ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner265

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by gooner265 »

Looking at Saka yesterday we clearly need a back up , so neto and Tielemans would be a fantastic window.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨 || Aston Villa have been credited with monitoring the Youri Tielemans situation as they look for a new Midfielder, however it appears Tielemans is destined for Arsenal, whether that be this summer, or next [Via - @JoshHolland_].

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:04 am
No new signings oer the sun...I know but...

Leaving ourselves short as ever. Promising start then don't make the extra effort to solidify.

Typical and so frustrating... partey absent and Jesus injured and we are back to square one and fooked
We're hardly short of players. Maybe quality, but we need to shift at least another 4 players before we can bring 2 in. This isn't a january transfer situation. We've still got Bellerin, AMN. Nelson and Soares in the squad ( I would add Xhaka in that list but we all know he ain't going anywhere). To bring in Tielemans and a winger we probably need those four to leave either on loan or permanently.
Don't understand why anyone would be frustrated with the transfer window we've had so far.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:41 pm
the playing mantis wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:04 am
No new signings oer the sun...I know but...

Leaving ourselves short as ever. Promising start then don't make the extra effort to solidify.

Typical and so frustrating... partey absent and Jesus injured and we are back to square one and fooked
We're hardly short of players. Maybe quality, but we need to shift at least another 4 players before we can bring 2 in. This isn't a january transfer situation. We've still got Bellerin, AMN. Nelson and Soares in the squad ( I would add Xhaka in that list but we all know he ain't going anywhere). To bring in Tielemans and a winger we probably need those four to leave either on loan or permanently.
Don't understand why anyone would be frustrated with the transfer window we've had so far.
not SO FAR, but if we dont make further quality additions, and thats for the reasons clearly explained 89, choose to ignore them if you so wish. Jesus injured, we are screwed. Partey unavailable. Again we are screwed. we have lost auba, laca, we are a striker down on last season irrespective of how you rate eddie, and we have all been crying out for more quality at cm for years.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Have to agree with Mantis here, we are still shot compared to last season as we have more games to play. We need another striker better than Eddie unless he intends to play Martinelli there which i doubt, and we need another CM/DCM at the bare minimum. Yes we need to offload but we have the spectre of past years where we offload late and cant secure replacements to worry about :rubchin:

I've never understood the brinksmanship inherent in our transfer dealings, get them in early even if you have to pay slightly more, then you have the whole summer to integrate them and offload those you no longer need because you know exactly who you do have :roll:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:09 pm
Can you honestly tell me that competition/back up for saka would be a more obvious area than competition/back-up to jesus ? The drop off from jesus to nketieh is alarming I would think, but neither area is more important for me than buying a number 8 and getting rid of xhaka
I’d be delighted with a new quality striker Augie (I’m sure we all would, especially a versatile one who can compliment Jesus) but I didn’t mention it because it seems there’s not a hope in hell of it happening after we signed Jesus and extended Nketiah’s contract.

We’re only really getting linked with wide right players and Tielemans. No strikers. That seems to be the reality of what might happen this week.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Some links to Asensio doing the rounds.

Don’t know him really but he’s 26, vastly experienced and if he’s an offensive player who can play centrally or wide, I’d worry a little for ESR and, to a lesser extent, even Vieira :rubchin:

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

While I share the concern on the perceived lack of depth in the striker position, just looking amongst 2 of our rivals, Sp*rs do not have a natural back up for Kane though Son and maybe Richarlison can play up front. The Chavs don't have a striker and are desperately trying to get a 33 year old Auba. Unless you are playing with 2 up front consistently which no one seems to do these days, it is difficult to have 2 strikers of similar calibre.

I know most here don't rate Eddie but I think he is a decent number 2. I have always felt that he was a decent finisher but his overall game was lacking. But he seems to have improved on that front, I felt he looked sharp when he came on against Fulham. For the EL group stages and the cup games, Eddie is more than a decent option.

We absolutely would be f*cked if Jesus gets a long term injury but one way to mitigate that to some extent is getting a player who is versatile and can play wide or centrally. I think someone like a Neto, Gakpo, Asensio or dare I say Zaha could do that or Martinelli can be moved up front.
Last edited by Gunnerz4life on Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨 Nicolas Pepe took £2.5m cut to join Nice on loan. 25% reduction (to £10m wage) very rare at club not in financial strife + underlines desire. #OGCNice cover 50% & Arsenal 25%
➕ #AFC unlikely to get Neto as #WWFC price looking unrealistic
@TheAthleticUK

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:53 am
I know most here don't rate Eddie but I think he is a decent number 2. I have always felt that he was a decent finisher but his overall game was lacking. But he seems to have improved on that front, I felt he looked sharp when he came on against Fulham. For the EL group stages and the cup games, Eddie is more than a decent option.

We absolutely would be f*cked if Jesus gets a long term injury but one way to mitigate that to some extent is getting a player who is versatile and can play wide or centrally. I think someone like a Neto, Gakpo, Asensio or dare I say Zaha could do that or Martinelli can be moved up front.
Agreed, and I think that’s the intent. Arteta said he wants more firepower and that doesn’t necessarily mean a striker (Luiz Diaz, Salah, Mane and Jota did that for Liverpool without being “strikers”) so I’m interested to see who we buy.

Also, as soon as we signed Jesus and extended the contract of Eddie, I kind of closed that part of my mind off as it’s clearly fanciful to expect a 3rd striker addition this summer (I think!). I love a classic aerial plan B but never mind :lol:

I like Eddie so good luck to the lad. I thought he got far too much criticism on the Fulham match thread considering he played well and caused problems. Also, the nickname on here “Eddie the feather” seems misplaced these days… is it me or has he filled out in recent months? :shock:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I'm buzzing from our start to the season but if there Is one thing you can point to for our season usually going up in smoke it's lack of signings. With Partey injured on Saturday we had to start Elneny and our other CM is usually Xhaka, that's the one area we really needed to address. As for a striker coming in, the club tried all last season to convince Nketiah to stay so we were never signing anyone other than Jesus.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨NEW: #Arsenal have reportedly pulled out of a deal to sign Pedro Neto from Wolves. They've walked away as Wolves are reluctant to sell. However, we're told Jorge Mendes is still pushing, hoping both clubs can come to some agreement before the window is shut. #AFC #TransferTalks

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:05 am
🚨NEW: #Arsenal have reportedly pulled out of a deal to sign Pedro Neto from Wolves. They've walked away as Wolves are reluctant to sell. However, we're told Jorge Mendes is still pushing, hoping both clubs can come to some agreement before the window is shut. #AFC #TransferTalks
Why on earth did Neto and his agent sign a new, long term contract earlier this year if he was interested in a move away? Mental.

Zaha, Grealish, Kane, etc did a similar thing. Sign a contract then want to leave but can’t because they’ve now given the selling club an insanely strong hand.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:55 am
🚨 Nicolas Pepe took £2.5m cut to join Nice on loan. 25% reduction (to £10m wage) very rare at club not in financial strife + underlines desire. #OGCNice cover 50% & Arsenal 25%
➕ #AFC unlikely to get Neto as #WWFC price looking unrealistic
@TheAthleticUK
FFS we’re paying 25% of Pepe’s wages so our £72m
man can play in France for someone else? Well, that’s not very Nice at all :x

augie

Post by augie »

BFG4 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:40 am
I'm buzzing from our start to the season but if there Is one thing you can point to for our season usually going up in smoke it's lack of signings. With Partey injured on Saturday we had to start Elneny and our other CM is usually Xhaka, that's the one area we really needed to address. As for a striker coming in, the club tried all last season to convince Nketiah to stay so we were never signing anyone other than Jesus.

The amount of members on here that were loudly proclaiming on here for months that it was a certainty that we would be bringing in a midfielder to upgrade on xhaka was comical given pep's cone boy has never been anything other than 100% committed to the swiss turd :roll: :oops: :oops:
Should have been 2 priorities this summer - one was a striker and the other was a quality midfielder to play alongside partey, but we ignored the second part to focus on squad depth :evil: