ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Midz

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Midz »

Do you actually believe we're interested in Raphael?

Reason I ask is there are rumours in The Beano that we're not, and never were.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Looking at Jesus stats over the five seasons at City, his best 3 seasons in terms of goals came in the period Arteta was first team coach. So, he is capable of 20 + goals a season which is more than Lacazette. I still prefer we had a bigger no.9, with aerial threat. Looking at the top 4 and the top teams across Europe they consistently have a 6ft + striker. I still think there is room for Calvert-Lewin.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:38 pm
TeeCee wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:14 pm
I think Jesus will be a very good signing for us. Just sign another 'big' striker now to compliment him!!

I dont understand that - are you saying a big striker is needed to play alongside him ? If so then you are suggesting either changing tactics to a 2 man forward line, or you are suggesting that he is playing wide of a main striker in which case he is playing instead of either saka, smith-rowe or martinelli :? My reality remains that the guy has NOT got the physical tools to play the 9 position in a front 3
Listening to reports, Jesus himself prefers to play on the right side of a front three, rather than through the middle. I'd love to see Martinelli move into that central position, which would save the club £50m on a central striker. However, if he isn't going to be given the chance then we will still need a big no.9. Arteta didn't try Martinelli through the middle yet, he's shown enough he is capable.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
TeeCee wrote:
I think Jesus will be a very good signing for us. Just sign another 'big' striker now to compliment him!!

I dont understand that - are you saying a big striker is needed to play alongside him ? If so then you are suggesting either changing tactics to a 2 man forward line, or you are suggesting that he is playing wide of a main striker in which case he is playing instead of either saka, smith-rowe or martinelli :? My reality remains that the guy has NOT got the physical tools to play the 9 position in a front 3
Listening to reports, Jesus himself prefers to play on the right side of a front three, rather than through the middle. I'd love to see Martinelli move into that central position, which would save the club £50m on a central striker. However, if he isn't going to be given the chance then we will still need a big no.9. Arteta didn't try Martinelli through the middle yet, he's shown enough he is capable.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:34 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:35 am
Whilst I don't believe Saka will be sold this summer, if he was, it would be a sackable offence on behalf of Martinez-Lite and Edutard.

I do believe though if we persist with Martinez-Lite then Saka and Martinelli will both be gone within two years.
Welcome to the party DB, but you neglected to add ESR to that list. Sadly, Arteta’s going nowhere, so Martinelli and ESR will get limited game time (if we get Raphina to add to the Vieira signing) and I can’t see them hanging around and killing their careers. There’ll be plenty of takers amongst the big boys.

As for Saka, he’s not gonna fuck about scrapping for somewhere between 5th and 8th position, when one of the CL sides would happily snap him up tomorrow.

I’d like to keep all three, but Martinelli is the one that I’d least like to lose, even though Arteta has already stunted his development and I doubt we’ll ever see the best of him at the Arsenal. Similar story with ESR in my opinion.
Martinelli played 36 games last year , fail to see the evidence Arteta doesnt like him .

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:41 pm
Looking at Jesus stats over the five seasons at City, his best 3 seasons in terms of goals came in the period Arteta was first team coach. So, he is capable of 20 + goals a season which is more than Lacazette. I still prefer we had a bigger no.9, with aerial threat. Looking at the top 4 and the top teams across Europe they consistently have a 6ft + striker. I still think there is room for Calvert-Lewin.
City never had a 6ft striker , only now they have purchased one.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

gooner265 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:48 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:34 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:35 am
Whilst I don't believe Saka will be sold this summer, if he was, it would be a sackable offence on behalf of Martinez-Lite and Edutard.

I do believe though if we persist with Martinez-Lite then Saka and Martinelli will both be gone within two years.
Welcome to the party DB, but you neglected to add ESR to that list. Sadly, Arteta’s going nowhere, so Martinelli and ESR will get limited game time (if we get Raphina to add to the Vieira signing) and I can’t see them hanging around and killing their careers. There’ll be plenty of takers amongst the big boys.

As for Saka, he’s not gonna fuck about scrapping for somewhere between 5th and 8th position, when one of the CL sides would happily snap him up tomorrow.

I’d like to keep all three, but Martinelli is the one that I’d least like to lose, even though Arteta has already stunted his development and I doubt we’ll ever see the best of him at the Arsenal. Similar story with ESR in my opinion.
Martinelli played 36 games last year , fail to see the evidence Arteta doesnt like him .

Well, personally, I think it was evident as soon as Arteta took over that he wasn't convinced by Martinelli. Admittedly he suffered a couple of lengthy injuries, which kept him out, but once fit, he was constantly fighting a battle to get into the team ahead of Pepe, which says it all. I can't be bothered to look into the stats, but how many of those games were as a starter, rather than a sub?

Listen, I sincerely hope you are right and that he's a first choice pick, but I doubt they're trying to sign Raphina for 50+ million to let him sit on the bench, or to take Saka's place.

Time will tell and feel free to remind me if I'm wrong....I'd rather be wrong than right.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

gooner265 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:50 pm
Nos89 wrote:
City never had a 6ft striker , only now they have purchased one.

In fairness to Nos, City have been an exception, but he's right in general terms. The trouble with Arteta is that he thinks we can play like City, or like Barca of 2008, but rather than Iniesta and Xabi pulling the strings, we've got a centre mid that would struggle in League 2.

I don't, however, share Nos' confidence that Jesus will be a goal machine because he'll be playing under Captain Black....there's the small matter of the other 10 players that Jesus had around him at City.

As for Calvert-Lewin, I'd prefer him to Jesus, despite the pictures of him posted on here! Was that really him??

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:47 pm
augie wrote:
TeeCee wrote:

Hmmm, not seen enough to be totally convinced about this, but I'd be prepared to give it a go....especially if the alternative is Gabi not starting.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Not sure where you are seeing those Jesus goal stats mate. He's never got near 20+ PL goals (which is the minimum requirement for a starting striker to be considered top class), indeed he's only scored more than 10 twice.

I hope he is a resounding success for us but I can't help feeling he is the answer to a question no one asked. :|

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:14 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Not sure where you are seeing those Jesus goal stats mate. He's never got near 20+ PL goals (which is the minimum requirement for a starting striker to be considered top class), indeed he's only scored more than 10 twice.

I hope he is a resounding success for us but I can't help feeling he is the answer to a question no one asked. :|

Actually DB, I did ask the question....unfortunately, Jesus was the wrong answer. :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:14 pm
Nos89 wrote:

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

Ohhhhh! You mean like the sound of one hand clapping! :D

John F

Post by John F »

I was reading a comment by a City fan about Jesus. He said he works hard when playing out wide but he has lost count of the number of chances he misses.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

John F wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:42 pm
I was reading a comment by a City fan about Jesus. He said he works hard when playing out wide but he has lost count of the number of chances he misses.

He'll fit in seamlessly at our gaff.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good One!