Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Redarmy

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Redarmy »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:23 pm
Well done Arteta on getting his tactics spot on in the last two league games. He's got a long way to go but he's becoming a top quality manager. His tactics nullified both Salah and TAA today, and Son and Kane last week.
We are in a title race and currently keeping the media anointed "best team in the world" in second place, and just beaten "the best premier League team ever".
We are currently the team to catch, and we will be caught at some point.
There's no denying it, but Arteta has done an awful lot to get us a team that's being respected, again.
Agree about the Arteta comments, he has made mistakes along the way but seems to really getting the results now...beating scouse scum was a big step...i still think we can beat city at home....if we keep all key players fit

As for son and kane to be honest at least twice kane would have been through on goal but for a sloppy pass from son....but that system they play is hard to counter especially with those 2 upfront...i personally hate that football

We were absolute superb against scum playing real open attacking football...the Arsenal way

Arteta has made changes and hes keen to learn and from where we were when he was first appointed manager we have made a terrific turnaround..im very hopefull for this season..something i have not been for many seasons

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I haven't read the expression "cluster fuck" on this forum so far this season so Arteta must be doing something right 😁

It's the only place I'd ever seen that term used.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I think DB used it the other week :rubchin:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Didn't know where to put this thought...given that everything is clicking along nicely there is no away game in the premier League that this team hasn't played at in the last couple of seasons, so there shouldn't be any unpleasant surprises. We, played and lost at Forest last season so they'd want to put that right.
Arteta and this team will be in a place where they can prepare well with the knowledge and experience of getting a result at any ground. Obviously, Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle will be the litmus test to any title aspirations.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Just worked out at our current rate we're on target to 33 matches league matches this season. Won't happen but would be pretty fantastic if it did

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Win rate ratio of 58.87, best stats of any Arsenal manager.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm not quite sold on him yet but have to admit there is a massive improvement in the side this season.

Yes we've mostly played poor to average teams, yes he blew it badly against manure, and yes that was not a good mouser side, but you can only play what's in front of you and we have done that and we've deserved every win we've had so far.

Hard to say how much of that is down to Martinez-Lite (that one's for soccer fanboy fivetothree :lol: ), or the addition of Jesus and the form of Martinelli, or maybe just a good run of form, or a combination of all of that, or parts of everything mentioned above.

Either way if he keeps improving us and we win a cup or push citeh all the way, then I think he will have earned the support of everyone. But it's a long season ahead. I'll wait and see how he does before I lose my shit. :wink:

Also, cannot believe some Arsenal fans talking about us winning the league based on 8 good games against mostly poor teams. Calm down lads. :wink:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Spoil sport

We need to get you to a game and if the atmosphere and the team play like they have the last 2 then we will have you going in to work on a Monday morning singing

Weve got super Mik Arteta😁

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

herbert wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:38 pm
Spoil sport

We need to get you to a game and if the atmosphere and the team play like they have the last 2 then we will have you going in to work on a Monday morning singing

Weve got super Mik Arteta😁
He can play guitar mate, but fuck he can't sing. :D :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:15 pm
I'm not quite sold on him yet but have to admit there is a massive improvement in the side this season.

Yes we've mostly played poor to average teams, yes he blew it badly against manure, and yes that was not a good mouser side, but you can only play what's in front of you and we have done that and we've deserved every win we've had so far.

Hard to say how much of that is down to Martinez-Lite (that one's for soccer fanboy fivetothree :lol: ), or the addition of Jesus and the form of Martinelli, or maybe just a good run of form, or a combination of all of that, or parts of everything mentioned above.

Either way if he keeps improving us and we win a cup or push citeh all the way, then I think he will have earned the support of everyone. But it's a long season ahead. I'll wait and see how he does before I lose my shit. :wink:

Also, cannot believe some Arsenal fans talking about us winning the league based on 8 good games against mostly poor teams. Calm down lads. :wink:
That was a full strength Liverpool side. Only missing mane, sold, and Robertson, injured. Tsimakis is hardly weaker, I'd say he's quicker and would've started ahead of Robertson.
Spurs certainly weren't missing anyone from their strongest team so to suggest we've played weakened teams is a long way off.
Arteta's masterstroke was putting Tomi on the left, he stopped the ball from getting to Salah on all but one occasion. Yes, he fucked it up at OT, but certainly made up for it in our last two league games.
The team clearly believe in the manager.
If we are top or in the top 2 going into the world cup ( can't believe I'm saying that, bloody disgraceful FIFA) we've got as good as chance as anybody. Sounds selfish but I'm hoping most of our players miss out on going to this tournament.

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

When Emery was sacked, I recall a few posters suggesting Ancelotti and Allegri's name. Looking at how their careers had gone since, Ancelotti was at Everton and bailed at the first chance he got to Madrid, ending up winning the CL and the league and leaving Everton in shambles to the point that they were fighting relegation. Allegri waited till the Juve vacancy became available and Juve has been in a bit of a freefall since he was appointed.

While one may never know how they would have fared at us, it kind of proves that a big name does not necessarily guarantee success.

The only template of a struggling club that has not been pimped up by Russian or Middle East sugar daddies becoming title challengers over the recent past in the PL are Leicester and Liverpool. Leicester were an anomaly that will not be repeated for years to come. Liverpool invested in a long term project and appointed a manager who may not have won as many trophies as some others in the market but was a manager of pedigree with charisma and a style of football that is proven to be successful, someone who was ready to own and drive the long term vision.

Arteta was never in my list of potential candidates but I was in favour of appointing a young manager with a good CV of making the most of limited resources with a footballing philosophy that is sustainable. I would have really liked us to get Nagelsmann who was at Hoffenheim at the time and also thought Ten Haag would be a decent choice.

However ever since Arteta joined and having listened to him, I have identified with the vision. But it was always going to about whether he could put the theory to practice. He obviously has made mistakes and there was a good case to sack him during his first full season. But he had turned it around and not only has he changed the culture of the club with all the passengers shown the door and players willing to run to the ground brought in but also the entire mood of the fanbase. He deserves credit for that. However that credit will not last long if there isn't one big trophy in the cabinet or at least a serious title push in the near future.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:55 am
When Emery was sacked, I recall a few posters suggesting Ancelotti and Allegri's name. Looking at how their careers had gone since, Ancelotti was at Everton and bailed at the first chance he got to Madrid, ending up winning the CL and the league and leaving Everton in shambles to the point that they were fighting relegation. Allegri waited till the Juve vacancy became available and Juve has been in a bit of a freefall since he was appointed.

While one may never know how they would have fared at us, it kind of proves that a big name does not necessarily guarantee success.

The only template of a struggling club that has not been pimped up by Russian or Middle East sugar daddies becoming title challengers over the recent past in the PL are Leicester and Liverpool. Leicester were an anomaly that will not be repeated for years to come. Liverpool invested in a long term project and appointed a manager who may not have won as many trophies as some others in the market but was a manager of pedigree with charisma and a style of football that is proven to be successful, someone who was ready to own and drive the long term vision.

Arteta was never in my list of potential candidates but I was in favour of appointing a young manager with a good CV of making the most of limited resources with a footballing philosophy that is sustainable. I would have really liked us to get Nagelsmann who was at Hoffenheim at the time and also thought Ten Haag would be a decent choice.

However ever since Arteta joined and having listened to him, I have identified with the vision. But it was always going to about whether he could put the theory to practice. He obviously has made mistakes and there was a good case to sack him during his first full season. But he had turned it around and not only has he changed the culture of the club with all the passengers shown the door and players willing to run to the ground brought in but also the entire mood of the fanbase. He deserves credit for that. However that credit will not last long if there isn't one big trophy in the cabinet or at least a serious title push in the near future.
Thats a very good post

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Gunnerz4life wrote:

Nice to see a very level-headed constructive summary of what Arteta has achieved.

There is no doubt, he's effectively served an apprenticeship with Arsenal and made a LOT of mistakes along the way, 2 seasons ago he could easily have been sacked. But that wasn't in any way his team. The board to their credit bought into what Arteta and Edu wanted to achieve and our recruitment for the last two seasons has been spot on.

Arteta has the dressing room 100% onside, he ditched anyone who didn't buy into the ethics of what Arsenal Football Club is about. It was messy, yes, but it had to be done even if it was in the public gaze.

What we now have is one of the best young managers in world football, tactically he has proven that he's now up there with the best, especially this season, and it's time to stop all the sniping and back him. He turned Xhaka around from a complete basket case to an undroppable number 8. That in its own right is some achievement.

I am loving being an Arsenal fan again for the first time in years, the atmosphere at the home games is the best since we left Highbury.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:24 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:15 pm

That was a full strength Liverpool side. Only missing mane, sold, and Robertson, injured. Tsimakis is hardly weaker, I'd say he's quicker and would've started ahead of Robertson.
Spurs certainly weren't missing anyone from their strongest team so to suggest we've played weakened teams is a long way off.
Arteta's masterstroke was putting Tomi on the left, he stopped the ball from getting to Salah on all but one occasion. Yes, he fucked it up at OT, but certainly made up for it in our last two league games.
The team clearly believe in the manager.
If we are top or in the top 2 going into the world cup ( can't believe I'm saying that, bloody disgraceful FIFA) we've got as good as chance as anybody. Sounds selfish but I'm hoping most of our players miss out on going to this tournament.
No it wasn't mate. If you want to be pedantic about it, the mousers were maybe "full strength" for the players available at the moment, but certainly it was a weakened and poor mouser team compared to the last three seasons. There's no shame in admitting we beat an underperforming mouser side that is currently a shadow of their former selves. It was still a huge psychological win for us.

They've gone from winning the PL and then almost achieving the quadruple (thank God they didn't) to having an abysmal start to the season to the extent they are out of the title race in early October! :shock: :lol:

Of the three key players that led that team, Mane was a huge loss for them, and Salah's incredible drop in form has further ruined them. That is nowhere near the victim side of the last three years or so.

Also, I never said the scum were weakened, but they certainly were average! :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:41 am
Gunnerz4life wrote:

Nice to see a very level-headed constructive summary of what Arteta has achieved.

There is no doubt, he's effectively served an apprenticeship with Arsenal and made a LOT of mistakes along the way, 2 seasons ago he could easily have been sacked. But that wasn't in any way his team. The board to their credit bought into what Arteta and Edu wanted to achieve and our recruitment for the last two seasons has been spot on.

Arteta has the dressing room 100% onside, he ditched anyone who didn't buy into the ethics of what Arsenal Football Club is about. It was messy, yes, but it had to be done even if it was in the public gaze.

What we now have is one of the best young managers in world football, tactically he has proven that he's now up there with the best, especially this season, and it's time to stop all the sniping and back him. He turned Xhaka around from a complete basket case to an undroppable number 8. That in its own right is some achievement.

I am loving being an Arsenal fan again for the first time in years, the atmosphere at the home games is the best since we left Highbury.

Yes, it seems like a million years doesn't it. :barscarf: