ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:24 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: What the absolute fuck!!!!???
Didn’t he used to be in the cartoon the hair bear bunch ?

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl= ... egUIARDtAQ

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:08 am
Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:22 pm
Not sure where this worry of Saka or Martinelli being sold is connected to the players we're linked to.

We've been crying out for cover for Saka as you could tell he had dropped off in the last couple of months, and now with the extra European games, it was blindingly obvious we need cover with Pepe being utterly useless (and will hopefully be the one sacrificed for Raphina). He's also our most marketable player and the "face" of the current team/squad so even the crunts in charge must know it'd be criminal to cash in (yet). They'll be looking to extend his contract, and then it'll take silly money to buy him.

Martinelli has just been given the number 11 shirt, and will be looking to push on to be included for the Brazil WC squad and a move wouldn't help that at all. Liverpool aren't big salary payers either..

Vieira should imagine should be another one that will need time to be integrated into the team (which will take time), and again takes some of the creativity burden off Odegaard who dropped off too at the end of the season.

ESR is the only one we should be concerned about. He needs to work on his fitness as it's been shown as a concern in some games he looks absolutely fucked. Maybe that will be his downfall at the club, but hopefully it'll be something he works on in pre-season..
Yeah, absolutely ridiculous comments, and why I don't bother with the forum much anymore. Well not to talk about football anyway.

All these signings are meant to strengthen the squad, you know the one that couldn't cope with the 2nd half of last season because Saka/ESR et all were crocks/knackered.

Jesus isn't a marquee signing he's come in to do a dirty job and create chances for other players. The sort he's done for City and the sort Firmino has done for Pool. Raphina would be Pepe's replacement, we've made a silly bid for him money wise but that's what we were complaining about right a few years back, ie Stanley is a tight fucker? If he's prepared to spend maybe punt a few hundred million of his loot no one should complain.

Martinez would be LB cover and he can also play CB (perhaps too small for the PL) but also can play CDM, we desperately need someone to help Partey out with the workload so we don't get overrun in away games especially. Newcastle springs to mind from last season. But for me we should be going all out to get Zinchenko who was fantastic for Ukraine vs Scotland/Wales. He also covers multiple positions and won't cost more than £30m.
Two excellent posts , finally some sense.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

gooner265 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:58 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:08 am
Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:22 pm
Not sure where this worry of Saka or Martinelli being sold is connected to the players we're linked to.

We've been crying out for cover for Saka as you could tell he had dropped off in the last couple of months, and now with the extra European games, it was blindingly obvious we need cover with Pepe being utterly useless (and will hopefully be the one sacrificed for Raphina). He's also our most marketable player and the "face" of the current team/squad so even the crunts in charge must know it'd be criminal to cash in (yet). They'll be looking to extend his contract, and then it'll take silly money to buy him.

Martinelli has just been given the number 11 shirt, and will be looking to push on to be included for the Brazil WC squad and a move wouldn't help that at all. Liverpool aren't big salary payers either..

Vieira should imagine should be another one that will need time to be integrated into the team (which will take time), and again takes some of the creativity burden off Odegaard who dropped off too at the end of the season.

ESR is the only one we should be concerned about. He needs to work on his fitness as it's been shown as a concern in some games he looks absolutely fucked. Maybe that will be his downfall at the club, but hopefully it'll be something he works on in pre-season..
Yeah, absolutely ridiculous comments, and why I don't bother with the forum much anymore. Well not to talk about football anyway.

All these signings are meant to strengthen the squad, you know the one that couldn't cope with the 2nd half of last season because Saka/ESR et all were crocks/knackered.

Jesus isn't a marquee signing he's come in to do a dirty job and create chances for other players. The sort he's done for City and the sort Firmino has done for Pool. Raphina would be Pepe's replacement, we've made a silly bid for him money wise but that's what we were complaining about right a few years back, ie Stanley is a tight fucker? If he's prepared to spend maybe punt a few hundred million of his loot no one should complain.

Martinez would be LB cover and he can also play CB (perhaps too small for the PL) but also can play CDM, we desperately need someone to help Partey out with the workload so we don't get overrun in away games especially. Newcastle springs to mind from last season. But for me we should be going all out to get Zinchenko who was fantastic for Ukraine vs Scotland/Wales. He also covers multiple positions and won't cost more than £30m.
Two excellent posts , finally some sense.

To be fair, you’ve only been waiting 5 years :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

NEW: Arsenal are in advanced talks with Leeds United for Raphinha - they ready to return with an IMPROVED OFFER with talks over a deal said to be at an advanced stage. [EXCLUSIVE: @JackRosser_]

Raphinha is now of priority to Arsenal, who are expected to return with an improved offer once they have tied up the remaining formalities with Gabriel Jesus & his representatives after Manchester City gave them permission to discuss terms with the player. [@RyanTaylorSport] #afc

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

When we buy Jesus, City go and buy Phillips. Then Raphinha’s price goes up.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:23 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:47 pm
TeeCee wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:41 am
We're not selling any of our young players..... They are all 'homegrown' which allows us to buy more foreigners. If we do sign another 3 or 4 players we could actually have a decent squad! But I still think we need another striker as well as Jesus!!!

Well, we might not get a choice. If decent sides come in for them and they refuse to sign a contract with us, then we'll have to let them go. Mind you, Captain Black does seem to operate from the Wenger play book, so maybe he'll keep them until their contracts expire and let them walk for
nothing. :roll:

I'm sure that Saka will be a constant first eleven pick, but ESR and Martinelli have hardly had a guaranteed starting place so far and with the addition of Vieira and possibly Raphina, then their opportunities will be even further restricted. Even if we don't get Raphina, the fact that we're chasing him doesn't bode well for Martinelli. We're hardly looking at Raphina as a squad player.

So, ESR and Martinelli will probably end up with less playing time and will have their heads turned, especially if a big side come in for them. We'll also end up losing Saka, because he's not going to tolerate bobbing around somewhere between 5th and 8th, when he could move on to the big time elsewhere.

I'll be surprised if any of them are still here in two years' time.
So basically your arguing we sign less players because some players might not get much playing time with added competition and depth?

Whats the Wenger quote, 'if I sign a midfielder, what do I tell Denilson"
Nope, I'm saying that we should be prioritising the areas where we're chronically weak...eg strikers, centre midfield, back line and imo, goalkeeper. We don't need wingers or number 10s as a priority.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:33 am
There will be rotation, & with the 5 subs rule Arteta will ask the forward players to run themselves into the round before being subbed.

We cant keep overloading our young players and putting the burden on them. Saka for one played that many games, he was ineffective is some due to sheer fatigue. ESR, Martinelli, Saka, Odegaard - thats 4 players covering 6 positions, & whenever Pepe had to come in the drop in quality was huge. If we get Raphina, then Saka, Raphina, ESR, Martinelli, Odegaard, Vieria is a genuine two quality players for every position. Jesus and Nketiah upfront both of which also work hard. City fans marvel as Jesus work rate. Perhaps a change of scenery can elevate his goa scoring exploits, and Nketiah new attacking could be a confidence booster. Dont assume their goal scoring records cant go up a level.

In the forwards we actually might get two players for every position, this are the positions that will get subbed often, and have to run the most. So its nautual we are adding numbers here.

I still hole hope we get Teilimans and Lisandro. Get Saka to sign a new deal too.

If we get Raphina, then Martinelli will get far fewer starts, as will ESR with Odegaard and, no doubt, Vieira in front of him. ESR and Martineli are players I want to see more of, not less.

Midz

Post by Midz »

I'm quite excited as we're trying to sign the entire Brazilian team. I just hope they can perform like their team did with Pele & Jairzinho.

phpBB [video]

Don't know why the video doesn't show but here's the link anyway :rubchin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCwYo9nL_Dk

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Ok, to save answering Natural Born Gooner, Nut Flush, Wilson and 265 independently, it's easier to make one post.

Obviously, I'm all for strengthening the squad, but not in areas where we have far less need than others and especially if the result is to see less of the best youngsters we've had for years. Do you guys honestly think that Raphina will be a replacement for Pepe and therefore sitting on the bench waiting for the odd 10 minutes here and there? He'll be playing ahead of Martinelli, who will be the one keeping the bench warm. Likewise ESR, who will be behind Odegaard and I assume Vieira. Both ESR and Martinelli have been hampered by a lack of playing time, because it's clear that Captain Black isn't convinced by either of them. Martinelli ought to have been a fixture since Emery's days and with ESR creating from midfield and also our top scorer halfway through the season (a total indictment of the quality of our strikers), Arteta drops him in favour of Odegaard.

On top of that, there are areas that need proper improvement, most of all centre mid and up front. Personally, I've never been particularly impressed by Jesus and am not at all excited by the likelihood of his arrival. Wilson says that a change of clubs might see him improve in front of goal. Well, if he isn't getting enough opportunities to score at City, then does anyone seriously expect him to get an higher number of chances in our side?! It's hard to think of a less creative centre midfield in the Premiership and he certainly doesn't strike me as the type of striker that can create chances out of nothing.

As for centre mid, does anyone doubt that Xhaka will still be the first name on the team sheet and that his partner will be either of the bang average Partey, or Elneny? This is the area of the pitch where we've been horribly weak for years and it has cost us very dearly.

Anyway, I stand by my prediction that at least two, if not all three of Saka, Martinelli and ESR will be gone in two years' time and we'll be watching them winning stuff elsewhere, while our lot are still scrapping for a Europa League spot. Feel free to remind me if I'm wrong and I'll do likewise if I'm right.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:53 pm
Ok, to save answering Natural Born Gooner, Nut Flush, Wilson and 265 independently, it's easier to make one post.

Obviously, I'm all for strengthening the squad, but not in areas where we have far less need than others and especially if the result is to see less of the best youngsters we've had for years. Do you guys honestly think that Raphina will be a replacement for Pepe and therefore sitting on the bench waiting for the odd 10 minutes here and there? He'll be playing ahead of Martinelli, who will be the one keeping the bench warm. Likewise ESR, who will be behind Odegaard and I assume Vieira. Both ESR and Martinelli have been hampered by a lack of playing time, because it's clear that Captain Black isn't convinced by either of them. Martinelli ought to have been a fixture since Emery's days and with ESR creating from midfield and also our top scorer halfway through the season (a total indictment of the quality of our strikers), Arteta drops him in favour of Odegaard.

On top of that, there are areas that need proper improvement, most of all centre mid and up front. Personally, I've never been particularly impressed by Jesus and am not at all excited by the likelihood of his arrival. Wilson says that a change of clubs might see him improve in front of goal. Well, if he isn't getting enough opportunities to score at City, then does anyone seriously expect him to get an higher number of chances in our side?! It's hard to think of a less creative centre midfield in the Premiership and he certainly doesn't strike me as the type of striker that can create chances out of nothing.

As for centre mid, does anyone doubt that Xhaka will still be the first name on the team sheet and that his partner will be either of the bang average Partey, or Elneny? This is the area of the pitch where we've been horribly weak for years and it has cost us very dearly.

Anyway, I stand by my prediction that at least two, if not all three of Saka, Martinelli and ESR will be gone in two years' time and we'll be watching them winning stuff elsewhere, while our lot are still scrapping for a Europa League spot. Feel free to remind me if I'm wrong and I'll do likewise if I'm right.
Gabi has played 29 games this year , i dont get where you say he has been hampered by playing time. Im with you that I want these players to develop but if we dont create a squad they will go the other way and burn out.
There is no chance we we will get another keeper, he had a great first half of the season but is very young for a keeper pkus the yank will push him who is highly rated. As for back line if we get the guy from Ajax and Saliba will be back thats a solid bunch of defenders imo.

Esr has been hampered by injury this year as well

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

ESR and Martinelli are players I want to see more of, not less
To be fair, they both need to raise their game as last season, neither did anywhere near enough, Gabi was good in a few games but the final product was missing most of the time and ESR had a good half a season but was poor second half and often injured. Added competition will hopefully help them to raise their games, we can't carry players.

I really hope we sign Martinez, but I think we'll wait to try and get rid of Xhaka first.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Truth be told if it hadn't been for (in no specific order) Saka, ESR and Martinelli - We would have finished around 8th or even 9th rather than the heady heights of 5th.

They are all still young and you could see they were Physically and Mentally Exhausted before the last few games, so I can only give them praise for how they kept going, especially when considering they also had to "Carry" the likes of Xhaka and sometimes other team mates, which must be akin to the task of Sisyphus.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

task of Sisyphus
I had that once after a trip to Dublin but a good dose of anti-biotics cleared it up!! :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Sometimes it can be hard to have mature debate when people view the transfer business as though they are playing a playstation game - for clarity purposes, can I say that buying bad is far worse than not buying imo, and to see a comment suggesting that we should be happy to be overspending on players now is juvenile in the extreme :roll: :oops:

I read comments about the need to build up the squad and to rotate the young front players to keep them fresh, but good management is about building a strong team first and THEN build a strong squad around it. Maybe it is a novel idea to some, but what say we build a strong team around smith-rowe, saka and martinelli, and maybe then they wouldnt be under as much pressure to win the games for us on their own ? :rubchin: Maybe if they had a top quality midfield behind them, they would get better service for starters, but also maybe the team wouldnt be as vulnerable and would be able to carry the front line when they have a bad day ? Being able to rest saka might help slightly some days, but it wont compensate the absolute clusterfuck with xhaka, cedric and tavares in the team :roll:

I am still a huge tierney fan and cannot go along with the insane suggestion that he should be sold cos of his injuries, but I am not oblivious to the fact that there is huge concerns around that left back spot right now, and I support the idea of buying another left full (Hickey would be my preference over martinez) with the plan that another injury riddled season for Tierney would be the end of his time at the club. For me, that (and the centre midfield position) should be the absolute priorities by a distance this summer - bringing in vieira and possibly raphina (both to replace squad player pepe apparently :roll: ) at a cost of over £100m is fantasy football management where you prioritise goals and assists over things like team balance, and it stinks of a partnership (arteta and edu) who are interested more in headlines and star signings than building a strong team

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

🚨 || Saliba extension talks going positively with Frenchman set to return for pre-season training shortly. Saliba WILL be at Arsenal for the 2022-23 season, as confirmed by Arteta & people close to the player [Via - @ChrisWheatley_].