ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Midz

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Midz »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:48 pm
To be honest i'm not actually that bothered we signed Jorghino, it's more the manner of the signing and for me it is starting to show them as duplicitous, every man and his dog knows we need to strengthen to see the season out and this window opened with all the rumours about £80M Mudryk which then fizzled out and we bought Trossard (whom i rate btw), then the rumours are about us strengthening our midfiled, names bandied about a few sly grins and smiles from Arteta, £70M for Caciedo..... oh wait hang on we can't have him, we'll buy Jorghino instead.

It all feels a bit sticking plaster rather than statement to me.

I am fairly sure the thinking is that we will have more money available and more options in the summer but right now is, for me anyway, when we needed the statement buys, right when the league is there for the taking.
spot on!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:47 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:38 pm
With the news that Elneny's injury is "significant' and that he is out for the remainder of the season, they needed to act quickly, hence the Jorginho deal.

Assume this is quote obg? as I know you know/agree the following;

the issue is ultimately naff all to do with elneny how the club cannot see quality partey cover is needed and has been for a year at least, is beyond me!

That's the issue most of us have I think. None of thos is a surprise yet naff all has been done.
Not verbatim PM but AFC have said Elneney has had surgery as is expected to be out for the season :?

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

To confirm. Jorginho is Elneny mark 2. He has been bought as a sub. Not expected to be a Caicedo or a Partey. He is back up.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

So in one way they've acted quickly because their hand has been forced and might have also made this signing even if the Caicedo deal had gone through? :?

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Mo’s cover and let’s not also forget that he’s not the WORST player we could’ve bought. Cech and William have been worse, even DL I’d argue.

Jorginho is a decent stay back CDM and will anchor the midfield, slow down play. Not the one you need when chasing the game or starting him to play forward-thinking ball but he’s an excellent one to close the game and keep the ball moving. Good on pens.

Has experience that we need. Good on the ball when under pressure. All marks of someone that can work under MA. If he does the job for what we are striving for, 10m is worth it.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Dont think hes a terrible player as touted on here at least he wasnt 5 years ago, but its just the experience of buying another chav outcast coming here on a free reign...on a nice cosy contract no doubt as per Willian and Cech...against both of those signings, willian in particular was a disgrace, still think jorginho is better than elnenny but of course that aint saying much

Signing that Brighton guy would have made a real statement of intent....

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

At least Jorginho is only on a 1.5 yr contract with an option of another year. That's much better than a 3 or 4 year deal on 300k a week!!

Still hoping we get someone else, we are short in midfield, if Partey goes out for 4-6 weeks, jorginho comes in and yet again, we have zero cover technically. I still think Ben White would do a better job than Jorginho though.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

I am in two minds about the signing. On the one hand, he has pedigree, he provides short-term depth and he may play a valuable role in helping us get over the line this season.

On the other hand, since the Abramovich era began we have regularly taken 30-something players from Chelsea who they were obviously content to let go. While Gallas, Cech and Willian had all been important players for them, their judgement that these players were all going past their peak was proved to be correct once they joined us. I don't look back at any of those signings with a sense that their loss was our gain. Giroud on the other hand remained a class above Lackathreat (as France realised) even though he was the older player. They seem to know what they are doing when they trade with us.

I also worry about the opportunity cost of such a signing. If Jorginho does play a few half-decent games in Partey's absence and we win the league, the club may not approach trying to sign someone of the calibre of Rice or Caceido with as much urgency. That would be a mistake: we may have a young squad, but the central midfield options are all either 30-plus (Xhaka,Jorginho and Elneny) or very nearly 30 (Partey). You only have to look at Liverpool to understand the consequences of suddenly finding you have no "legs" in the engine room.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 9 times in total.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Xhaka and Jorginho....... The slowest midfield in the premiership!! :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

No one else in. Just Soares and Lokonga possible outs.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Expecting Arsenal to trigger Mohamed Elneny's option to extend his contract by a further 12 months.

Conversations under way and injury has not had an impact on the decision, which could be announced in the next week or so.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:20 pm
Expecting Arsenal to trigger Mohamed Elneny's option to extend his contract by a further 12 months.

Conversations under way and injury has not had an impact on the decision, which could be announced in the next week or so.
That doesn't surprise me. He does seem to be a very popular player at the club and although not the most exciting or the most talented, never let's us down.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Nothing to see here. Move on.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:18 pm
I am in two minds about the signing. On the one hand, he has pedigree, he provides short-term depth and he may play a valuable role in helping us get over the line this season.

On the other hand, since the Abramovich era began we have regularly taken 30-something players from Chelsea who they were obviously content to let go. While Gallas, Cech and Willian had all been important players for them, their judgement that these players were all going past their peak was proved to be correct once they joined us. I don't look back at any of those signings with a sense that their loss was our gain. Giroud on the other hand remained a class above Lackathreat (as France realised) even though he was the older player. They seem to know what they are doing when they trade with us.

I also worry about the opportunity cost of such a signing. If Jorginho does play a few half-decent games in Partey's absence and we win the league, the club may not approach trying to sign someone of the calibre of Rice or Caceido with as much urgency. That would be a mistake: we may have a young squad, but the central midfield options are all either 30-plus (Xhaka,Jorginho and Elneny) or very nearly 30 (Partey). You only have to look at Liverpool to understand the consequences of suddenly finding you have no "legs" in the engine room.
If it works and he plays a part in securing the title, even as a bit part player coming on for 15 mins to rest Partey then it is a cheap master stroke.

If it fails and he costs vital points in games where we needed top class Partey cover then it is a massive black mark against Arteta/Edu.

We have been linked with him before, last summer I think, so Arteta has had an eye on him for a while.

I just hope he doesn’t play much, as that means Partey remains fit and healthy and is clearly performing at the top of his game right now.

As others have said with regard to Caicedo £75M + on a player with little experience is a crazy figure, I thought it was McAllister who came back from the World Cup with a winners medal and a very high profile, 24 years old, who would be the target for many clubs.