May 26, 1989 - Greatest Moment Ever.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: May 26, 1989 - Greatest Moment Ever.

Post by SteveO 35 »

You look at the team that day and could identify with all of them - some of them not the most technically gifted professionals you've ever seen, but you knew you would get 100% out of them, and they'd roll their sleeves up for a fight. The last minute nature of it sometimes takes away from the fact that a 2 goal win at Anfield hadn't been achieved by any away side in years. Compare to that our fucking limpdicks now, who roll up at the Etihad and Anfield and are beaten before a ball is kicked

There isn't one player in that team you'd accuse of being lazy, or gutless, or the type of player to go missing when the going got tough. GG knew that kids alone wouldn't do it though which was why you'd see O'Leary, Richardson and Marwood still playing regularly in that side. When we signed Marwood I remember people thinking he was some journeyman pro, but what a difference he made to that young team. Ditto Richardson

Leadership - remember that?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:55 pm
You look at the team that day and could identify with all of them - some of them not the most technically gifted professionals you've ever seen, but you knew you would get 100% out of them, and they'd roll their sleeves up for a fight. The last minute nature of it sometimes takes away from the fact that a 2 goal win at Anfield hadn't been achieved by any away side in years. Compare to that our fucking limpdicks now, who roll up at the Etihad and Anfield and are beaten before a ball is kicked

There isn't one player in that team you'd accuse of being lazy, or gutless, or the type of player to go missing when the going got tough. GG knew that kids alone wouldn't do it though which was why you'd see O'Leary, Richardson and Marwood still playing regularly in that side. When we signed Marwood I remember people thinking he was some journeyman pro, but what a difference he made to that young team. Ditto Richardson

^^this^^ 8) 8)

100% on the money SteveO. Couldn't have put it better myself. 8)

**well obviously I could but I don't want to steal your thunder old chap! :lol: :wink: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:09 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:55 pm

^^this^^ 8) 8)

100% on the money SteveO. Couldn't have put it better myself. 8)

**well obviously I could but I don't want to steal your thunder old chap! :lol: :wink: :wink:

:rubchin:

:wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

For anyone who lives in or near Islington Tony Adam's Special Friday 3rd June 2022:

https://unionchapel.org.uk/whats-on/ton ... ok-tickets