ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:10 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:05 pm
Arsenal are ready to spend as much as £150m this summer to upgrade Mikel Arteta’s squad for a return to European football, but want to offset some of that outlay by selling seven surplus players & looking to scrape together £60m. [Mark Irwin, @SunSport] https://t.co/mkqSs8Pfx3

Arteta has told Edu he needs 22 outfield players to cope with the extra demands of #UEL, but currently have just 16 outfield players on their books. Arteta wants to make four top quality signings as he looks for two strikers, a central midfielder & another full-back. [@SunSport]

Gabriel Jesus & Tammy Abraham are Arteta’s main targets up front while Youri Tielemans & Ruben Neves head the list of midfielders. Stan Kroenke has accepted if they get their spending right this summer, the squad will be in great shape for the next five or six years. [Sun] #afc

I'd love to know in what universe £150m will get you 4 top quality signings - £150m wouldnt even get you two top quality players these days :lol: :lol:

I also love how the standard of education has dropped so low nowadays that nobody bats an eyelid when a report says that a manager has 16 outfield players and wants to bring that up to 22 and is intending making 4 signings - since when does 16 + 4 = 22 ??

Lastly the names of his top targets for those "top quality signings" are gabriel jesus ( :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: ), tammy abraham ( :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: ), ruben neves (not near top quality imo), and Tielemans (the one that I would want us to get and we wont)
Hmm depending on how you read it it is even worse maths, 16-7+4=13...... even further from the 22 :wink:

I know some are out on loan and one is probably Leno, but i'm assuming at least one of the outfield players is Laca so even assuming Augies original numbers 16-Laca=+4 still on makes 19...... journos really need to start proof reading their bollocks before they publish, the standards are becoming worse and worse.

If Arteta thinks he can go into a full PL, with 2 cups and the UEL with only 22 outfield players and a few academy lads to fill the bench he is deluded, especially when you take into account our injury record and our propensity for idiotic yellow and red cards, 3 goalkeeps plus 27 is the minimum availability you should be looking at even if you cant register them all for all competitions inc at most 2 or 3 academy players.

Arsenal FC brings you the squad on a shoestring, i suppose it is a divergence from Wenger having a squad packed with has beens and never will be's in later years :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:54 pm
My prediction is we will spend all summer chasing top targets. We will secure none of them. We will then buy a load of duds in late August once the season is 3 games in.
That has a familiar 'ring' to it Bobby!

A bit like Wenger's tried, tested and cheapskate method of "Ze Ole Trolley Dash". :cry: :banghead:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:06 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:49 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:14 pm
Besides getting rid of the Dead Wood like Xhaka, Cedric, Holding, Pepe, Nketiah and Laca we Need:

A Right and a Left Back to cover for the injury prone Tierney & Tomiyasu.

As for CB's Whether Sliba does return or if he stays with Marseille (Him and Gendouzi are big mates, so that will go against us), I am anything but convinced by White but it looks like we are stuck with him.

A Mid-field Enforcer to partner Partey AND a Back Up for injury prone Partey

A Right Winger to replace Pepe; who is off to Disney Land United to join is twin bro Dozy (Of the seven dwarves)

We also Must sign two Top Strikers.

A further challenge is also our ability to negotiate and actually sign players.

I think the young defender from Nottingham Forest Djed Spence or Brighton's Tariq Lamptey from(RB) & Mark Cucurella (LB) from Brighton, though to persuade and actually get them would be difficult.

Yves Bissouma (Mid-fielder) from Brighton and either Maddison or Tielemanns from Leicester or even perhaps Ward -Prowse of Southampton?

The chances of us signing 2 World Class strikers is slim, but I think Ivan Toney from Brentford though not World Class would make a decent 2nd striker and someone else willing to play in Europa League instead of CL.

Well a man can dream can't he? :? :goingtobed:
Like the look of these 2.....Spence and Bissouma....not sure anout Toney

Ward Prowse great free kick taker...but a bit limited and lightweight
I dunno RA he does have a good engine and even when things are going wrong for the team he still puts in a shift; something a number of our current snowflakes need to learn and start doing.
Very True!

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:03 pm
augie wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:10 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:05 pm
Arsenal are ready to spend as much as £150m this summer to upgrade Mikel Arteta’s squad for a return to European football, but want to offset some of that outlay by selling seven surplus players & looking to scrape together £60m. [Mark Irwin, @SunSport] https://t.co/mkqSs8Pfx3

Arteta has told Edu he needs 22 outfield players to cope with the extra demands of #UEL, but currently have just 16 outfield players on their books. Arteta wants to make four top quality signings as he looks for two strikers, a central midfielder & another full-back. [@SunSport]

Gabriel Jesus & Tammy Abraham are Arteta’s main targets up front while Youri Tielemans & Ruben Neves head the list of midfielders. Stan Kroenke has accepted if they get their spending right this summer, the squad will be in great shape for the next five or six years. [Sun] #afc

I'd love to know in what universe £150m will get you 4 top quality signings - £150m wouldnt even get you two top quality players these days :lol: :lol:

I also love how the standard of education has dropped so low nowadays that nobody bats an eyelid when a report says that a manager has 16 outfield players and wants to bring that up to 22 and is intending making 4 signings - since when does 16 + 4 = 22 ??

Lastly the names of his top targets for those "top quality signings" are gabriel jesus ( :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: ), tammy abraham ( :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: ), ruben neves (not near top quality imo), and Tielemans (the one that I would want us to get and we wont)
Hmm depending on how you read it it is even worse maths, 16-7+4=13...... even further from the 22 :wink:

I know some are out on loan and one is probably Leno, but i'm assuming at least one of the outfield players is Laca so even assuming Augies original numbers 16-Laca=+4 still on makes 19...... journos really need to start proof reading their bollocks before they publish, the standards are becoming worse and worse.

If Arteta thinks he can go into a full PL, with 2 cups and the UEL with only 22 outfield players and a few academy lads to fill the bench he is deluded, especially when you take into account our injury record and our propensity for idiotic yellow and red cards, 3 goalkeeps plus 27 is the minimum availability you should be looking at even if you cant register them all for all competitions inc at most 2 or 3 academy players.

Arsenal FC brings you the squad on a shoestring, i suppose it is a divergence from Wenger having a squad packed with has beens and never will be's in later years :barscarf:

We are talking about a manager who is incapable of dealing with players expressing their opinions when they differ from his ffs. If you cannot handle that aspect of management, it makes perfect sense to trim the fcuk out of the squad cos it saves you having to have conversations with players who are unhappy with their game time - all in all a small squad makes it easier for pep's cone boy and when the inevitable crisis kicks in later in the season, he can use the "hit hard with injuries" excuse when he is losing games to brighton or palace or fulham :roll:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

You do know your squad is 25 players you can register ,right ? So thats 22 players plus 3 goalkeepers , you can also have anyone under 21 available as well.

Also the atricle said he has 16 and wants 22 outfield players of which 4 added need to be top quality which means 2 will probably be young playes with potential. :wink:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Love your logic and optimism Gooner but we don't even have a first team of 11 top quality players so offloading 7 from the already bare bones squad Inc loanees immaterial of the quality of each individual will be an incredibly small pool to start with, add in the injury prone ones and you begin to need a much bigger squad than allowed by each competition, hence why in the past some players haven't been registered for Europe or the PL and vice versa.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Nacho Monreal will be a free agent this summer so that’s one position solved :wink:

Joking aside, there are several decent players who’s contracts are expiring. Whether or not they want to sign for us is another question!

Midz

Post by Midz »

So, if we signed Victor Osimhen and Gabriel Jesus in the summer window would you be happy?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

So, if we signed Victor Osimhen and Gabriel Jesus in the summer window would you be happy?
It would be a good start!
On top of that we need a Top CM who would start alongside Partey. We also need cover at both RB and LB. For me a good summer would be
Abahams and Richarlison up front would be better for me
Bissouma or someone similar as a midfield general, and Tielemans
Hickey in defence

That would be a decent summer. Total cost maybe around 200m!!

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

We won’t but I’d like us to sign Jonathan David of Lille.

He’s 22. Scored 18 goals this year in 46 games. The season before scored 13 in the French league.

If we were to get Gabriel Jesus then ideally he’d be an off-the-bench kind of striker.

Tielemans would be a very good signing for us.

augie

Post by augie »

Midz wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:12 pm

I certainly wouldnt - gabriel jesus is not the type of player we need and is more likely to take game time away from the good players we have (smith-rowe, saka and martinelli), whilst that victor guy has no experience playing in this league and is too much of a gamble for the type of money it would cost to get him imo

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

If it’s true that the geordies are offering 50 million quid for sick note Tierney then I’m gonna have to climb down off my anti Saudi sports washing horse post haste.

Bite their fucking hands off.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:29 pm
If it’s true that the geordies are offering 50 million quid for sick note Tierney then I’m gonna have to climb down off my anti Saudi sports washing horse post haste.

Bite their fucking hands off.

But I always thought they "chopped" hands off .... Ohhhhhhh! I Seeeee. :-P :D

NickF

Post by NickF »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:55 pm
We won’t but I’d like us to sign Jonathan David of Lille.

He’s 22. Scored 18 goals this year in 46 games. The season before scored 13 in the French league.

If we were to get Gabriel Jesus then ideally he’d be an off-the-bench kind of striker.

Tielemans would be a very good signing for us.
So David is comparable to pepe then.
We need someone who can get 20 league goals a season I don't see anyone we've been linked to, for big money getting remotely that.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:23 pm
Midz wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:12 pm

I certainly wouldnt - gabriel jesus is not the type of player we need and is more likely to take game time away from the good players we have (smith-rowe, saka and martinelli), whilst that victor guy has no experience playing in this league and is too much of a gamble for the type of money it would cost to get him imo
Which two would you like Augie with Prem experience?