Sporting H Thurs Mar 16th 2023 KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: Sporting H Thurs Mar 16th 2023 KO 8pm

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:58 pm
sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:52 pm
Before anyone starts, this is not a snide dig at Ramsdale, but when was the last time we had a keeper that saved penalties? Can't remember Leno ever saving one. For years now, a penalty for the opposition is a certain fucking goal. I knew their bloke had at least one save in him and knew we'd fucking lose.
Yes it's fvcking annoying isn't it.
Cech was useless as well.

Just had a bet you would say something along those lines.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Sooo Predictable. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuck me OBG, give it a rest. I put in the part you've highlighted to make it clear that we've been shit at saving penalties for years. If I'd wanted to be a smart arse, I'd have mentioned Martinez and his penalty saves in the Coppa America and the World Cup. I purposely didn't mention him, but others have.

Cech, Leno, Ramsdale....what is it, one penalty save between them?

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

In a parallel universe we win tonight then draw united tomorrow.

2 legs against them where we’d have to go full strength sandwiched in between a couple of vital league games which we’d undoubtedly suffer in.

Blessing in disguise mate.

Sunday absolutely massive now.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:26 pm
In a parallel universe we win tonight then draw united tomorrow.

2 legs against them where we’d have to go full strength sandwiched in between a couple of vital league games which we’d undoubtedly suffer in.

Blessing in disguise mate.

Sunday absolutely massive now.

Yep

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I dunno so much if the CL will derail City's assault on the PL Title?? Their squad depth is ridiculous, they have also done this so many times before.......

Also, they have the easier run in. But having said that, I believe the team will be really up for this now as it's all we have left. AND, it is in our hands, I think this exit will actually benefit us.

As for the "revelation" of how weak we are below the first 13 players, that's no revelation at all, we all knew that. I still think he should bring ESR back in. How in hell does Viera get to start in front of him??? PL game, 20 minutes to go, 1-1 and he brings ESR on, most of us would have renewed hope....he brings Viera on, most of us would switch off. ESR & Jesus being back gives us a slightly stronger bench, he needs to start playing ESR. Give him the final 20, get him prepped for the final stretch in case he needs to start a game.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Absolutely fucking fuming

Blessing in disguise my fucking arse

I'm glad that a club that hasn't won its domestic league in almost 20 years or a European trophy of any sort for nearly 30 years, can have such a superiority complex that they can afford to toss one in the bin

Just put 500 quid on Man Ure to win it to numb the inevitable pain when they don't bottle it and go on to a lift another European trophy. I mean the 9th placed German team, the 4th placed Portuguese team, the 13th placed Spanish team and two Italian teams not within 20 points of the leaders

My view is now that even coming 2nd on goal difference is an epic fail at this stage. You can't toss cups away with our lack of success and playing Turner and Kiwior over there and rocking up with same attitude last displayed when we played at home to Monaco a good few years ago tonight....pah. Football is about winning and glory nights....not being selective and choosing when to turn up or not

The round of 16 in this cup. Embarrassing, shameful, pick a similar word.

When we've won three PLs in the space of a few years and go deep into the CL, you can be selective whether you turn up for so called minor cups. We can't

Fail to stuff Palace out of sight and feel the shame - the worst team in the PL this calendar year. Anything less than a romp is a fail

As livid as its possible to be

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:07 pm
When Vieira plays we have 10 players, possibly 9 and a half. He is that bad he actually counts as a minus player. So it starts at 10 as he adds nothing. If his passing is off then we’d be better off with 10.
54m Euros....54m for that 9 stone wringing wet streak of piss. I remember Carlos Vela being the flicks and tricks man when you're 4 goals up and this waste of space c.unt has taken on that mantle. He was fucking pathetic again tonight - weak as piss and contributed nothing

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:36 pm

I'm glad that a club that hasn't won its domestic league in almost 20 years or a European trophy of any sort for nearly 30 years, can have such a superiority complex that they can afford to toss one in the bin

Just put 500 quid on Man Ure to win it to numb the inevitable pain when they don't bottle it and go on to a lift another European trophy. I mean the 9th placed German team, the 4th placed Portuguese team, the 13th placed Spanish team and two Italian teams not within 20 points of the leaders

My view is now that even coming 2nd on goal difference is an epic fail at this stage. You can't toss cups away with our lack of success and playing Turner and Kiwior over there and rocking up with same attitude last displayed when we played at home to Monaco a good few years ago tonight....pah. Football is about winning and glory nights....not being selective and choosing when to turn up or not

When we've won three PLs in the space of a few years and go deep into the CL, you can be selective whether you turn up for so called minor cups. We can't

Fail to stuff Palace out of sight and feel the shame - the worst team in the PL this calendar year. Anything less than a romp is a fail

Totally agree. The cognitive dissonance on here is astounding to witness. Added to the pathetic diversion tactics about City’s draw. So small time for a second I thought I had logged on to Glory Glory.

NickF98

Post by NickF98 »

Crap night. Play 120 minutes, lose on penalties and a number of players injured. Couldn't be much worse...

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:43 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Totally agree. The cognitive dissonance on here is astounding to witness. Added to the pathetic diversion tactics about City’s draw. So small time for a second I thought I had logged on to Glory Glory.
We haven't got the resources to compete on two fronts is my favourite comment!!

The Carabao Cup of Europe and we've spent what in the past 2-3 years? 300m or so?

And yet we can't manage to pull together a side capable of beating the Brighton of Portugal over 2 games? We had several hundred million of players out there for the majority of that game

The fans (quiet as fuck tonight), the manager and players have all taken the arrogant as fuck gamble that this competition doesn't matter so let's hope they are right because missing out by a single goal on the title is now a massive failure in the context of that surrender tonight

Do our fans genuinely not care that we are like the Spurs of Europe? Olympiacos and Sporting at home FFS - two teams that couldn't buy an away win in Europe and they've come and turned us over......absolutely shameful.

NickF98

Post by NickF98 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 pm
If I'd wanted to be a smart arse, I'd have mentioned Martinez and his penalty saves in the Coppa America and the World Cup. I purposely didn't mention him, but others have.
And yet the ball bounced off his head to give us a goal the other weeks. Penalties are most down to luck and he got it during the world Cup. Don't begrudge him that though his mocking of opposition players was poor IMO.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

That performance was absolutely shameful. Until Partey and then Odegaard came on we were hanging on for dear life. Our midfield was wider than the Grand Canyon. Not one player could claim they were worthy of the shirt tonight. Seriously concerning to be honest. The fact our fans are almost condoning it is shameful. Like peak Spurs. What’s next? Losing the League (when we do, trust me) is a blessing as we weren’t ready for it. Mad place this is.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

NickF98 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:53 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 pm
If I'd wanted to be a smart arse, I'd have mentioned Martinez and his penalty saves in the Coppa America and the World Cup. I purposely didn't mention him, but others have.
And yet the ball bounced off his head to give us a goal the other weeks. Penalties are most down to luck and he got it during the world Cup. Don't begrudge him that though his mocking of opposition players was poor IMO.

So the ball hitting the bar, then hitting him on the back of the head and going in is a reflection of his ability? :lol:

As for penalty saving being down to luck, if that's all it was, then the stats for keepers saving them would be very similar. Unfortunately, we've had years of keepers who must have rotten luck, because we never save them.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:49 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:43 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

We haven't got the resources to compete on two fronts is my favourite comment!!

The Carabao Cup of Europe and we've spent what in the past 2-3 years? 300m or so?

And yet we can't manage to pull together a side capable of beating the Brighton of Portugal over 2 games? We had several hundred million of players out there for the majority of that game

The fans (quiet as fuck tonight), the manager and players have all taken the arrogant as fuck gamble that this competition doesn't matter so let's hope they are right because missing out by a single goal on the title is now a massive failure in the context of that surrender tonight

Do our fans genuinely not care that we are like the Spurs of Europe? Olympiacos and Sporting at home FFS - two teams that couldn't buy an away win in Europe and they've come and turned us over......absolutely shameful.
Spurs of Europe?

I don’t remember when Spurs were 5 points clear at the top of the PL going into April.
Yes it’s a bad result tonight, but by this time next week it will be forgotten - we won’t even be in the Europa League next season.

All focus on the league now like 89.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

5 points with City away. I reckon winning the Europa was more straight forward than winning the league. Palace will be salivating at the prospect of us on Sunday.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

We went out on penalties, no disgrace in that, we put a more than decent team out but it wasn't our night, their goalie had a worldie & their equaliser was a freak shot, Seaman / Nyiem style., Ref was worst corrupt *word censored* I ever saw, has form from world cup 11 bookings & 1 sending off one match, must have been given a Boris bung. :box: :cussing: We gave the competition respect, I can't believe the "throw it" comments FFS! :banghead:

Onwards & upwards, we need to blitz Palace from the start, we owe these lot big time in recent home games. 11 games to go, we know the task & so do our team & manager. :barscarf:

Support was patchy, maybe a few regulars gave it a miss, but no excuses from now on in, we have already been waiting too long for this so come on the Arsenal! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: