Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Post Reply

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
7
8%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
23
25%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
19
21%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
42
46%
 
Total votes: 91

User avatar
augie
Posts: 28063
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:39 am
To rebuild a football team with young players you need an experienced manager. Wenger, Ferguson and Klopp are great examples of how to do this. Appointing a coach with no management experience, along with talented but young players doesn't work, has never worked, and probably will never work at elite football level. Arteta is wrong appointment at the wrong time, especially when there were more experienced coaches available, we went cheap, we got what we paid for. If Wenger returned to support Arteta, we'd have boxed off top 4 finish 4 games ago.


Appointing him in the first place was a big mistake - giving the c.unt a 3 year contract extension is an absolute disgrace and negligent imo

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 20171
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:22 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:39 am
To rebuild a football team with young players you need an experienced manager. Wenger, Ferguson and Klopp are great examples of how to do this. Appointing a coach with no management experience, along with talented but young players doesn't work, has never worked, and probably will never work at elite football level. Arteta is wrong appointment at the wrong time, especially when there were more experienced coaches available, we went cheap, we got what we paid for. If Wenger returned to support Arteta, we'd have boxed off top 4 finish 4 games ago.


Appointing him in the first place was a big mistake - giving the c.unt a 3 year contract extension is an absolute disgrace and negligent imo
Get the banners out next season and give this muppet c.unt absolute hell

Dick supposedly lost the dressing room, while this prick loses 6 out of 11 including Brighton, Palace, Southampton and Newcastle, and probably gets 100m more to spend on top of the 160m spanked last year....and 3 more years to produce shit like he did last night

We might mock the way Chavski have been run in recent years, but a display like that last night to cap off the mother of all collapses....we'd be waking up this morning to hear he had been sacked. We are a fucking disgrace. A club that appoints novices and rewards mediocrity

User avatar
BFG4
Posts: 2099
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by BFG4 »

The amount of pricks I've seen talking about progress today and how we are still going in the right direction under this novice. The new age fan is an absolute wanker who thinks that support equals blindly following and as long as our club is infested with these types of people then why would wiggy ever feel any pressure. It amazes me that people will actually go on Sunday, how anyone contributes a cent more to this bollox is mind boggling.

wilson2.0
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:36 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by wilson2.0 »

Is this going to turn into another Wenger saga. Where the manager has a perpetual project that doesn't really ever appear to be realized?

Next year Man United will be fresh under Ten Hag and Spurs will have a pre season with Conte. I understand with a young squad we have room for improvement and I see no reason why they club wont invest heavily like they did last year. But if Arteta doesn't improve significantly he faces the risk of faltering hard in what will be a packed field next year, especially with Newcastle.

The club also needs to go nuclear with the Saka deal. If we table him an offer and he doesn't sign it, it will reopen old wounds and create negative energy again.

As for Arteta. I back his drive to do better and will to win. But his ability as a manager doesn't appear to match his ambition, that being said he is better than Wenger whose loser legacy still casts a dark shadow.

User avatar
augie
Posts: 28063
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 am
Is this going to turn into another Wenger saga. Where the manager has a perpetual project that doesn't really ever appear to be realized?

Next year Man United will be fresh under Ten Hag and Spurs will have a pre season with Conte. I understand with a young squad we have room for improvement and I see no reason why they club wont invest heavily like they did last year. But if Arteta doesn't improve significantly he faces the risk of faltering hard in what will be a packed field next year, especially with Newcastle.

The club also needs to go nuclear with the Saka deal. If we table him an offer and he doesn't sign it, it will reopen old wounds and create negative energy again.

As for Arteta. I back his drive to do better and will to win. But his ability as a manager doesn't appear to match his ambition, that being said he is better than Wenger whose loser legacy still casts a dark shadow.


Pure and simple, pep's cone boy has NO excuse - he spent more money than any club in european football last summer, he got the club to write off money on players just to get them out of his squad, he had a freak season when all bar the top 2 clubs were utter dogshite, and he STILL fcuked it all up. Dont want to hear any crap about injuries or var/refereeing, cos the reality is that enough chips fell his way to make a top 4 spot ours for the taking, but him and the bottlejob players fcuked it up - he will no way get another season where ALL his top 4 rivals will be as dosghite again

User avatar
GoonerMuzz
Posts: 5601
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Defending is optional

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I would seriously be asking questions about the supposed togetherness and willingness to follow Arteta of the squad that has been mentioned numerous times this season.

IF as intimated by Xhaka and some in the media the team blatantly ignored or refused to follow his plan recently then it calls into question exactly how much the players really buy into the much touted 'process' because from where I'm standing right now it doesn't look so rosey :rubchin:

arrgee
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by arrgee »

BFG4 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:51 pm
The amount of pricks I've seen talking about progress today and how we are still going in the right direction under this novice. The new age fan is an absolute wanker who thinks that support equals blindly following and as long as our club is infested with these types of people then why would wiggy ever feel any pressure. It amazes me that people will actually go on Sunday, how anyone contributes a cent more to this bollox is mind boggling.
Technically they are going in the right direction from 8th and not in Europe to 5th and in Europe. So I guess, top 4 is the minimum expectation next season as that is the only possible progression. However if Captain Black gets to the the break in the season for the World Cup in much the same position as Emery in 2019 was i.e 8th after 13 games, 8 points off 4th spot and losing at home in the Europa League, I trust that he will be dismissed.
Last edited by arrgee on Wed May 18, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arrgee
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by arrgee »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:46 pm
I would seriously be asking questions about the supposed togetherness and willingness to follow Arteta of the squad that has been mentioned numerous times this season.

IF as intimated by Xhaka and some in the media the team blatantly ignored or refused to follow his plan recently then it calls into question exactly how much the players really buy into the much touted 'process' because from where I'm standing right now it doesn't look so rosey :rubchin:
Shades of Emery in May 2019…

… though I wouldn’t take a word of what Xhakash!t said seriously at all. He was simply deflecting the blame from his own inadequacies.

User avatar
skipper
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Hackney

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by skipper »

I think last two games showed (at least to me) that our manager is a bit of a coward, who shuns responsibility. It was all down to the refs at WHL and on Monday he turned on the players, and his lapdog Xhaka obliged in shifting the blame from him. Say what you want about Wenger, but he never ever criticised the players in the public. Most of players throughout the season played their heart out for him and his vision of football, whatever that is, and he couldn't force himself to do any better than turn into petulant liittle fucker in order to save his skin, yet again.

For those who think that players deserved to be criticised in such manner, I'll say you're wrong. That Thursday night defeat at WTL was a real blow for such young team and it was up to club's psychologist to try and fix it. Arteta should have known that players were mentally destroyed by Scum defeat, and still he couldn't take it on himself in front of the cameras. As for Xhaka, that TV appearance was the best example how he survives Arsenal manager after Arsenal manager, his head rarely leaves their backside.

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 20171
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

You know when you get a stat in your head and you just can't shake it......a bit like Rodders and the 378 shots Watford had when they beat us 37-0.

7 times we conceded first in away games

7 defeats

0 goals scored

An absolutely incredible record. I can't be arsed to look it up but I'm guessing we've never had that happen to us and I'm also guessing Watford and Norwich have even managed to do better

If you ever needed a stat to sum up the lack of leadership and belief under Carpet Head that would be it. I doubt there's a more shocking statistic for a supposed big club anywhere in Europe.

Those games include Newcastle, Palace, Southampton and Brentford as well as the expected maulings at City, Liverpool and Spurs

From what I recall of all of those games they followed a similar pattern too. A leaderless team who gave up completely, looked sorry for themselves and barely mustered a shot in the rest of the match

Absolutely shocking and yet c.unt chops won't recognise the lack of leadership at all

xisstential
Posts: 4572
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:33 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by xisstential »

I have been thinking since the Newcastle defeat how infuriating and stupid it was to give Arteta a new contract before having achieved anything, even CL, because tbh, that is all that was on offer. BUT, if they had said to Arteta, if you want a new contract you have to get us CL football, he still wouldn't have got it. This is the best you are going to get from him because this is his level. It does not matter what carrot you dangle, what offers or promises you make, what targets you set, he will not achieve them because he isn't good enough. Simple as that....now we are stuck with him and soon, very soon, Xhaka will be wearing the captains armband. We are in the worst position we have been in for decades. This is worse than Wenger's twilight years, much worse.

Gunner Rob
Posts: 7739
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Gunner Rob »

xisstential wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:57 am
I have been thinking since the Newcastle defeat how infuriating and stupid it was to give Arteta a new contract before having achieved anything, even CL, because tbh, that is all that was on offer. BUT, if they had said to Arteta, if you want a new contract you have to get us CL football, he still wouldn't have got it. This is the best you are going to get from him because this is his level. It does not matter what carrot you dangle, what offers or promises you make, what targets you set, he will not achieve them because he isn't good enough. Simple as that....now we are stuck with him and soon, very soon, Xhaka will be wearing the captains armband. We are in the worst position we have been in for decades. This is worse than Wenger's twilight years, much worse.
spot on because at least at the end of Wenger's reign there was at least some hope of the future.
with Arteta this is as you say as good as it will get with him. And when he finally goes we won't get anyone better because the club in giving Arteta a new contract have now indicated that 5th place is good enough.

We are now a club that aims for a top 4 place and might occasionally get it, whereas for the past 100 years we were a club that aimed for the title and very occasionally got it.

wilson2.0
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:36 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by wilson2.0 »

augie wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:57 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 am
Is this going to turn into another Wenger saga. Where the manager has a perpetual project that doesn't really ever appear to be realized?

Next year Man United will be fresh under Ten Hag and Spurs will have a pre season with Conte. I understand with a young squad we have room for improvement and I see no reason why they club wont invest heavily like they did last year. But if Arteta doesn't improve significantly he faces the risk of faltering hard in what will be a packed field next year, especially with Newcastle.

The club also needs to go nuclear with the Saka deal. If we table him an offer and he doesn't sign it, it will reopen old wounds and create negative energy again.

As for Arteta. I back his drive to do better and will to win. But his ability as a manager doesn't appear to match his ambition, that being said he is better than Wenger whose loser legacy still casts a dark shadow.


Pure and simple, pep's cone boy has NO excuse - he spent more money than any club in european football last summer, he got the club to write off money on players just to get them out of his squad, he had a freak season when all bar the top 2 clubs were utter dogshite, and he STILL fcuked it all up. Dont want to hear any crap about injuries or var/refereeing, cos the reality is that enough chips fell his way to make a top 4 spot ours for the taking, but him and the bottlejob players fcuked it up - he will no way get another season where ALL his top 4 rivals will be as dosghite again
To be fair. He inherited a pretty shit squad with average players on big money and good players on big money not putting the effort in. This will be Arteta's third season in charge but it feels like his first. This is year 1 into the cycle.

He fucked it this year and will get away with it and get another shot next year. But we cant give him another go if we are not in top 4 next year. im not for sacking managers like Chelsea but im not for unlimited chances too.

I also hope Arteta admits failure, if he comes out and says this year was a failure he would go up in my estimation. It would signal he isnt content. Unlike Wenger who tried to pass of finishing below Leicester as a success because we finished higher than we did the year before, as if losing a golden opportunity to win the title can be dressed up as success.

User avatar
IW8Goalmachine
Posts: 3232
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:15 am
Location: Galway

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:06 am
augie wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:57 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 am
Is this going to turn into another Wenger saga. Where the manager has a perpetual project that doesn't really ever appear to be realized?

Next year Man United will be fresh under Ten Hag and Spurs will have a pre season with Conte. I understand with a young squad we have room for improvement and I see no reason why they club wont invest heavily like they did last year. But if Arteta doesn't improve significantly he faces the risk of faltering hard in what will be a packed field next year, especially with Newcastle.

The club also needs to go nuclear with the Saka deal. If we table him an offer and he doesn't sign it, it will reopen old wounds and create negative energy again.

As for Arteta. I back his drive to do better and will to win. But his ability as a manager doesn't appear to match his ambition, that being said he is better than Wenger whose loser legacy still casts a dark shadow.


Pure and simple, pep's cone boy has NO excuse - he spent more money than any club in european football last summer, he got the club to write off money on players just to get them out of his squad, he had a freak season when all bar the top 2 clubs were utter dogshite, and he STILL fcuked it all up. Dont want to hear any crap about injuries or var/refereeing, cos the reality is that enough chips fell his way to make a top 4 spot ours for the taking, but him and the bottlejob players fcuked it up - he will no way get another season where ALL his top 4 rivals will be as dosghite again
To be fair. He inherited a pretty shit squad with average players on big money and good players on big money not putting the effort in. This will be Arteta's third season in charge but it feels like his first. This is year 1 into the cycle.

He fucked it this year and will get away with it and get another shot next year. But we cant give him another go if we are not in top 4 next year. im not for sacking managers like Chelsea but im not for unlimited chances too.

I also hope Arteta admits failure, if he comes out and says this year was a failure he would go up in my estimation. It would signal he isnt content. Unlike Wenger who tried to pass of finishing below Leicester as a success because we finished higher than we did the year before, as if losing a golden opportunity to win the title can be dressed up as success.
It feels like his first season in charge :lol:

The excuses are hitting new levels of desperation :banghead:

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 54758
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:48 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:06 am
augie wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:57 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 am
Is this going to turn into another Wenger saga. Where the manager has a perpetual project that doesn't really ever appear to be realized?

Next year Man United will be fresh under Ten Hag and Spurs will have a pre season with Conte. I understand with a young squad we have room for improvement and I see no reason why they club wont invest heavily like they did last year. But if Arteta doesn't improve significantly he faces the risk of faltering hard in what will be a packed field next year, especially with Newcastle.

The club also needs to go nuclear with the Saka deal. If we table him an offer and he doesn't sign it, it will reopen old wounds and create negative energy again.

As for Arteta. I back his drive to do better and will to win. But his ability as a manager doesn't appear to match his ambition, that being said he is better than Wenger whose loser legacy still casts a dark shadow.


Pure and simple, pep's cone boy has NO excuse - he spent more money than any club in european football last summer, he got the club to write off money on players just to get them out of his squad, he had a freak season when all bar the top 2 clubs were utter dogshite, and he STILL fcuked it all up. Dont want to hear any crap about injuries or var/refereeing, cos the reality is that enough chips fell his way to make a top 4 spot ours for the taking, but him and the bottlejob players fcuked it up - he will no way get another season where ALL his top 4 rivals will be as dosghite again
To be fair. He inherited a pretty shit squad with average players on big money and good players on big money not putting the effort in. This will be Arteta's third season in charge but it feels like his first. This is year 1 into the cycle.

He fucked it this year and will get away with it and get another shot next year. But we cant give him another go if we are not in top 4 next year. im not for sacking managers like Chelsea but im not for unlimited chances too.

I also hope Arteta admits failure, if he comes out and says this year was a failure he would go up in my estimation. It would signal he isnt content. Unlike Wenger who tried to pass of finishing below Leicester as a success because we finished higher than we did the year before, as if losing a golden opportunity to win the title can be dressed up as success.
It feels like his first season in charge :lol:

The excuses are hitting new levels of desperation :banghead:
Absolutely. What utter horseshit some of our fans are coming out with. Add this kind of thing to the frankly embarrassing shit of Clive being "so brave to come out and talk to the media and call it like it is". :oops: :oops:

Post Reply