Under 18’s

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BobbyPires7

Re: Under 18’s

Post by BobbyPires7 »

1-4

Totally dominant in possession. Can’t defend for toffee.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

What a good game. Shame about the unjust 1-5 scoreline.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Not how you want to manage a final. Lessons to be learned. Will hopefully hold them in good stead.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Went to the game tonight and couldn’t believe the size of the crowd. The Hammers supporters totally filled the away end lower tier, like a first team FA Cup tie.

The 1-5 reverse was rather harsh, but you can’t lose 1-5 and be unlucky. It was similar to watching the first team play. For 15 minutes we absolutely dominated the ball, zipping it around to feet and West Ham chasing shadows and looking worried. We’d scored after about 5 mins and all the signs were good, with WH dropping deep and only hitting long balls. However, they then scored after about 20 mins, with their first real effort and the game turned on its head instantly.

They immediately grew in confidence and we visibly shrank. They got their second only a couple of mins later and suddenly they were playing further up the park and our rhythm and neat football disappeared. We managed to finish work ourselves back into the game and then one of our centre backs miscontrolled the call, allowing their striker to finish reakkyvwell from about 35 yds.

Second half, we huffed and puffed, but created very little and I can only remember their keeper making one serious save. They controlled us easily and then added two goals late on.

As I said, it was like so many first team performances we’ve seen over the years. An initial swagger when it’s all going out way and then folding like a dodgy deckchair when a few questions are asked. There is a worrying thread running through the club.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

What was the attendance last night?

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Very disappointing result, once WHU got a goal, they started to dominated the midfield & overran our lads. Plenty of promising runs that ended up in cul-de-sacs by our forwards, WHU players were just more convincing & solid, took control of the game whilst we often showboated. :roll:

I'd say the scoreline wasn't far off right, many of our players really showed severe lack of leadership qualities which was very disappointing, it's like a malaise ruining through the club is certainly right by Retro above.

I'd go as far as to say the torrid influence to Lord Wonga still drifts around the stadium. That's how bad it was, feck knows how they beat Oil Cheaty & Headchoppers in earlier rounds. :rubchin: :censored: :cussing:

Still the development of the youngsters is all that matters & their future careers. :barscarf:
Last edited by Almunia is a clown on Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:31 am
What was the attendance last night?
About 35K, Spammers had 7Kish, plus an attachment from the Special Patrol Group / Robocops! :box:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

That West Ham youth squad have won 28 of their 31 games this season apparently, usually scoring 3 goals per match at least. They're considered by far the best atm.

Our boys put in a good performance on the whole I'd say.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:40 am
Very disappointing result, once WHU got a goal, they started to dominated the midfield & overran our lads. Plenty of promising runs that ended up in cul-de-sacs by our forwards, WHU players were just more convincing & solid, took control of the game whilst we often showboated. :roll:

I'd say the scoreline wasn't far off right, many of our players really showed severe lack of leadership qualities which was very disappointing, it's like a malaise ruining through the club is certainly right by Retro above.

I'd go as far as to say the torrid influence to Lord Wonga still drifts around the stadium. That's how bad it was, feck knows how they beat Oil Cheaty & Headchoppers in earlier rounds. :rubchin: :censored: :cussing:

Still the development of the youngsters is all that matters & their future careers. :barscarf:

An accurate summing up Almunia and as you say, it's hard to shake the feeling that the toxic shadow of the Old Fraud still hangs over the club.

I don't want to be too harsh on the youngsters, but after a very bright start, they really did fold when West Ham began to assert themselves and could never get their rhythm and composure back. The West Ham youngsters were a stronger, more assured unit and their first and third goals were cracking finishes.

The 3rd goal just before half time killed us and the Hammers totally controlled the second half and never looked in any trouble. It was a shame and 1-5 isn't a particularly fair reflection, but the better team definitely won.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:10 am
That West Ham youth squad have won 28 of their 31 games this season apparently, usually scoring 3 goals per match at least. They're considered by far the best atm.

Our boys put in a good performance on the whole I'd say.

I knew nothing about the West Ham team, but when I saw that they'd beaten Southampton 6-1 in the semi final, I thought our lads might be in trouble. The Saints have an excellent youth policy and bring some very good youngsters through, so beating them 6-1 was quite an indicator. Conversely, we struggled to a last minute of extra time winner against a City team that played with 10 men from the 6th minute.

Don't want to be harsh, but the performance was good for 15 minutes and pretty ragged after that imo. Still two or three players that stood out, so good news there.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Other than the obviously disappointing result; which for me didn't reflect the way the teams played, it was heartening to see we have some very good young players in the making.

Also the old adage " We can learn more from our failures than our successes" I hope that is true for this talented team of U18's !

Also thought some of the shammer players whilst obviously some had real potential also had a good knowledge of the Dark Arts already... Something we need to look at - Get in Martin Keown and TA4 - They'll soon get them up to scratch! :barscarf:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Lewis-Skelly signed a professional contract…announced today

Nwaneri expected to follow when he is old enough 😂

These 2 really could be the real deal in a couple of years time :barscarf: :barscarf:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

https://youtu.be/dZkY3gpvFCo?si=za-inUnagbDWf4af

Video footage of the 15 year old ( who is 6’2 apparently) scoring 10 goals v Liverpool

Chido Obi-Martin

The force is strong in him

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:04 pm
https://youtu.be/dZkY3gpvFCo?si=za-inUnagbDWf4af

Video footage of the 15 year old ( who is 6’2 apparently) scoring 10 goals v Liverpool

Chido Obi-Martin

The force is strong in him

:lol:

Well he IS related to Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Holy Wotsit... All joking aside he really does look "Good"... Only 15yrs old FFS!!! Early days I know but who knows perhaps another Anelka or TH14 in the making!?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

15 years old and already significantly better than Eddie, can he play next weekend against Brentford? :barscarf: :barscarf: