Odegaard appreciation thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Odegaard appreciation thread

Post by Nos89 »

Did a search couldn't find a thread on our club captain...
I was totally wrong about him, he seemed too lightweight for the Premier League when he was on loan. There was never doubting his talent. Still needs to get a bit of aggression into his game. Although, he is starting to dictate and influence games.
Having grown up watching Rocastle, Bergkamp , Fabregas and prime Ozil, he is a player of that ilk. Got some way to be in DB10 class but he's making fantastic progress.
Also, looks like a captain that might stay for a few years.

DB10GOONER

Re: Odegaard appreciation thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

I liked him when he first signed because he obviously had technical skill, then disliked how he drifted out of the tougher games, then liked his passing against the weaker teams, then disliked him again as he drifted out of the tougher games, but now am really liking him as he is starting to not just pick out those lovely weighted passes but is also going looking for the ball.

Could he toughen up a bit? Absolutely. But he is a Rolls Royce, not a Volvo! :D

I'm pretty sure we did have a thread for him though..... :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:32 pm
Did a search couldn't find a thread on our club captain...
I was totally wrong about him, he seemed too lightweight for the Premier League when he was on loan. There was never doubting his talent. Still needs to get a bit of aggression into his game. Although, he is starting to dictate and influence games.
Having grown up watching Rocastle, Bergkamp , Fabregas and prime Ozil, he is a player of that ilk. Got some way to be in DB10 class but he's making fantastic progress.
Also, looks like a captain that might stay for a few years.

So was I :oops: I thought he was too Lightweight in the challenges and hustle & Bustle of the Prem, that side of his game has improved, but I think he simply isn't one of those (physical & Shove the opponent off the ball) type players. However, he does make up for it with some damn fine silky skills... That pass for Martinelli to score against Brighton was Gorgeous and not many players a) Would have seen the pass/opportunity, but b) Actually make the pass.

He doesn't seem to be one of those Vocal - give someone encouragement or a Bollocking type Captain, but according to Arteta he Leads by Example, but also he is always shouting advise and directions to his team mates (Not in a Clive type way either! :roll: )... And of course no surprise that those Cun,ts R,madrid now want him back after we took a chance on him AND Arteta & The Coaching Staff have made him a much better player than when he arrived.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

And then there was tonight. Hardly seen .

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:27 pm

Yes, this for me is the real mark of a player...does he show up or disappear in the big games and/or when the going gets tough. He faded after the first 10 minutes last night. With Scum, Utd and City on the horizon, we'll have a clear picture by mid Feb. Quite apart from this, who thought that he was captain material?? Still, that armband hasn't meant anything at the club since Paddy left.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:17 pm
A11M11 wrote:

Yes, this for me is the real mark of a player...does he show up or disappear in the big games and/or when the going gets tough. He faded after the first 10 minutes last night. With Scum, Utd and City on the horizon, we'll have a clear picture by mid Feb. Quite apart from this, who thought that he was captain material?? Still, that armband hasn't meant anything at the club since Paddy left.
Absolutely agree the armband situation has been disgraceful for years. When you think of the Legends that have worn it and then you see a spoiled selfish fucking child like Lobotomy Clive get it, piss all over its legacy, and THEN GET TO WEAR IT AGAIN.... its the carry on of cùnts to be honest. :censored:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:24 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:17 pm
A11M11 wrote:

Absolutely agree the armband situation has been disgraceful for years. When you think of the Legends that have worn it and then you see a spoiled selfish fucking child like Lobotomy Clive get it, piss all over its legacy, and THEN GET TO WEAR IT AGAIN.... its the carry on of cùnts to be honest. :censored:
Carry On Cu.nts.......were Sid James and Kenneth Williams in that one? Perhaps it was an Online Gooner Production. No problem picking a star cast from the lot on here. :barscarf:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Really, really good Odegaard interview, well worth a 5 min read :barscarf: :barscarf:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... 6ncfVEgoko

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:56 pm
Really, really good Odegaard interview, well worth a 5 min read :barscarf: :barscarf:

Top read. Lives round the corner from me.

wibble

Post by wibble »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:13 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:

Don’t reveal your source! :wink:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

wibble wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:25 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:13 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:

Don’t reveal your source! :wink:
He lives next door to King Ralph.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Stuart L (2) wrote:

Good read that. :)

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Midz wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:25 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:

That's a lovely article and he always comes across as a nice bloke who just happens to be very good at football.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:

Thanks Stuart I enjoyed that, a very good read! :cheers:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:36 pm
Midz wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:25 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:

That's a lovely article and he always comes across as a nice bloke who just happens to be very good at football.
Cheers mate, 🍻 I once got player of the week at Bobby Moore soccer school you know 😉 I’ve not been the same since my acl reconstruction though.