SCIENCE And Related Scientific Subjects

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

SCIENCE And Related Scientific Subjects

Post by OneBardGooner »

Artemis: Nasa will try to launch Moon rocket on Saturday (3rd September 2022)

By Jonathan Amos
BBC Science Correspondent, Cape Canaveral

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62733267

The US space agency says it will try to launch its new Moon rocket on Saturday.

An attempt at a lift-off on Monday had to be scrubbed when one of four engines on the vehicle would not cool down to its required operating temperature.

After reviewing data, engineers believe they now understand why the issue occurred.

They think it is likely related to an inaccurate sensor reading and that they can develop a strategy to deal with the problem on launch day.
This involves starting the process of chilling the engines earlier in the countdown.

"We've got a path forward to get to where we need to get to, to support the next launch," said John Honeycutt, who manages the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket project at Nasa.

Saturday's launch will be timed for 14:17 local time (18:17 GMT; 19:17 BST) at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Controllers will be given two hours to get the rocket off Earth.

OneBardGooner

Re: SCIENCE And Related Scientific Subjects

Post by OneBardGooner »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62758482

The US space agency has had to postpone the launch of its new Artemis I Moon rocket for the second time in a week.

Controllers were unable to stop a hydrogen leak on the vehicle, almost from the start of Saturday's countdown procedure.

Nasa now has another opportunity to launch the rocket on Monday or Tuesday.

After that the vehicle will have to return to its assembly building for inspection and maintenance, which will mean further delays.

The Space Launch System is the most powerful rocket ever developed by Nasa, and is designed to send astronauts and their equipment back to the lunar surface after an absence of 50 years.

Nasa calls off new Moon rocket launch
A photographic mission to show us the Moon
Artemis: To the Moon and beyond
Much of the SLS's enormous thrust comes from burning almost three million litres of super-cold liquid hydrogen and oxygen in four big engines on the vehicle's underside.

But when controllers sent the early morning command to fill the rocket's hydrogen tank, an alarm went off, indicating there was a leak.

The problem was traced to the connection where the hydrogen was being pumped into the vehicle.

Controllers tried a number of fixes, including allowing the hardware to warm up for short periods, hoping this might reset the seal. But without success.

The Artemis I mission is an uncrewed demonstration, but Nasa Administrator Bill Nelson said the rocket's future role in human spaceflight meant extreme care was still required in its operation.

"We will go when it's ready," he stressed. "We don't go until then, and we make sure it's right before we put humans up on the top of it."

It's possible Nasa could try again in the next few days. But there are battery systems on this rocket that will soon need inspection. And if the vehicle has to be rolled back to the engineering building for further work, it could be mid-October before we see it again on the launch pad.
Nasa astronaut Zena Cardman said she understood everyone's frustration but they should recognise the challenge of working with super-cold propellants.

"Liquid hydrogen is a fickle substance; it's difficult to handle. But the fact that we're able to get this much data is really, really helpful. I think we'll be able to resolve this issue in the future. Every time we encounter an issue, it makes us that much wiser the next time," she told BBC News.
Saturday's attempt to despatch the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket had been scheduled for the start of a two-hour window beginning at 14:17 local time (19:17 BST; 18:17 GMT).

The 100m-tall vehicle's objective is to hurl a human-rated capsule, called Orion, in the direction of the Moon, something that hasn't happened since Project Apollo ended in 1972.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Copy and paste? How very dare you! :D

I know that some people will say that it’s a waste of money, but nonetheless I think that it’s exciting that we’re going to the moon again.

Reminds me of the early 70s, we’ve even got the same economic situation. Let’s hope that the Arsenal don’t decline as well!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Andrew wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:10 am

I know that some people will say that it’s a waste of money, but nonetheless I think that it’s exciting that we’re going to the moon again.

Reminds me of the early 70s, we’ve even got the same economic situation. Let’s hope that the Arsenal don’t decline as well!
I was thinking much the same thing when I C & C'd it from the BBC :high5:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I mean WHAT THE HOLY FUCK!!!!!???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63039191

So NASA in their wisdom (NOTTTT!) Decide to send a probe to Collide and smash into an Asteroid millions of miles from earth.

Was it headed towards Earth, apparently not, but Hey! Why the fuck should that stop us from smashing up a Heavenly Body that has no connection with The Planet Earth, It's Peoples or Anything else related to our planet!

So, imagine there is a Higher Intelligence (Not difficult) Out There Observing Planet Earth and all its inhabitants..."Oh! Look did you see that unsuspecting, innocent Asteroid; you know the one with a consciousness all of its own, going about its business flying through the endless vasts of space and WHAMMMM! These pathetic low minded things called humans decide to do an act of violence upon it, maybe we should just blow the whole fucking thing up so they cannot do anymore damage,, I mean in the last 2,000 years they have managed to destroy countless other species on the planet whilst conducting wars between themselves; for nonsensical reasons they call power and ownership of lands etc.. Hmmmm! :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

Aren't the same people those Americans (NASA) you know the one's who are Always Loud and think they are the Police of the whole planet, aren't they due to send one of their environmentally damaging Rockets to the Moon that orbits their planet in a few days??

Maybe we should Blast that to smithereens to see how they like it?... :rubchin: Orrrrr we could wait till they put some humans on the second launch and wipe them out... see how they react to that?? :mrgreen:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I found myself accidentally listening to this BBC Radio 4 Programme this morning called "In Our Time" - Presented by Melvyn Bragg it focuses on a different topic each week and this morning's programme was a fascinating listen on "The Electron", I have never been very scientific minded, my level of interest in my schooldays was Zilch!

But this was quite good!

45 Minutes long:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001cf1n

8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Andrew wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:10 am

Absolutely. We have to advance our species and our technology by exploring the moon and space - and also the plain excitement of it is fucking cool. It's what seperates us from the animals and the French. 8)

*only kidding, Frenchies! :lol: :wink:

Fucking cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Sorry, kidding again! :D :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

"Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys"

:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Do you ave a leecunce for your minkay?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:30 pm

It's a beautiful line. I robbed it from The Simpsons. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:34 pm

Do you ave a leecunce for your minkay?
:lol:

I like to think Wenger said that to Ferguson about the incestuous Giggs weirdo. :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:15 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:30 pm

It's a beautiful line. I robbed it from The Simpsons. :lol:
Say No More Matt Groening fuckin' Genius !

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

Yeah! Yer right Giggsaaay The Monkaaay! Kinda rolls off the tongue :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

See What I Mean... These Thick-As-SHIT-DULLARDCUNTS!!!!

By Nathan Williams
BBC News

A new image shows that an asteroid which was deliberately struck by Nasa's Dart probe has left a trail of debris stretching thousands of kilometres.
A telescope in Chile captured the remarkable picture of a comet-like plume spreading behind the giant rock.
The probe was crashed last week to test whether asteroids that might threaten Earth can be nudged out of the way.
Scientists are working to establish whether the test was a success, and the asteroid's trajectory altered.
The extraordinary image was taken two days after the collision by astronomers in Chile, who were able to capture the vast trail using the Southern Astrophysical Research Telescope (Soar).

It stretches for more than 10,000km (6,200 miles), and is expected to get even longer until it disperses completely, and looks like other space dust floating around.

"It is amazing how clearly we were able to capture the structure and extent of the aftermath in the days following the impact," said Teddy Kareta, an astronomer involved in the observation.

The trail of debris would be monitored over the coming weeks and months, Michael Knight of the US Naval Research Laboratory said.
Infographic.

The $325m (£240m) Dart mission saw the probe deliberately smashed into the asteroid, destroying the spacecraft in the process. It will be some weeks before scientists know for sure whether their experiment has worked.

However, Dr Lori Glaze, the director of planetary science at Nasa, was convinced something remarkable had been achieved by the mission.

"We're embarking on a new era of humankind, an era in which we potentially have the capability to protect ourselves from something like a dangerous hazardous asteroid impact. What an amazing thing; we've never had that capability before," she told reporters.

Direct hit as Nasa smashes spacecraft into asteroid
Scientists will determine whether the mission has been successful by studying the changes to the orbit of Dimorphos around another asteroid called Didymos.

Telescopes on Earth will make precise measurements of the two-rock, or binary, system.
Dart is an acronym for Double Asteroid Redirection Test.

It was designed to do "exactly what is says on the tin", mission lead Dr Andy Rivkin told BBC News.

The technique could be used if there was an asteroid heading for Earth at some point in the future, he said, describing it as a "very simple idea" - ramming the spacecraft into the object you are worried about, and using the mass and speed of the craft "to slightly change the orbit of that object enough so that it would miss the Earth".

£240MILLION!!!

What a WASTE of fuckin' Money - DullardCUNTS! May as well have thrown all that money on a Bonfire and Called it Mission "CliveElCunto"... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

This is Awesome!!!

They are watching the spinning debris of a major explosion in space that occurred over a thousand years ago... and the radio waves that Jodrell Bank are reading/ scanning are being turned into 'sounds' - like Whoaaaa! Listen to this!:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-e ... t-62276833

8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Source BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64002977

So we have all these countries: American, Russia, China, India, Japan, UK/ European Countries All spending BILLIONS to put humans on the Moon, each electing to land on different areas, all with the intention (though not officially declared or stated, of "Staking The Claim" for said area/s.

I mean WTF!???

All it means is that the Wars, Hostilities etc etc etc That have been going on for much of Modern History will simply be re-enacted again on The Moon.

Here's an Idea! Rather than Waste All Those Billions and Billions of whatever currency they use, simply get together as One Organisation and firstly SOLVE the fucking problems we have here on Earth: War, Conflict, Hunger, Poverty, Diseases, Pollution. Global Warming etc etc etc ...THEN
start looking at Landing people on The Moon as one Organisation with no conflicts of interest....?

It is Utter Madness. We the Human Race Do Not Deserve to Survive or inflict our ego-driven disease upon another Celestial Body/ Planet/Realm.

As Long as there are Those Craving Power : The Ego-Maniacs Running Things it will just continue on and on and on and on.... :cry: