Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

arrgee

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by arrgee »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:04 pm
If it was basketball we’d have won, he’s gone full blown batshit Wenger :roll:
Yep. The reason Arsenal aren’t scoring goals is because Captain Black didn’t sign a striker and got rid of the one striker in the squad who might score from open play. Lackofgoals and Nketiah must be two of the most ineffective front men in the top four divisions (Orient have better), yet that is all Arsenal have. The reliance on Smith Rowe and Saka scoring is farcical given they are midfielders that are there to supplement the strikers not to score all the goals. When Pires and Ljungberg were scoring goals for fun, they had at least four top strikers (Henry, Bergkamp, Kanu & Wiltord) who were also scoring.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

If we dont finish 4th then I dont see why he should get a new deal.

Part of the lingering malaise of poor performance is people getting undeserved chances. Arteta will have had three seasons after this one, I dont see what he would get a fourth if he was unable to convert our position from a month ago into 4th place.

As for ASL and Tavares, why do I get the feeling these two will linger in the squad for years to come? Tomiyasu, Ramsdale, Odegaard are of similar age and have already proved their worth despite arriving in the same transfer window. Players should be brought in ahead of Tavares and ASL, and if that renders them obsolete then they get sold.

Blim

Post by Blim »

arrgee wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:43 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Yep. The reason Arsenal aren’t scoring goals is because Captain Black didn’t sign a striker and got rid of the one striker in the squad who might score from open play. Lackofgoals and Nketiah must be two of the most ineffective front men in the top four divisions (Orient have better), yet that is all Arsenal have. The reliance on Smith Rowe and Saka scoring is farcical given they are midfielders that are there to supplement the strikers not to score all the goals. When Pires and Ljungberg were scoring goals for fun, they had at least four top strikers (Henry, Bergkamp, Kanu & Wiltord) who were also scoring.
:hail: Spot on.

skipper

Post by skipper »

Josh Kroenke, who until 3 years ago didn't know basics of "soccer" gives the job and shitloads of money to the guy who never managed anyone or anything. What can possibly go wrong?

We're currently 6th in spite of Arteta, not because of him.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

We sacked Emery and I thought it was the right call at the time but to replace him with a novice was one of the most negligent things this club has ever done and now when the inevitable has happened and this has blown up in their faces the club are refusing to accept defeat(ironic when you see how easily our players do on the pitch) and will stick with Arteta until the bitter end. Imagine being Emery watching on at this, he was sacked after a season and a bit but this twat on his apprenticeship has been allowed stink things up since December 2019.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

The non negotiable was to get top 4 this season without European football we went out 3rd rd FA Cup, he has had backing we have collapsed business end of the season the process is broken.II we had come 5th improved and gone deep in both cups and won one most would of settled for it.

Who are realistic targets for me next manager PV4 but thats not going to happen and tbh wouldn't be my first choice. Mancini again possible but I don't see him as any long term fix another I'm not sold on totally. With Abramovich gone it's a shame as Tuchel would of probably been sacked and he would of been a good fit for us we missed out on Klopp etc holding onto Wenger years too long.

Only one that stands out for me is Potter even with his poor run Brighton regularly test the best teams and under him with a good forward Brighton would be 6-8th thats seriously punching above their weight. Comes across very well with media and players fight for him I have no doubt he's the sole reason Brighton are still in the PL. Would he do better with our current group of players? Yes for me by a good margin.

I write this and whatever the end of season brings (not much) I expect this spoofer to start the next season with us but be gone by the time the world cup gets going and that lies the problem another wasted season with this charlatan we have wasted time and money with Arteta. Let him move on to Everton or some other club happy to think they are getting a project manager that simply is winging it.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

skipper wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:29 am
Josh Kroenke, who until 3 years ago didn't know basics of "soccer" gives the job and shitloads of money to the guy who never managed anyone or anything. What can possibly go wrong?

That shit load of money was actually well spent.

Whatever else Arteta is he brought us Ramsdale, White, Tomiyasu and Odegaard.

He wouldn't be the first tactical sacking. Ranieri was sacked by Chelsea not because he deserved it, but because he wasnt the man to lead them forward.

Arteta must do more to remain in the job. He is manager after all, not chief scout. Whats the point on making good signings if you cant convert into results

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

The atmosphere at the club by the end of this month may well be toxic if we lose to Chelsea and United in the next week.

I then don’t see any way back for Arteta.
He is tactically incompetent and has proved he can’t handle players with attitude like Auba, Guendozi - both of whom are playing much better since leaving the club.

Outside the top 3 in the PL most teams are rubbish, yet despite spending £250 million we might finish 7th or 8th when we had top 4 totally in our grasp. It is failure on an epic scale.

If we were a big club then Arteta would have been sacked last night - the fact he remains shows how lacking in ambition the club really is.
For that reason alone this I believe is the lowest point to be an Arsenal fan in the past 50 years.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:43 am
The atmosphere at the club by the end of this month may well be toxic if we lose to Chelsea and United in the next week.

He is tactically incompetent and has proved he can’t handle players with attitude like Auba, Guendozi - both of whom are playing much better since leaving the club.

Outside the top 3 in the PL most teams are rubbish, yet despite spending £250 million we might finish 7th or 8th when we had top 4 totally in our grasp. It is failure on an epic scale.

If we were a big club then Arteta would have been sacked last night - the fact he remains shows how lacking in ambition the club really is.
For that reason alone this I believe is the lowest point to be an Arsenal fan in the past 50 years.
^^ Amen brother

The type of managerial mistakes are ones that inexperienced managers make in all walks of life on a daily basis - exactly the reason why this 'project' was doomed to failure from day 1. You simply can't put 15 years of management into a 37 year old's head at a club like Arsenal. All managers have their favourites, but to get a combined total of £9m for Aubameyang and Guendouzi shows an immaturity and petulance that has cost the club £ millions. People now also moaning about Cedric when we tossed Calum Chambers away for £2m too - a mid 20s Englishman who was a more than able deputy. £11m for those 3 players is shambolic mismanagement on a scale that would make Wenger blush.

Its not his fault he hasn't got any experience but nor is there a cure, and I'm afraid these mistakes (if allowed to go unchallenged) will cost the club tens of millions more and eventually take us down to Everton type levels.

Aubameyang didn't become a bad player overnight. We're talking about one of the most prolific goalscorers in European football that has done it in four separate leagues. What he did become was a bad player for Arteta

Not wanting to bring in a modern day Adams/Vieira type is also the trait of an inexperienced manager who sees that type of figure as a challenge to their authority - again, something I witness in every day life. Surround yourselves with people that lick your arse and won't challenge you. That's fine when things are going well, but look at our record when we go a goal down - its amongst the worst in the league, because there isn't anyone out there with the gumption to say "fuck this lads, we'll sort this out ourselves". Its an appalling state of affairs. I've seen some lows over the years as have most on here but I never thought I would see the day where this proud football club appointing a manager without a single day's managerial experience. Sort of thing I'd expect at Wycombe Wanderers FFS, not the Arsenal

John F

Post by John F »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:09 am
skipper wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:29 am

That shit load of money was actually well spent.

Whatever else Arteta is he brought us Ramsdale, White, Tomiyasu and Odegaard.

He wouldn't be the first tactical sacking. Ranieri was sacked by Chelsea not because he deserved it, but because he wasnt the man to lead them forward.

Arteta must do more to remain in the job. He is manager after all, not chief scout. Whats the point on making good signings if you cant convert into results
I do not consider 50 mil on White well spent. I like him as a player but when we had other areas like the midfield that urgently needed addressing. White and Odegaard were a luxury we couldn't afford. In the summer Auba had made it clear he wasn't playing for Arteta by the way he was performing, Lacofthreat and Feather were both in their last year. A mess he should have sorted out. He could have got rid of at least one of the strikers and with the money spent on White and Odegaard reinvested in a strong midfielder and a striker who could hit a barn door. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners said look we gave you millions in the summer window now in the January window you need to cut costs. A question worth asking would an injury to White or Odegaard have such an impact as the injury to Partey or playing with a nonscoring striker has.
Last edited by John F on Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:24 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:43 am

^^ Amen brother

The type of managerial mistakes are ones that inexperienced managers make in all walks of life on a daily basis - exactly the reason why this 'project' was doomed to failure from day 1. You simply can't put 15 years of management into a 37 year old's head at a club like Arsenal. All managers have their favourites, but to get a combined total of £9m for Aubameyang and Guendouzi shows an immaturity and petulance that has cost the club £ millions. People now also moaning about Cedric when we tossed Calum Chambers away for £2m too - a mid 20s Englishman who was a more than able deputy. £11m for those 3 players is shambolic mismanagement on a scale that would make Wenger blush.

Its not his fault he hasn't got any experience but nor is there a cure, and I'm afraid these mistakes (if allowed to go unchallenged) will cost the club tens of millions more and eventually take us down to Everton type levels.

Aubameyang didn't become a bad player overnight. We're talking about one of the most prolific goalscorers in European football that has done it in four separate leagues. What he did become was a bad player for Arteta

Not wanting to bring in a modern day Adams/Vieira type is also the trait of an inexperienced manager who sees that type of figure as a challenge to their authority - again, something I witness in every day life. Surround yourselves with people that lick your arse and won't challenge you. That's fine when things are going well, but look at our record when we go a goal down - its amongst the worst in the league, because there isn't anyone out there with the gumption to say "fuck this lads, we'll sort this out ourselves". Its an appalling state of affairs. I've seen some lows over the years as have most on here but I never thought I would see the day where this proud football club appointing a manager without a single day's managerial experience. Sort of thing I'd expect at Wycombe Wanderers FFS, not the Arsenal

And make no mistake, that isnt by accident - he has systematically rid the club of any players who might challenge him or question his decisions. It isnt a coincidence that serial winners in football are the one's who set the highest standards and demand those standards are met by those around them - TA6 was far from an outstanding footballer, but he was driven to succeed and refused to accept failure. Compare that to pep's cone boy who has filled his (tiny) squad with players like xhaka who feel grateful to legohead and would never challenge him, and that is why we dont have a winning mentality in this squad. Auba and guendouzi were players who sometimes painted outside the lines and were not the type of robotic footballers that pep's cone boy covets - they were different types of players with character and individuality and pep's cone boy did not know how to handle them. If GG was manager the day guendouzi grabbed maupay by the throat he would likely have been given a new improved contract and patted on the back - legohead banished him and eventually ran him out of town, and that is the difference between a winning mentality or a selfish manager who puts his own ego ahead of everything else

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:

Did he say that ??? Seriously ?? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Full Batshit Wenger is True... His Arrogance and his comments after every game remind me of prime Wenger in his last few seasons....

ie: Completely Fuckin' Tonto.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:39 am
rodders999 wrote:

Did he say that ??? Seriously ?? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
It’s just an analogy ffs :lol:

He was just saying we did enough to win with possession, territory and chances but, unlike basketball where that’s generally who wins, football is more unforgiving and we were punished for being poor in the box.

You may think it’s a shit analogy but his general view that we weren’t clinical enough is true and I’m not sure it’s worthy of criticism.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

g88ner wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:28 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:39 am
rodders999 wrote:
It’s just an analogy ffs :lol:

He was just saying we did enough to win with possession, territory and chances but, unlike basketball where that’s generally who wins, football is more unforgiving and we were punished for being poor in the box.

You may think it’s a shit analogy but his general view that we weren’t clinical enough is true and I’m not sure it’s worthy of criticism.
It would be more honest to say that the reason Arsenal are not scoring are the strikers are not good enough. Lackofgoals and Nketiah don’t look like scoring so the goals are expected from the midfielders. It would be preferable to the basketball analogy. Especially given that Captain Black is responsible for who the strikers are. He has had over two years to find a striker or two.

The basketball analogy would be we have a couple of 5’ 6" players who are not capable of putting the ball into the basket.