ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
TeeCee

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by TeeCee »

We're not selling any of our young players..... They are all 'homegrown' which allows us to buy more foreigners. If we do sign another 3 or 4 players we could actually have a decent squad! But I still think we need another striker as well as Jesus!!!

Midz

Post by Midz »

TeeCee wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:41 am
We're not selling any of our young players..... They are all 'homegrown' which allows us to buy more foreigners. If we do sign another 3 or 4 players we could actually have a decent squad! [*]But I still think we need another striker as well as Jesus!!!
Exactly. Spot on.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

If we go into the new season with Jesus and Nketiah as our only two strikers I can guarantee it will be an absolute clusterfuck

No out ball, no aerial presence, no plan B, no physicality

Look at the top four and their attacking options - none of them just stick to one or two players of the same type

We might as well ban wingers and wing backs from crossing the ball in the air because neither of that pair will win a single header

If its Nketiah, Jesus and a 'Calvert Lewin type' I could live with that, but just the former two.....not a prayer. There will be away games like the ones of last season where the ball is camped in our half for 30 minutes without any option of holding it up

Midz

Post by Midz »

Are you bored of all the Gabriel Jesus signing links?

I am. FFS if we really must sign the fucker just do it and let's all move on.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

TeeCee wrote:
We're not selling any of our young players..... They are all 'homegrown' which allows us to buy more foreigners. If we do sign another 3 or 4 players we could actually have a decent squad! But I still think we need another striker as well as Jesus!!!

Well, we might not get a choice. If decent sides come in for them and they refuse to sign a contract with us, then we'll have to let them go. Mind you, Captain Black does seem to operate from the Wenger play book, so maybe he'll keep them until their contracts expire and let them walk for
nothing. :roll:

I'm sure that Saka will be a constant first eleven pick, but ESR and Martinelli have hardly had a guaranteed starting place so far and with the addition of Vieira and possibly Raphina, then their opportunities will be even further restricted. Even if we don't get Raphina, the fact that we're chasing him doesn't bode well for Martinelli. We're hardly looking at Raphina as a squad player.

So, ESR and Martinelli will probably end up with less playing time and will have their heads turned, especially if a big side come in for them. We'll also end up losing Saka, because he's not going to tolerate bobbing around somewhere between 5th and 8th, when he could move on to the big time elsewhere.

I'll be surprised if any of them are still here in two years' time.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Midz wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:06 pm
Are you bored of all the Gabriel Jesus signing links?

I am. FFS if we really must sign the fucker just do it and let's all move on.

Tbh, worried more than bored.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:56 pm
If we go into the new season with Jesus and Nketiah as our only two strikers I can guarantee it will be an absolute clusterfuck

Look at the top four and their attacking options - none of them just stick to one or two players of the same type

We might as well ban wingers and wing backs from crossing the ball in the air because neither of that pair will win a single header

If its Nketiah, Jesus and a 'Calvert Lewin type' I could live with that, but just the former two.....not a prayer. There will be away games like the ones of last season where the ball is camped in our half for 30 minutes without any option of holding it up

He's the one I'd prefer out of those three. I'd be happy to sign that bloke and see how he'd perform in a better side than Everton (yeah, I know, I know :lol: ).

Anyway, always thought the guy looks useful.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:52 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:56 pm

He's the one I'd prefer out of those three. I'd be happy to sign that bloke and see how he'd perform in a better side than Everton (yeah, I know, I know :lol: ).

Anyway, always thought the guy looks useful.
An absolute state more like! :shock: :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨 Arsenal have reached an agreement with Manchester City to sign striker Gabriel Jesus for £45m. Still some bits to sort but #AFC on course to secure 25yo, who also had interest from Chelsea & Tottenham. Arteta’s top target @TheAthleticUK #MCFC #CFC #THFC

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

After reaching an agreement to sign Gabriel Jesus, Arsenal are also expected to go back in with an improved bid for Leeds United forward Raphinha. [Sky] #afc

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:47 pm
TeeCee wrote:

Well, we might not get a choice. If decent sides come in for them and they refuse to sign a contract with us, then we'll have to let them go. Mind you, Captain Black does seem to operate from the Wenger play book, so maybe he'll keep them until their contracts expire and let them walk for
nothing. :roll:

I'm sure that Saka will be a constant first eleven pick, but ESR and Martinelli have hardly had a guaranteed starting place so far and with the addition of Vieira and possibly Raphina, then their opportunities will be even further restricted. Even if we don't get Raphina, the fact that we're chasing him doesn't bode well for Martinelli. We're hardly looking at Raphina as a squad player.

So, ESR and Martinelli will probably end up with less playing time and will have their heads turned, especially if a big side come in for them. We'll also end up losing Saka, because he's not going to tolerate bobbing around somewhere between 5th and 8th, when he could move on to the big time elsewhere.

I'll be surprised if any of them are still here in two years' time.
So basically your arguing we sign less players because some players might not get much playing time with added competition and depth?

Whats the Wenger quote, 'if I sign a midfielder, what do I tell Denilson"

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

There will be rotation, & with the 5 subs rule Arteta will ask the forward players to run themselves into the round before being subbed.

We cant keep overloading our young players and putting the burden on them. Saka for one played that many games, he was ineffective is some due to sheer fatigue. ESR, Martinelli, Saka, Odegaard - thats 4 players covering 6 positions, & whenever Pepe had to come in the drop in quality was huge. If we get Raphina, then Saka, Raphina, ESR, Martinelli, Odegaard, Vieria is a genuine two quality players for every position. Jesus and Nketiah upfront both of which also work hard. City fans marvel as Jesus work rate. Perhaps a change of scenery can elevate his goa scoring exploits, and Nketiah new attacking could be a confidence booster. Dont assume their goal scoring records cant go up a level.

In the forwards we actually might get two players for every position, this are the positions that will get subbed often, and have to run the most. So its nautual we are adding numbers here.

I still hole hope we get Teilimans and Lisandro. Get Saka to sign a new deal too.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:22 pm
Not sure where this worry of Saka or Martinelli being sold is connected to the players we're linked to.

We've been crying out for cover for Saka as you could tell he had dropped off in the last couple of months, and now with the extra European games, it was blindingly obvious we need cover with Pepe being utterly useless (and will hopefully be the one sacrificed for Raphina). He's also our most marketable player and the "face" of the current team/squad so even the crunts in charge must know it'd be criminal to cash in (yet). They'll be looking to extend his contract, and then it'll take silly money to buy him.

Martinelli has just been given the number 11 shirt, and will be looking to push on to be included for the Brazil WC squad and a move wouldn't help that at all. Liverpool aren't big salary payers either..

Vieira should imagine should be another one that will need time to be integrated into the team (which will take time), and again takes some of the creativity burden off Odegaard who dropped off too at the end of the season.

ESR is the only one we should be concerned about. He needs to work on his fitness as it's been shown as a concern in some games he looks absolutely fucked. Maybe that will be his downfall at the club, but hopefully it'll be something he works on in pre-season..
Yeah, absolutely ridiculous comments, and why I don't bother with the forum much anymore. Well not to talk about football anyway.

All these signings are meant to strengthen the squad, you know the one that couldn't cope with the 2nd half of last season because Saka/ESR et all were crocks/knackered.

Jesus isn't a marquee signing he's come in to do a dirty job and create chances for other players. The sort he's done for City and the sort Firmino has done for Pool. Raphina would be Pepe's replacement, we've made a silly bid for him money wise but that's what we were complaining about right a few years back, ie Stanley is a tight fucker? If he's prepared to spend maybe punt a few hundred million of his loot no one should complain.

Martinez would be LB cover and he can also play CB (perhaps too small for the PL) but also can play CDM, we desperately need someone to help Partey out with the workload so we don't get overrun in away games especially. Newcastle springs to mind from last season. But for me we should be going all out to get Zinchenko who was fantastic for Ukraine vs Scotland/Wales. He also covers multiple positions and won't cost more than £30m.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:shock: :shock: :shock: What the absolute fuck!!!!???

NickF98

Post by NickF98 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:54 pm
🚨 Arsenal have reached an agreement with Manchester City to sign striker Gabriel Jesus for £45m. Still some bits to sort but #AFC on course to secure 25yo, who also had interest from Chelsea & Tottenham. Arteta’s top target @TheAthleticUK #MCFC #CFC #THFC
And yet Barca are trying to get Lewandowski for 35m....