League finish prediction (22/23)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Where will we finish?

Top 2 (haha)
11%
3rd/4th
49%
5th/6th
35%
7th/8th
5%
9th/10th
No votes
Bottom half!
No votes

Total votes: 37

TomHelo14

Re: League finish prediction (22/23)

Post by TomHelo14 »

Citeh
Scouse
Scum
The Arsenal

Genuinely think we will have enough this year. We would have got it last year but didn’t have anyone to put the ball in the net. Now we do.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Thought I ought to make my prediction before the season gets seriously underway. Despite our maximum points after 2 games, I'm still going for a 5th/6th finish. There's a better balance and quality level in the team due to aquisitions, but our opponents have strengthened too and were starting from a higher base. Very impressed by Chelsea last week, although they still need a proper goalscorer, so let's hope they don't buy one.

I'm going for:

City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Scum

Us probably 5th, but wondering if the Geordies might pose a threat. I suspect it's a season too early for them, a bit like Ranieri at Chelsea when Abramovich first bought them. Gave him a year and a lot of money to spend, but had Mourinho in place for the 2nd year.

Can't see us getting 4th while we still have the centre mid of Clubfoot, Partey and Odegaard. Getting rid of Xhaka and having a sound replacement would probably give us the ability to get by with the other two, but we all know that ain't gonna happen. As it is, you can't carry that weak a central midfield. The big boys will dominate us.

Anyway, 5th/6th.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Third is more than realistic and 2nd if Liverpool keep faltering and Darwin flops. Thiago is injured and Henderson and Milner cant play every game. Liverpool also have one of the oldest squads in the league by average age y the sheer fact they have so many players over 30. It must be the oldest.

I dont understand why so many rate Tottenham so highly. Like fuck we cant finish above them as well as Chelsea.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:04 am
Third is more than realistic and 2nd if Liverpool keep faltering and Darwin flops. Thiago is injured and Henderson and Milner cant play every game. Liverpool also have one of the oldest squads in the league by average age y the sheer fact they have so many players over 30. It must be the oldest.

I dont understand why so many rate Tottenham so highly. Like fuck we cant finish above them as well as Chelsea.
We certainly could finish above Spurs and Chelsea but we still have quite a bit to prove in the bigger matches, as well as being able to be a consistent winning machine.

There is a possibility we could win our first 8 games this season - but we would still not played anyone that I expect to finish in the top 6

SingaporeG88ner

Post by SingaporeG88ner »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:04 am

Haha I like your optimism but I’m not convinced top 2 is realistic at all.

We’ve started well but we’ve not been challenged yet. Obviously Palace was a cracking result but on another day that could easily have gone differently. Fine margins and all that.

What gives me hope is how shambolic Chelsea and ManU have been so far. Long way to go though :lol:

Jesus has transformed our attack though. We’d have pissed top 4 last season with him instead of Laca so fingers crossed he stays fit!

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Might be a few of us who'd like to change our vote :lol:
Also, I see we're now odds on favs with the bookies :shock:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

i am vert confident now about a top 4 finish - far to early to predict beyond that due to 2 reasons.

1. we have a very small squad and we still havent added to that this month.
what happens when the Europa League comes back ? i dont see we have the players to go the distance if we have many injuries

2. the other teams in the top 4 are also playing very well, and I think it is just a question now of the finishing order within that top 4.

Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool will have to fight over the Europa League spots. Lovely to see :lol: :lol:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

So at the halfway stage we have 50 points , I think its safe to say we'll get 4th ( my prediction) but how many do we need to win it ?
In the second half of the season, 10 of our remaining 19 games are against the bottom half of the table, 10 of the 19 are at home.
We could afford to draw both City games and be ahead still .
Squad size is an issue but has been addressed slightly plus the emergence of Eddie Improving.
Biggest worry is still midfield and co er for Partey , if we could get someone in there even on loan dare we dream.
Im still thinking we'll finish 2nd/3rd unless we fix that issue, I can see ESR playing in Xhakas role , rumours are Arteta wants to move him centrally.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:51 pm
Might be a few of us who'd like to change our vote :lol:
Also, I see we're now odds on favs with the bookies :shock:
And the mediaScum are doing all they can to try and prevent that happening...

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

im a lot more confident after Sunday, but I think the issue still is that we are only halfway through the season due to the World Cup and not in a run in situation yet. There are a LOT of matches still to play - City might now go on a 10 match winning run, are we capable of similar ?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I still think citeh will buy, sorry oops, win the league, but that's just me being a realistic and negative bastard when it comes to football. :| :wink:

A top 4 finish has to be viewed as a step forward and I'd back Arteta for another couple years to see if he can develop the side. Anything above 4th is a huge success for me. 8)

Winning it? :shock: Contract for fucking life bro. :lol: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:46 pm
I still think citeh will buy, sorry oops, win the league, but that's just me being a realistic and negative bastard when it comes to football. :| :wink:

A top 4 finish has to be viewed as a step forward and I'd back Arteta for another couple years to see if he can develop the side. Anything above 4th is a huge success for me. 8)

Winning it? :shock: Contract for fucking life bro. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :high5:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Read the other day that In the 18/19 season, after 19 games, l'pool were top with 51 points and City were third with 44 points and they still won the league so it gives an idea of what we are up against. The media will push the narrative that if we don't win it then we bottled it but obviously nothing could be further from the truth. A 2nd place finish would be a great achievement.