ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:20 pm
task of Sisyphus
I had that once after a trip to Dublin but a good dose of anti-biotics cleared it up!! :barscarf:
Probably should have avoided the gay bars mate. :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:28 pm
Sometimes it can be hard to have mature debate when people view the transfer business as though they are playing a playstation game - for clarity purposes, can I say that buying bad is far worse than not buying imo, and to see a comment suggesting that we should be happy to be overspending on players now is juvenile in the extreme :roll: :oops:

I read comments about the need to build up the squad and to rotate the young front players to keep them fresh, but good management is about building a strong team first and THEN build a strong squad around it. Maybe it is a novel idea to some, but what say we build a strong team around smith-rowe, saka and martinelli, and maybe then they wouldnt be under as much pressure to win the games for us on their own ? :rubchin: Maybe if they had a top quality midfield behind them, they would get better service for starters, but also maybe the team wouldnt be as vulnerable and would be able to carry the front line when they have a bad day ? Being able to rest saka might help slightly some days, but it wont compensate the absolute clusterfuck with xhaka, cedric and tavares in the team :roll:

I am still a huge tierney fan and cannot go along with the insane suggestion that he should be sold cos of his injuries, but I am not oblivious to the fact that there is huge concerns around that left back spot right now, and I support the idea of buying another left full (Hickey would be my preference over martinez) with the plan that another injury riddled season for Tierney would be the end of his time at the club. For me, that (and the centre midfield position) should be the absolute priorities by a distance this summer - bringing in vieira and possibly raphina (both to replace squad player pepe apparently :roll: ) at a cost of over £100m is fantasy football management where you prioritise goals and assists over things like team balance, and it stinks of a partnership (arteta and edu) who are interested more in headlines and star signings than building a strong team

Cracking post, especially that second paragraph about the youngsters. It’s the very point I was making, as is the final paragraph about prioritising the areas of the team that desperately need attention.

It strikes me that...surprisingly...there are people on here that don’t seem to realise how vital the central midfield position is. It’s the beating heart of any team and if it’s sub par, then you’re fucked in both attack and defence. There are positions in the team where you can carry an average player if needs be, but you can’t carry a dodgy central midfield if you want success and we’ve been carrying it for fucking years. That’s where we need to desperately spend money. We obviously also need a top quality striker and I don’t put Jesus in that category.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

augie wrote:
Sometimes it can be hard to have mature debate when people view the transfer business as though they are playing a playstation game - for clarity purposes, can I say that buying bad is far worse than not buying imo, and to see a comment suggesting that we should be happy to be overspending on players now is juvenile in the extreme :roll: :oops:

I read comments about the need to build up the squad and to rotate the young front players to keep them fresh, but good management is about building a strong team first and THEN build a strong squad around it. Maybe it is a novel idea to some, but what say we build a strong team around smith-rowe, saka and martinelli, and maybe then they wouldnt be under as much pressure to win the games for us on their own ? :rubchin: Maybe if they had a top quality midfield behind them, they would get better service for starters, but also maybe the team wouldnt be as vulnerable and would be able to carry the front line when they have a bad day ? Being able to rest saka might help slightly some days, but it wont compensate the absolute clusterfuck with xhaka, cedric and tavares in the team :roll:

I am still a huge tierney fan and cannot go along with the insane suggestion that he should be sold cos of his injuries, but I am not oblivious to the fact that there is huge concerns around that left back spot right now, and I support the idea of buying another left full (Hickey would be my preference over martinez) with the plan that another injury riddled season for Tierney would be the end of his time at the club. For me, that (and the centre midfield position) should be the absolute priorities by a distance this summer - bringing in vieira and possibly raphina (both to replace squad player pepe apparently :roll: ) at a cost of over £100m is fantasy football management where you prioritise goals and assists over things like team balance, and it stinks of a partnership (arteta and edu) who are interested more in headlines and star signings than building a strong team

Bernardo, Grealish, Sterling, Foden, Mahrez, De Bruyne. Ay any given time last season two/three of these players will be on the bench. And when they make a sub its like for like in quality. People say we dont need Raphina, well City dont need Foden because they have Mahrez, or dont need Grealish because they have Bernardo. And who says we need to reinforce the wingbacks before the forward positions? Forwards get subbed more often than wingbacks. This is why its better to be better stocked in the forward positions. Further if we get Lisandro, White can play RB, Lisandro can ply LB.

Its not binary. Its not if we sign Jesus and Raphina then we dont get Teilimans or Lisandro. Im convinced the club is wanting all four.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Probably should have avoided the gay bars mate.
I just wanted to buy you a beer mate!! :wink: :D

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Salah exit rumours resurfacing again. This is why we need to sign Raphina quick and sort Saka's contract out. I understand he is still on holiday but FFS we have all this money to spend on Nketiah and transfer fees, so surely beneath the curtains the club has put together a PEA like deal for Saka. There were reports awhile ago suggesting we were preparing a 100k deal. I said at the time this wasnt near enough. He needs a 200k a week deal putting him on parity with our top earners, Partey and Jesus apparently.

Saka on a long term contract is worth 150m plus

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:54 pm
augie wrote:

Cracking post, especially that second paragraph about the youngsters. It’s the very point I was making, as is the final paragraph about prioritising the areas of the team that desperately need attention.

It strikes me that...surprisingly...there are people on here that don’t seem to realise how vital the central midfield position is. It’s the beating heart of any team and if it’s sub par, then you’re fucked in both attack and defence. There are positions in the team where you can carry an average player if needs be, but you can’t carry a dodgy central midfield if you want success and we’ve been carrying it for fucking years. That’s where we need to desperately spend money. We obviously also need a top quality striker and I don’t put Jesus in that category.
If you read what I said yesterday, I did qualify CM as a position that needs to be addressed with Zinchenko being my personal preferred solution because of his ability to play LB. He's cheaper than Martinez as well, but looks like he's going to Everton. Utter madness.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TeeCee wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:33 am
Probably should have avoided the gay bars mate.
I just wanted to buy you a beer mate!! :wink: :D
:lol:

And very big and tasty it was too. The beer, I mean! :shock:

:D :wink:

Midz

Post by Midz »

The value of Raphina seems to be increasing by £5m per day depending which paper you read.

The other day after Leeds valued him at £50m we put in a bid of £30m which they funnily enough rejected.

Now, Leeds have upped his value to £65m and the Mail are claiming Arsenal are preparing a new bid of 'something closer to £50m'.

I'd like us to get this player but please do it before another team simply come along and offer the correct money and buy him.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Midz wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:56 am
The value of Raphina seems to be increasing by £5m per day depending which paper you read.

The other day after Leeds valued him at £50m we put in a bid of £30m which they funnily enough rejected.

Now, Leeds have upped his value to £65m and the Mail are claiming Arsenal are preparing a new bid of 'something closer to £50m'.

I'd like us to get this player but please do it before another team simply come along and offer the correct money and buy him.
See my post from yesterday. Us buying Jesus gives City the cash to buy Phillips. Leeds therefore don’t need to sell Raphinha for anything less than top dollar.

KingHenry

Post by KingHenry »

augie wrote:
I am still a huge tierney fan and cannot go along with the insane suggestion that he should be sold cos of his injuries,
Tierney has missed 50% of the games through injury since he joined us.You cant go into another season hoping he is going to stay fit like we did with Wilshere for a decade. For the run in last season we ended up with Xhaka and Tavares playing LB. You just know Tierney cant stay fit

KingHenry

Post by KingHenry »

Midz wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:56 am

I think the club know Saka is not going to sign a new contract so are getting a replacement in now.Dont be surprised it either City or Liverpool come in with a late bid for Saka

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Whilst I don't believe Saka will be sold this summer, if he was, it would be a sackable offence on behalf of Martinez-Lite and Edutard.

I do believe though if we persist with Martinez-Lite then Saka and Martinelli will both be gone within two years.

KingHenry

Post by KingHenry »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:35 am
Whilst I don't believe Saka will be sold this summer, if he was, it would be a sackable offence on behalf of Martinez-Lite and Edutard.

I do believe though if we persist with Martinez-Lite then Saka and Martinelli will both be gone within two years.
Saka wont be at Arsenal this time next year.He is not stupid he knows Pep and Klopp would sign him tomorrow.He is in the last two years of his contract.Look at Mane top player went into the final year of his contract left Liverpool for £40m.Pep and Klopp will wait another year and get him on the cheap. Cant remember who was the last player we sold who was for their real worth?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

KingHenry wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:30 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:35 am

Saka wont be at Arsenal this time next year.He is not stupid he knows Pep and Klopp would sign him tomorrow.He is in the last two years of his contract.Look at Mane top player went into the final year of his contract left Liverpool for £40m.Pep and Klopp will wait another year and get him on the cheap. Cant remember who was the last player we sold who was for their real worth?
Willock ? Iwobi ? Walcott ? Song ?

But no our, top players like Fabregas, Van Persie, Henry, Vieira we let go far too cheaply ……as their winners medals testify.

Re Saka I think he’d love to stay , but we have to show him that he won’t be wasting his career here - he certainly has time to stay for 4 years, develop fully and then see where in World football he fancies playing - be it abroad or whoever is the top team in England at that time.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I don't think that any of the three are ready to go just yet but no champions league , cups or titles and they may well be off so0ner rather than later.