it, waiting till full time before looking at scores etc.

Thats gone for me with us now. I feel similar about the scums results (hoping to see them lose) and wont read the papers when we fail to win and they do win.

I still have that fix for cricket though, instead of ceefax, now the bbc or cricinfo scores online...and often only checking when Essex are batting at lunch or tea of or close of play (unless we were battering the opp already and had big score), thats still my drug sad as it is, not that i ever go to games. Ceefax (340 for cricket) typically had a delay in the score/overs updating (as did cricinfo scorecards online in the early days) when a wicket had fallen so used to poop myself if we were batting, and if bowling get incredibly annoyed if the batters name hadnt changed colour to indicate out and it was just a delay on the overs/score moving and not a wicket.

The cricket thing boils down to playing the game sitting in the same place when people are doing well in a tight finish, not doing anything to jinx things. Mental but is what it is!

NickF

Post by NickF »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:37 pm
WE are soooooo far off Top 3 or even 4 - It is Embarrassing.
What does it matter - City will most likely win their 4th title in 5 years. The media will tell you it is the best league in the world but really it isn't at all competitive anymore.

Same with the champions league - semi-finals are normally 4 oil rich clubs with two meeting in the final. How interesting is that?

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Scum losing just made the day that little bit better.
Just watched Carl Jenkinson score after coming off the bench in his first game for Melbourne City. Useless info but someone my like to know what happened to him. He's still an Arsenal supporter !. :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ray C wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:12 am
Scum losing just made the day that little bit better.
Just watched Carl Jenkinson score after coming off the bench in his first game for Melbourne City. Useless info but someone my like to know what happened to him. He's still an Arsenal supporter !. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Scum losing the only bright spark in a dull day alright. Just a shame it meant the chav winning but I'll take it!

So that's where Jenko ended up?! I so wanted him to succeed with us. Its a real pity he didn't.