ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by rodders999 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:43 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:29 pm
If it’s true that the geordies are offering 50 million quid for sick note Tierney then I’m gonna have to climb down off my anti Saudi sports washing horse post haste.

Bite their fucking hands off.

But I always thought they "chopped" hands off .... Ohhhhhhh! I Seeeee. :-P :D
Deliberately held off on the decapitation jokes until they transfer the 50 mill 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

It would be a terrible shame to see Tierney go. He is one of about oh maybe three players with a spine, the right attitude, genuine talent, and actual non-pointing related leadership ability.

But then all of those things are of zero benefit if the player in question is in the treatment room for half of each season.... :|

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:08 am
It would be a terrible shame to see Tierney go. He is one of about oh maybe three players with a spine, the right attitude, genuine talent, and actual non-pointing related leadership ability.

But then all of those things are of zero benefit if the player in question is in the treatment room for half of each season.... :|
Saw on twatter yesterday that he played in just 64% of Celtic's league games during his last four seasons there and has only played in 56% of the league games for us since joining.

This isn't a once off or a bit of bad luck, he misses large chunks of every season and if it's true that that sort of money is on the table we'd be insane not to grab it and invest it in someone who can play more than 10 games in a row without being ruled out for the season.

augie

Post by augie »

gooner265 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:31 pm
augie wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:23 pm
Midz wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:12 pm
So, if we signed Victor Osimhen and Gabriel Jesus in the summer window would you be happy?

I certainly wouldnt - gabriel jesus is not the type of player we need and is more likely to take game time away from the good players we have (smith-rowe, saka and martinelli), whilst that victor guy has no experience playing in this league and is too much of a gamble for the type of money it would cost to get him imo
Which two would you like Augie with Prem experience?

I want us to buy a top quality number 9, but if he isnt proven top quality level then he must have premier league experience for me - the guy at napoli ticks neither box yet imo. I dont envisage us spending the type of cash required to go top level and that is why I am now looking at the likes of calvert-lewin and raul jiminez - neither are at the level we should be buying at, but both are good players capable of playing the role we need our number 9 to play. If we signed a player like either of those two then I might be more inclined to take a risk signing a guy like jovic on loan (or permanently if price was reasonable) as well - player with potential and hopefully motivated after sitting on madrids bench for two years. My admiration of mousse dembele from Lyon has been mentioned on here a few times too.
The options (within our budget at least) are not bountiful to say the least, but as I said above , I dont need the signings to have premier league experience if they are top quality. What worries me shitless is overspending on some average muck - we need two strikers at least imo and I dont think we have the budget to do that, so what scares me is that pep's cone boy and edu will try to bring in two £50m-60m strikers like jesus of which neither are value for money. To me it would make more sense spending £80m on a quality proven striker and maybe £30m-40m on a second choice decent back up and have that clear pecking order - I suspect though that dumb and dumber will as I said try and sign two jesus level strikers and then try to pass it off as great business signing two top level players :roll:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

RVP was a sick note.....until he wasn't. The minute we sell Tierney he will play week to week.

Further, if we start selling first team players to Newcastle it will send a bad signal. When Man City came into new money we sold them that flux of players even though we were ahead of them at the time. The first steps City took to the top were on our backs. They were elated singing Adebayor. & almost shit themselves when they signed Nasri. Selling Tierney should be a non starter

To those suggesting selling Tierney and Gabriel and then going out and buying 'someone better'. The problem is though we would be relying on a club selling us their top players after we just sold ours.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Don't agree on Van Judas suddenly shaking off his injury record once he moved on.

He had one unbelievable season for us (his last) but spent the rest of his time here crocked most seasons. When he went to united he pretty much single handedly won them the league :banghead: in his first season where he played every league game but the next season he missed 17 league games and the season after 11.

He had 2 outstanding seasons - one for us and one from them - but to suggest he suddenly became this non injury player after leaving us is wrong, it's just a travesty he had that one injury free season with them before reverting to type.

To suggest that Kieran Tierney is suddenly going to be available for all 38 league games either for us or some other club is fanciful as his injury record in all of his last SEVEN seasons has proved.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I just couldn't Resist Rodders! :lol:

If we don't sell Tierney and he wants to remain a first team choice and regular, then maybe a codicil needs to be place din his contract that states he cannot play for Scotland unless he has missed no games whatsoever the preceding 12months for Arsenal through injury.

If not fuck him off. I love the guy he has the Right Attitude and all of our players without exception could learn from him, but if he is 'damaged goods', sadly we have to move him on. :?

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:24 am
gooner265 wrote:
augie wrote:
Midz wrote:
So, if we signed Victor Osimhen and Gabriel Jesus in the summer window would you be happy?

I certainly wouldnt - gabriel jesus is not the type of player we need and is more likely to take game time away from the good players we have (smith-rowe, saka and martinelli), whilst that victor guy has no experience playing in this league and is too much of a gamble for the type of money it would cost to get him imo

I want us to buy a top quality number 9, but if he isnt proven top quality level then he must have premier league experience for me - the guy at napoli ticks neither box yet imo. I dont envisage us spending the type of cash required to go top level and that is why I am now looking at the likes of calvert-lewin and raul jiminez - neither are at the level we should be buying at, but both are good players capable of playing the role we need our number 9 to play. If we signed a player like either of those two then I might be more inclined to take a risk signing a guy like jovic on loan (or permanently if price was reasonable) as well - player with potential and hopefully motivated after sitting on madrids bench for two years. My admiration of mousse dembele from Lyon has been mentioned on here a few times too.
The options (within our budget at least) are not bountiful to say the least, but as I said above , I dont need the signings to have premier league experience if they are top quality. What worries me shitless is overspending on some average muck - we need two strikers at least imo and I dont think we have the budget to do that, so what scares me is that pep's cone boy and edu will try to bring in two £50m-60m strikers like jesus of which neither are value for money. To me it would make more sense spending £80m on a quality proven striker and maybe £30m-40m on a second choice decent back up and have that clear pecking order - I suspect though that dumb and dumber will as I said try and sign two jesus level strikers and then try to pass it off as great business signing two top level players :roll:
I wouldn't rule out a top signing as we put the mo ney down for Vlahovic however I haven't a clue who that could be and know nothing about the African .
DCL doesnt convince me and Tammy wont be leaving, would prefer Toney out the three, Chelsea have first refusal anyway so I agree it will be two mid quality strikers, its well known he wants one who can play wide as well.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

🚨 || Arsenal have signed Marquinhos from São Paulo, for £3m, which will be payable in December [Via - @_Alexsander].

🚨 || São Paulo Manager, Rogério Ceni, is extremely angry with Marquinhos being sold for such a low fee. He will no longer select players with short contracts (or contracts close to expiry) to avoid similar situations [Via - @BolaVipCom].

augie

Post by augie »

gooner265 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:34 am
augie wrote:
gooner265 wrote:
augie wrote:
Midz wrote:

I wouldn't rule out a top signing as we put the mo ney down for Vlahovic however I haven't a clue who that could be and know nothing about the African .
DCL doesnt convince me and Tammy wont be leaving, would prefer Toney out the three, Chelsea have first refusal anyway so I agree it will be two mid quality strikers, its well known he wants one who can play wide as well.

I made the argument in January and I make the same argument today ....... vlahovic IS NOT a top quality striker. Since he joined juve he has scored just SEVEN serie A league goals from play - those goals came against hellos verona, empoli, salernitina, cagliari, bologna and lazio so it isnt as if this guy has proved he can do it in big games when needed. People assume nowadays that a big transfer fee and big hype makes a player top quality, but to date this guy has not shown himself to be near top quality and imo we dodged an expensive bullit there

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal board are set to hand Mikel Arteta a £180m (€200m) war chest to spend in this summer transfer window. #afc [@TheSunFootball & @MailOnline] https://t.co/yjav6ju50G

Now Ye non believers :wink: :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:40 am
Arsenal board are set to hand Mikel Arteta a £180m (€200m) war chest to spend in this summer transfer window. #afc [@TheSunFootball & @MailOnline] https://t.co/yjav6ju50G

Now Ye non believers :wink: :lol:
Clearly a gross figure. Once we have shipped out some dross and their wages it will be a net £100m tops.

shu

Post by shu »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:29 am
I just couldn't Resist Rodders! :lol:

If we don't sell Tierney and he wants to remain a first team choice and regular, then maybe a codicil needs to be place din his contract that states he cannot play for Scotland unless he has missed no games whatsoever the preceding 12months for Arsenal through injury.

If not fuck him off. I love the guy he has the Right Attitude and all of our players without exception could learn from him, but if he is 'damaged goods', sadly we have to move him on. :?
Yes unfortunately he does need to go , hasnt he been injured for half of his games since we signed him and playing Taveras is a total disaster. A real shame but 50 mill would be a steal. Taveras is up there with Steponovs and Andre Santos !!!!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

EXC: Arsenal have made Eddie Nketiah their final contract offer amid growing belief he is ready to stay at the Emirates. https://t.co/fSJr6k0MJg

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:30 am
gooner265 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:34 am
augie wrote:
gooner265 wrote:
augie wrote:

I made the argument in January and I make the same argument today ....... vlahovic IS NOT a top quality striker. Since he joined juve he has scored just SEVEN serie A league goals from play - those goals came against hellos verona, empoli, salernitina, cagliari, bologna and lazio so it isnt as if this guy has proved he can do it in big games when needed. People assume nowadays that a big transfer fee and big hype makes a player top quality, but to date this guy has not shown himself to be near top quality and imo we dodged an expensive bullit there
Whether hes top class or not is irrelevant and subjective , the point is we put the money down .
Definition of top class is also subjective which may mean just Salah , Haaland and Mbappe.
We have to be realistic here especially not being in champs league , who thought salah was top class when Chelsea sold him.