ALL OR NOTHING: Arsenal on Amazon Starts August Thursday 4th 2022

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: ALL OR NOTHING: Arsenal on Amazon Starts August Thursday 4th 2022

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:32 pm
I'm on portrait now and it's definitely wider and shorter, if I turn off portrait it becomes longer and thinner ,maybe I'm in Australia and everything is upside down 8)
:lol:

What type of device are you on? Phone, tablet or pc?

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:51 pm
Gunnerz4life wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:07 pm
The argument that the history of the Arsenal was not built on attractive free flowing football is flawed and is borne out of some old timers preference of the GG era. The titles under Chapman were won playing attractive football with the W-M formation popularized by Chapman. Also the Arsenal sides during the initial years of Wenger till the invincibles were not just great attacking sides but had players who were hard as nails and could match up to the nastiest of opponents.

And to compare the p*ssy Guendoozi"s antics against Brighton with our players of old is an insult. Hardman Doozi was bragging about how much he earns compared to the Brighton players :roll: :lol:
We played comparatively "attractive" football in the 30s given that the game was quite technically poor at the time. But in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and particularly the 70s and 80s we were generally boring and efficient but certainly not attractive. There were exceptions like ironically GG's 1991 title winning team that have never received the credit they were due for playing fast attractive technical football and a couple of our 1970s sides played attractive stuff at times.

But in general we were not an attractive footballing side until the first ten years of Wenger's reign. Of course Wenger fucked that up in the second ten years by insisting on getting rid of the powerful strong players and using too many weak lightweight technical players.

Also, hate to rain on your parade here, but many football historians now don't believe it was Chapman and Buchan that invented the WM formation and that it was in common use at that time and that Arsenal just had more success with the formation and thus it became associated with us.

Believing everything has always been rosey at Arsenal does not make you a better or more loyal fan. Take the blinkers off.
The league titles in 1947-48 and 1952-53 were won scoring a hatful of goals but my point is that even if we have played 'unattractive' football for a chunk of our history, it does not necessarily define us like the Wenger way does not solely define us.

There is nothing wrong with the club propagating 'attractive' football as our footballing identity when it has been part of our (successful) history and given how football is being played nowadays is the best recipe for success. It is absurd that people would take offense to that. Wenger is part of our identity as GG and Chapman are, whether anyone likes it or not.

Regarding your last 2 throwaway statements, I did not say Chapman and Buchan invented WM so you did not rain on anyone's parade. And no one believes that everything has always been rosey at Arsenal, a bit rich saying that given we haven't won a league title in almost two decades.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:52 pm
Any chance ye can make the quote towers longer cos we don't have enough of them

:lol: :lol:

Where's Rodders. He must be enjoying this on his mobile. :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:12 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:51 pm
Gunnerz4life wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:07 pm
The argument that the history of the Arsenal was not built on attractive free flowing football is flawed and is borne out of some old timers preference of the GG era. The titles under Chapman were won playing attractive football with the W-M formation popularized by Chapman. Also the Arsenal sides during the initial years of Wenger till the invincibles were not just great attacking sides but had players who were hard as nails and could match up to the nastiest of opponents.

And to compare the p*ssy Guendoozi"s antics against Brighton with our players of old is an insult. Hardman Doozi was bragging about how much he earns compared to the Brighton players :roll: :lol:
We played comparatively "attractive" football in the 30s given that the game was quite technically poor at the time. But in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and particularly the 70s and 80s we were generally boring and efficient but certainly not attractive. There were exceptions like ironically GG's 1991 title winning team that have never received the credit they were due for playing fast attractive technical football and a couple of our 1970s sides played attractive stuff at times.

But in general we were not an attractive footballing side until the first ten years of Wenger's reign. Of course Wenger fucked that up in the second ten years by insisting on getting rid of the powerful strong players and using too many weak lightweight technical players.

Also, hate to rain on your parade here, but many football historians now don't believe it was Chapman and Buchan that invented the WM formation and that it was in common use at that time and that Arsenal just had more success with the formation and thus it became associated with us.

Believing everything has always been rosey at Arsenal does not make you a better or more loyal fan. Take the blinkers off.
The league titles in 1947-48 and 1952-53 were won scoring a hatful of goals but my point is that even if we have played 'unattractive' football for a chunk of our history, it does not necessarily define us like the Wenger way does not solely define us.

There is nothing wrong with the club propagating 'attractive' football as our footballing identity when it has been part of our (successful) history and given how football is being played nowadays is the best recipe for success. It is absurd that people would take offense to that. Wenger is part of our identity as GG and Chapman are, whether anyone likes it or not.

Regarding your last 2 throwaway statements, I did not say Chapman and Buchan invented WM so you did not rain on anyone's parade. And no one believes that everything has always been rosey at Arsenal, a bit rich saying that given we haven't won a league title in almost two decades.

This is a rather odd argument being had. You're right Gunnerz, your past doesn't mean that your present and future necessarily remain the same....for instance, I was once young, incredibly handsome and highly intelligent and now I'm no longer young 8) ....but Augie and DB are absolutely correct to say that we were always known as 'boring Arsenal' and frankly, with a degree of justification.

The 70/71 heroic double winning team was a product of Don Howe's highly defensive coaching methods and at the time typified what Arsenal were known for. I was old enough to watch quite a lot of those games and if we went 1-0 up after 10 minutes, you could all go home, because we closed the game down. It was no doubt GG's inspiration for the coaching of his famous back four. The reputation did indeed go back to the 30's and the W 'stopper' centre half set up. Whether created by Chapman or not, it made us very solid defensively and because we conceded few goals for that era, we were depicted as a negative team...even a 1-0 team, which is crass considering the bundles of goals we used to score.

As with most things in life, perception carries more weight that fact. That said, we were a fucking boring side for most of my younger life, only opening up between GG's 87-91 years, after which, he gradually lost the plot.

So, you're all right....sort of.... :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:57 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:32 pm
I'm on portrait now and it's definitely wider and shorter, if I turn off portrait it becomes longer and thinner ,maybe I'm in Australia and everything is upside down 8)
:lol:

What type of device are you on? Phone, tablet or pc?

Phone, I'm definitely not PC

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Oh. My. Fuck. :cussing:

The three nil loss to Palarse. Who after playing shit for the entire first half comes storming into the dressing room and yells at his teammates "that was a fucking shit 45 minutes guys!"?

Who then turns his back like the ghost of the Big German Vagina and deflects one into his own net in the very next game?

Yep. Supercunt Clive. :banghead: :censored:

I literally hate this cùnt more and more with every episode of this show. :box: :censored:

Please someone do this cùnt's ACL. 8)

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Every pre-match teamtalk was the same.
Fight for every ball, energy, play forward....

I think the value of the teamtalk is overrated.

I think Jesus is going to be amazing. Leading by example from no.9

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Episode 8. I nearly had an epo. :cussing:

At the toon after a shit first half where Clive was probably the worst most ineffective player on the pitch, he starts yelling at the team in the dressing room and literally everyone is ignoring him. He's sat there screaming "wake up guys! Wake up! Everyone guys!" and no one is looking at him. They are all going about their business or holding seperate conversations and here's this talentless dickhead in the background playing it up to the camera. :censored:

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK DOES MARTINEZ-LITE SEE IN THIS WALKING LOBOTOMY? :oops: :roll:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:08 am
Episode 8. I nearly had an epo. :cussing:

At the toon after a shit first half where Clive was probably the worst most ineffective player on the pitch, he starts yelling at the team in the dressing room and literally everyone is ignoring him. He's sat there screaming "wake up guys! Wake up! Everyone guys!" and no one is looking at him. They are all going about their business or holding seperate conversations and here's this talentless dickhead in the background playing it up to the camera. :censored:

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK DOES MARTINEZ-LITE SEE IN THIS WALKING LOBOTOMY? :oops: :roll:
Looks like the guy who goes around blaming everyone else, as he knows much if the blame is on him, but will not own up to it.
Weak link in our team, regardless of scoring the odd goal in his new role, as he is too slow, ponderous on the ball and can’t tackle.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Overall it was interesting to see the little interactions behind the scenes and to see how "managed" every aspect of a modern club is. There were some proper cringe inducing moments but they were outweighed by the interesting stuff.

My main takeaways though are:

1. Martinez-Lite is a novice obsessed with gimmicks and makes very poor motivational team talks.

2. Clive is ten times the cùnt we all gave him credit for.

3. The title song is fucking appalling.

4. Saka is a great guy. His interactions with the young fan at the stadium were brilliant.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Arteta needs to stop screaming at the players. He has let his emotions get carried away with the game and its clear towards the end of the season it made no effect on the players and if anything, made them worse. He needs to be more calculated with the ranting. It is such an archaic form of management that simply would not be tolerated in any other workplace. I hope he has learned that from watching the documentary.
For me the dressing room needs more character and looking at Jesus and Zinchenko they will bring that with them. Saka will become a really strong voice in the dressing room, although we hadn't seen too much of him, he digs out Xhaka a couple of times which no one seems to do, and as he grows he'll challenge the manager as well. Also, loved it when I think it was AMN that took the piss out of Arteta with the rubbing of hands pre-match talk, after the game. It was also evident the dynamic of the changing room was significantly more vulnerable after the january transfer window. It seemed the players were looking around for a voice, a leader because not only Auba had gone, but for the younger Hale End lads, AMN was also gone, who by all accounts has a lot of respect from them.
I can see why the team last season was so inconsistent and just missed out, not just from the on the pitch performance but with the dynamic off it. It is with the manager still learning his role. That's what a lot of people have thought and it's glaring in the documentary.
Not sure what was gained by the assistant manager taking Eddie into the video to discuss his game, no instruction on how to get better, just telling him he needs to get better maybe there was a lot of it cut out but I saw nothing in there that would convince me the players would learn from him. With the young players, they will only improve by playing more regularly. We have a really good group of young players at the club, no ego's and they seem to keep themselves in check.
I said in an earlier post, I would love to see this season be on all or nothing because there is so much that needs to be developed and worked upon. The players hurt and disappointment after spurs and newcastle defeat was, for me, good to see. No laughing and joking, they knew they blew it and that's why this season would be a fascinating watch their reaction to the disappointment of last season.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Arteta needs to stop screaming at the players. He has let his emotions get carried away with the game and its clear towards the end of the season it made no effect on the players and if anything, made them worse. He needs to be more calculated with the ranting. It is such an archaic form of management that simply would not be tolerated in any other workplace. I hope he has learned that from watching the documentary.
Agree totally.

I enjoyed watching this series but each episode was pretty much the same. The actual tactics must have been cut out.

SingaporeG88ner

Post by SingaporeG88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:04 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:59 pm
Ah good,anything that makes it makes harder to read posts on here should be welcomed :barscarf:
The tranny from Singapore that's pretending to be the reincarnation of g88ner even figured out you just change from portrait to landscape view Mac.... or was it the original g88ner that figured that our? Or rodders? I don't know, it was one of those trannys anyway! :lol: :wink:
It was the Singapore tranny pretending to be the reincarnation of g88ner (never met the bloke)

Anyway, it was genuinely life changing to flip my phone 45 degrees and see the beauty of a quote tower finally come into focus! :gus:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SingaporeG88ner wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:45 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
Ah good,anything that makes it makes harder to read posts on here should be welcomed :barscarf:
The tranny from Singapore that's pretending to be the reincarnation of g88ner even figured out you just change from portrait to landscape view Mac.... or was it the original g88ner that figured that our? Or rodders? I don't know, it was one of those trannys anyway! :lol: :wink:
It was the Singapore tranny pretending to be the reincarnation of g88ner (never met the bloke)

Anyway, it was genuinely life changing to flip my phone 45 degrees and see the beauty of a quote tower finally come into focus! :gus:

Far be it from me to be a pedant, but shouldn't that be 90 degrees?? Still, I suppose things are a little slanted in Singapore. :D :wink:

SingaporeG88ner

Post by SingaporeG88ner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:51 pm
SingaporeG88ner wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:45 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Far be it from me to be a pedant, but shouldn't that be 90 degrees?? Still, I suppose things are a little slanted in Singapore. :D :wink:
:coffeespit:

And yeah, oops… 90 degrees… and I’m an engineer :oops: