Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by Retro Gunner »

This thread might well start a row, but I have serious reservations about Ramsdale and I'm wondering what others think.

It's going over old ground with comments I've made on other threads, but I'll say it again anyway. Arteta made a major mistake in getting rid of Martinez and keeping Leno, to then replace the German with Ramsdale. After years of buffoons keeping goal for us, Leno seemed like a step in the right direction, but while I wasn't a vocal detractor of his, it became apparent that he wasn't top notch. Martinez was a revelation in those 13 or so games he played for us and was like a throw back to the old days...a big presence who commanded his box, actually caught the ball instead of flapping and punching poorly, made some fabulous saves and on top of it all, was a calm influence on the defenders around him. Still that ship has sailed and Carpet Head sold him.

With the decision quickly being shown up as the wrong one, Arteta decides to drop Leno and bring in Ramsdale. I've had doubts about the bloke from day one. He's chaotic and erratic, his positioning is poor, he comes for crosses then stops and gets caught in no-man's land, he flaps at crosses, often missing the ball completely and he too often pushes shots straight back out. He also does the manic arm waving and shouting and high five bollocks and is anything but a calm and reassuring figure for the defenders. He can cause panic. He reminds me of Pickford, who also carries on in that chaotic and manic way.

Yep, he's young and agile and will make the odd amazing save, like the one from the free kick at Leicester last season, but I've a horrible feeling that he'll cost more points than he saves us, which says it all. For what it's worth, that second goal he conceded on Saturday was a shocker and totally down to him.

BobbyPires7

Re: Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Started well. Appears to be unravelling quickly…

Turner is Runarrsson level. At best.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

If we are to stand any chance of getting in the Top 4 we need a World Class Goalie. Leno wasn't that, but on occasions was simply superb like the game against the scousers 2 seasons ago(?) sorry the seasons blur...

Ramsdale has all the qualities to be a World Class Goalie, BUT he is not there by any stretch of the imagination, he's big enough, strong enough (physically) and very agile and quick for such a big frame, but whether he has the "intelligence" required is another matter.

He started off brilliantly and has pulled off some worldy saves, which endeared him to many Gooners, also from what has been shown so far on the All Or Nothing documentary, he Hates being beaten and you can tell it really does get to him; even if we have won, which is a good thing, but again whilst he appears to have that fine balance of Mental Strength and Confidence he cannot afford or allow Arrogance to become his weakness.

He is part of a defence that is much better and certainly more confident & secure than we have had for a number of years, especially now that the fodder (Bellerin, Mari and the greek bloke have been shipped out). He has a good sense of humour and seems to be hard working and willing to learn all the time, so I guess time will tell, he is still only 24yrs of age, so may well have another 8 - 10 years in Football I like him as a bit of character as long as that doesn't interfere with his doing his job properly.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Ramsdale is starting to give Mad German vibes, spectacular at times but far too dramatic and mental at others :rubchin:

I think slightly worryingly he is, as someone stated recently, buying into the usual media hype over playing for England. He just needs to calm down and play sensibly, this is where we lack real leadership a TA6 or PV4 to take him to one side and give him a quiet word in his shell like!!!

NickF98

Post by NickF98 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:48 am
Martinez was a revelation in those 13 or so games he played for us and was like a throw back to the old days...
13 games, yet some on here would have you believe he's the new David Seaman. He just didn't really play enough games to make too many mistakes. He ended up at Villa - not PSG, Barca or Juventus but Villa.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

NickF98 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:56 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:48 am
Martinez was a revelation in those 13 or so games he played for us and was like a throw back to the old days...
13 games, yet some on here would have you believe he's the new David Seaman. He just didn't really play enough games to make too many mistakes. He ended up at Villa - not PSG, Barca or Juventus but Villa.

Strange comment if I might say so Nick. In my opinion, when someone plays exceptionally well for 13 games, it's long enough to not be a lucky run. He wasn't simply getting by, he was exceptional and let's face it, we could hardly claim that he had a fabulous defence protecting him! Even if, in your opinion, 13 games wasn't long enough to convince you, then surely, given the form he was showing, you'd have kept him in the side and let Leno fight for his place back? Instead, the Basque Brainbox gave Leno the number 1 slot for the new season. It made no sense and came on top when he bought Ramsdale and dropped Leno.

Also, for those 13 games (that's a third of a season), he was statistically the best keeper in the PL by quite some margin. Including the blokes at City and Liverpool that everyone gets carried away about. Didn't he also win the Copa America with Argentina winning the final via a penalty shoot-out?

Martinez did indeed go to Villa....Leno has gone to Fulham :oops: .

Anyway, this is all irrelevant (other than highlighting Arteta's crap decision making), as the Martinez horse has long bolted, although given the choice of all 3 keepers, I take Martinez all day long. Still, my post is about the suspect nature of Ramsdale's goalkeeping. You happy with him?

TomHelo14

Post by TomHelo14 »

Whenever he’s got it at feet, 8/10 he’s fluffin it and its goin to the opposition and he’s made a few howlers now already. The bloke doesn’t fill me with confidence

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

TomHelo14 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:28 pm
Whenever he’s got it at feet, 8/10 he’s fluffin it and its goin to the opposition and he’s made a few howlers now already. The bloke doesn’t fill me with confidence

Agreed Tom. For every Hollywood volleyed pass he hits, you know there’s a scuffed effort to the feet of the opposition centre forward coming over the horizon.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm not that worried about Ramsdale yet. He makes mistakes. All keepers do. The best keepers keep the unforced errors to a minimum but they still commit errors. I'm willing to wait and see how Ramsdale develops.

Goalkeeping has changed though. Nowadays keepers are expected (stupidly) to be footballers playing in and out to feet and I think the art of goalkeeping has suffered because of this idiocy.

For me, Ramsdale is far better than Butter Wrists was. A keeper that cannot catch a ball should not be in the professional game.

It's hard to compare him to Martinez. Martinez did nothing wrong during his run, but we only saw him over a very limited spell and during very unusual circumstances with no crowds. I think Martinez-Lite completely fucked up by handing the start back to Butter Wrists. He should have persevered with Martinez and seen how he looked over the course of a full season or two.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

What I was pleased to see was how quick he was to console and reassure Saliba after his own goal.
The wrong reaction from a keeper in that situation could have affected his confidence for the rest of the game.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:14 am
I'm not that worried about Ramsdale yet. He makes mistakes. All keepers do. The best keepers keep the unforced errors to a minimum but they still commit errors. I'm willing to wait and see how Ramsdale develops.

Goalkeeping has changed though. Nowadays keepers are expected (stupidly) to be footballers playing in and out to feet and I think the art of goalkeeping has suffered because of this idiocy.

For me, Ramsdale is far better than Butter Wrists was. A keeper that cannot catch a ball should not be in the professional game.

It's hard to compare him to Martinez. Martinez did nothing wrong during his run, but we only saw him over a very limited spell and during very unusual circumstances with no crowds. I think Martinez-Lite completely fucked up by handing the start back to Butter Wrists. He should have persevered with Martinez and seen how he looked over the course of a full season or two.

Yep, it's fair to wait DB, but I'm concerned to say the least. I've a feeling that this thread might see quite a bit of activity as the season progresses. I see a lot wrong with him technically, but his manic and erratic behaviour bothers me as much. I don't think a team that is seriously looking to compete can have the luxury of a young keeper that's still learning on the job. The best teams always have a rock solid keeper and the best one available to them. Time will tell.

As for Martinez, you're spot on that Leno should not have been re-instated as soon as he was fit. Martinez had done more than enough to keep his place and it's hardly as though Leno had been performing like Shilton at his peak, before he was injured, so he ought to have had to fight for his place. I made the exact same point above.

As for the circumstances Martinez was performing in, I addressed this in a different thread. He's been playing in front of full houses since being at Villa and has performed very well...he was the Villa fans' player of the season last campaign.

We sold the best keeper of the three imo.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Getting into the England team was the worst thing that could have happened to him at the end of last season, playing behind an utterly woeful Slabhead and weak link for City Kidney Stones. That Hungary game was a massive wake up call for him away from playing for us.

I'd prefer him to be well away from that shit show, especially with that personality vacuum in charge.

I was never a fan of Seaman playing for England either, getting pelters from the press or other fans for the odd mistake when he was so solid for us week in week out, the English team is a toxic place to be in.

Play well for Arsenal and nothing else matters!

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:38 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yep, it's fair to wait DB, but I'm concerned to say the least. I've a feeling that this thread might see quite a bit of activity as the season progresses. I see a lot wrong with him technically, but his manic and erratic behaviour bothers me as much. I don't think a team that is seriously looking to compete can have the luxury of a young keeper that's still learning on the job. The best teams always have a rock solid keeper and the best one available to them. Time will tell.

As for Martinez, you're spot on that Leno should not have been re-instated as soon as he was fit. Martinez had done more than enough to keep his place and it's hardly as though Leno had been performing like Shilton at his peak, before he was injured, so he ought to have had to fight for his place. I made the exact same point above.

As for the circumstances Martinez was performing in, I addressed this in a different thread. He's been playing in front of full houses since being at Villa and has performed very well...he was the Villa fans' player of the season last campaign.

Firstly I agree , Martinez should have kept his place and personally would have made Leno fight for his place. As for Ramsdale he had a season of two halves which happens with young goalkeepers and he is still very young. What I do like and you see it a few times in the documentary is his reaction to mistakes and eants to Improve . He has a long way to go but do believe he has the potential to be world class with a lot of work. I just hope this thread doesnt turn into another player bashing thread and yet anothercstick to beat Arteta with.

By the way Aaron has been player of the season 3 times with former clubs.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

gooner265 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:25 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Firstly I agree , Martinez should have kept his place and personally would have made Leno fight for his place. As for Ramsdale he had a season of two halves which happens with young goalkeepers and he is still very young. What I do like and you see it a few times in the documentary is his reaction to mistakes and eants to Improve . He has a long way to go but do believe he has the potential to be world class with a lot of work. I just hope this thread doesnt turn into another player bashing thread and yet anothercstick to beat Arteta with.

Damn, you got me!! That's why I started the thread. :lol:

To be honest, how the thread develops, depends on Ramsdale's performances. I agree that he's young, but as I said above, every top team has a solid and reliable keeper and if we're seriously looking to challenge, then we shouldn't have a young guy, still learning his trade, between the sticks. I feel it all the more, because I look at Martinez and know that we let the better keeper go.

Ramsdale might well get there, but we can't afford the fuck ups that might well happen on route.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:36 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:25 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Damn, you got me!! That's why I started the thread. :lol:

To be honest, how the thread develops, depends on Ramsdale's performances. I agree that he's young, but as I said above, every top team has a solid and reliable keeper and if we're seriously looking to challenge, then we shouldn't have a young guy, still learning his trade, between the sticks. I feel it all the more, because I look at Martinez and know that we let the better keeper go.

Ramsdale might well get there, but we can't afford the fuck ups that might well happen on route.
I nearly accused you of it :x , seriously you need to take your Martinez posters off the wall now and move on. :lol: