Paul Davis

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner265

Paul Davis

Post by gooner265 »

You may know but Paul Davis has a book coming out , one of my favourite players of that era. Should be an interesting read , Glen Cockrell and GG dropping him for a year etc.

https://twitter.com/pauldavis_8/status/ ... CrT-A&s=19
Last edited by gooner265 on Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Perryashburtongroves

Re: Paul Davis

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

One of the most under-rated players of that era of English football. Great player and absolutely lovely bloke. In the summer of 1989, my dad and I went to watch a charity match at a local club and he was there too. I remember my dad sitting there chatting to him for ages about football and life and it was just like two blokes sitting in a pub and you'd have never guessed in a million years that one of them had just won the league title a few weeks earlier.
I'll look forward to reading this over the summer.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Brilliant news. :barscarf:

Loved him as a player. As Perry said one of the most underrated English players not only of his generation but of any generation. He was hard as nails but also had amazing technique in a time when it was open season on flair players. But no cùnt ever walked away having got one up on him.

He was a fantastic player for us and I hope he makes a fortune from his book. Personally cannot wait to read it.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

gooner265 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:20 pm
You may know but Paul Davis has a book coming out , one of my favourite players of that era. Should be an interesting read , Glen Cockrell and GG dropping him for a year etc.

Wasn’t aware, so thanks for posting this, will be an interesting read, particularly if he sheds light on the Cockerill punch 🥊 and if it was for a previous incident or a racist comment as was rumoured at the time.

A very cultured player, who could tackle too - would love him in todays team.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:05 pm
gooner265 wrote:

Wasn’t aware, so thanks for posting this, will be an interesting read, particularly if he sheds light on the Cockerill punch 🥊 and if it was for a previous incident or a racist comment as was rumoured at the time.

A very cultured player, who could tackle too - would love him in todays team.
I'm sure I read somewhere a few years back where Davis said it wasn't racism related. But not sure tbh.

John F

Post by John F »

gooner265 wrote:

He had a strong character as I remember he got a bit of stick from the crowd in his early days but he did not do the Clive two-finger salute, he just kept working at it and managed to win them over. Great player and one of my Favourites too.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Will be all over this! :D :barscarf:

Paul Davis, an absolute Rolls-Royce of a player, took no shit but was calmness personified. Could argue he was a continental style player before it was a thing, and got scandalously overlooked compared to some of the 100 miles an hour headless chickens that were around back then!

Would walk into this current team even if he was missing a leg!

And also cool as fuck!

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Book signing at The Tollington tomorrow if anyones interested.