Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
A11M11

Re: Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by A11M11 »

Your absolving Tomiyasu then ?

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:47 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:15 pm
Ramsdale's "fùck up" wouldn't even register consideration compared to De Gea and Allison. :lol:

Now those two incidents were truly deserving being called fùck ups. Ramsdale's was nothing more than misjudgement.

Well Clummo, the king of recent fuck ups is, thankfully, Lloris, by an absolute mile.

However, other keepers fucking up doesn’t make me feel the slightest bit better about Ramsdale fucking up. As for a misjudgement, you can call it whatever you want, but he fucked up. He came for a ball he shouldn’t have come for, but having come, he should have punched it. An error that could have cost us the win. Let’s not forget his rushing out of the box shortly after and completely missing the ball. Had Rashford not slipped, he’d have been through.
I'm just playing devil's advocate really. My point I suppose is that all keepers make mistakes. For me a mistake by a young keeper is more down to misjudgement than anything. A mistake by an experienced keeper though really is a fuck up.

I also think a bit of begrudging credit should go to Martinez as it was a very clever header to find the net tbf.

I didn't mention Lloris because he's just a shite keeper that drops howler after howler quite regularly. :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:00 am
Your absolving Tomiyasu then ?
Whatever people think about Ramsdale and however defensive they might be about him, how can anyone point a finger at Tomiyasu over that goal? He was in his position as a defender and it was clearly where he was supposed to be. What's he supposed to do when Ramsdale comes for a ball that he can't reach? The defender has to try to head the ball, he can't stand and wait to see if the keeper is coming or not can he? Having come, Ramsdale should have punched the ball, as he was never going to be able to hold it.

I can just imagine the furore on here if Tomi hadn't bothered to jump and a united headed it straight in.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Tomi jumped and fell backwards into Ramsdale's path and baulked him . As I said at the beginning was it a problem of calling for it. No call and he's got to go for it however if Ramsdale calls for it he gets out of the way.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:56 pm
Tomi jumped and fell backwards into Ramsdale's path and baulked him . As I said at the beginning was it a problem of calling for it. No call and he's got to go for it however if Ramsdale calls for it he gets out of the way.
Well A11, a corner comes in in a split second and there's no way that a defender can react to a call. Defenders are moving and jumping as soon as the ball is kicked. To be honest, the keeper doesn't have time to make a call either and the strikers certainly aren't getting out of his way. The onus is on the defender to get his head to the ball and clear it and if his keeper comes out and catches/punches it and cleans everybody out in doing so, then great. If he comes and doesn't get it, he's responsible.

Bear in mind, he could have punched that ball even with Tomi there, but he opted to catch and dropped it.

I've not heard one ex pro pundit blame Tomi. Despite how it might appear, I don't want to be on Ramsdale's case for the sake of it, but I have genuine concerns that he makes at least one significant fuck up in almost every game and it will end up costing us. The Martinez goal was down to him and when he charged out shortly afterwards and completely missed the ball, he was very lucky that 1. he missed Rashford too and 2. that Rashford fell, otherwise he'd have been clean through on an open goal.

I genuinely hope that I'm proven wrong and that Ramsdale emerges (quickly!) to be the new Schmeichel or Buffon, but I'll criticise him as appropriate and it's pretty daft how people defend him simply because he's our keeper. You can cover dodgy players in many areas of the pitch, but you cannot begin to cover a dodgy keeper. Anyway, I'm as bored of this argument as everyone else is, so I'll not engage anymore. I'll just drop a mention in as and when he screws up...I genuinely hope he doesn't.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:fishing:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Thought Turner did alright tonight, took a few more risks than Ramsdale does. Had no chance with the goal. Still, feel Ramsdale is the number 1 of the two.

OneBardGooner

Re: Aaron Ramsdale The Best Arsenal Goalie Since Seaman.

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:25 pm
Thought Turner did alright tonight, took a few more risks than Ramsdale does. Had no chance with the goal. Still, feel Ramsdale is the number 1 of the two.
Yes, it was good to see Turner can handle himself between the sticks though :high5:
Last edited by OneBardGooner on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Cracking performance from Martinez today :lol:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:27 pm
I saw they let in 4, haven’t seen the goals, and thought someone may bring it into the conversation…..

Ramsdale was one of few today in our side who can say they performed well.

OneBardGooner

Re: Aaron Ramsdale The BEST Arsenal Goalie Since Seaman

Post by OneBardGooner »

Martinez was a Disaster in goal yesterday. and cost the villains the game.

Ramsdale made two top notch saves; in fact he was the only Arsenal player who Turned up.

augie

Post by augie »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:43 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
I saw they let in 4, haven’t seen the goals, and thought someone may bring it into the conversation…..

Ramsdale is far from a serious issue in this team, but he is a fcuking disaster on set pieces and teams know this and are crowding him now

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

augie wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:49 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:43 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Ramsdale is far from a serious issue in this team, but he is a fcuking disaster on set pieces and teams know this and are crowding him now
It looks like all teams, us included, try to interfere with a keepers ability to come and cleanly get a corner / free kick.

So much pushing and shoving and running around in circles to be in front if the keeper.

We did try a couple of short corners and the lay off to Zinchencko to hit was a good idea but it was just rising after bouncing when he struck it , else may have been on target.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Cracking performance from Martinez today

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:31 pm
Cracking performance from Martinez today
Hope he is an option to vote for player of the match on .com