Brighton BE H Sun 14th May KO 430pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Brighton BE H Sun 14th May KO 430pm

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:50 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:07 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:56 am
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:51 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:23 pm

Stop showing off. :lol: :wink:

Time to get the bat out and the pads on (no, not the incontinence pads!) and forget about football for a while.
:lol:

Yes mate had our first league game Saturday, fielding first got them out for 116, I bat at four but didn't even get in lol.

Got a twenty twenty game tonight and opening so getting ready for swish of the bat, let's hope I don't fuck it up like Arsenal have.

Played a twenty over game last week for the household cavalry, talking to a guy from Bradford, fuckin spud supporter, he dropped a dolly in the game but couldn't be arsed to say typical spuds, can't hold on to anything as it would have been too ironic :roll: :lol:
What language are you speaking :lol:

Just noticed this.

Sorry Mc, I'll have a word with Lefty and we can have a chat about hurling, or Gaelic football, just to keep you chaps in Hibernia happy. :barscarf:
Reminds me of a brilliant one liner from Phill Jupitus on QI. Responding to a mention of Samuel Beckett playing cricket in Oireland he put on a Huzzah posh outraged Brigadier accent and said "the Mick doesn't play cricket, Stephen!". :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Brighton BE H Sun 14th May KO 430pm

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:51 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:00 pm
Tue May 16, 2023 9:25 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:12 pm
Tue May 16, 2023 3:19 pm

Yes the wicket and outfield are nice this time of year although might take a couple of weeks before the outfield speeds up a bit, it's been very damp of late and although the wickets are covered they could do with a bit more bounce.

I'm not ex military but a lot of my family were and our team has a lot of military in it, some ex, some still in and one of them was asked by the household cavalry team if we had some players that would like to play because they have a few away on exercise.

Got them to their highest total in the three seasons they've been playing but they weren't very good bowlers so we still lost with 155 on the board :x :lol:
You needed me bowling for you. Medium fast seamer....well, that's what I reckoned but nobody else did. :D

I remember that I had a spell of going in the nets one night a week with a couple of pretty good cricketers. One of them used to ask me how i got the ball to move off the seam and I used to come out with with some old crap. In truth, I didn't have a clue why it was happening, it was just moving after it pitched, but I didn't tell them that. :lol: :lol:

It would have been in your action and the way you held the seam which sounds you were natural at it.

The bowling was so bad I had a couple of overs and I haven't bowled in years in a game :lol:

I got hit for a four and a six in my second over but did bowl him top of off stump the next ball the prick :lol:

I also had a dolly dropped off of another delivery but I swear I've never seen so many shit fielders in one game, useless :lol:

:lol: :lol:
It's making wish I'd played more, but I found out the hard way that it can be a little embarrassing to play with people that were proper cricketers and you weren't at that level. I could bowl a bit and was good in the field, though I say so myself, but soon found out that a natural eye with a ball or a bat / racket and ball, was not enough to get by in cricket. You need a proper technique and I always tended to do what all untrained batsmen do and played off the back foot. I didn't manage the old foot to the pitch of the ball bit.

With the bowling, I did used to try to position the seam, but I still didn't know which way it would move. Most would move to the off side, but every now and then one would cut back to the on side and they could be fuckers for the batsman. I always wished I could actually control which way they'd go, because that one cutting back was nasty.

I once faced an over in the nets off of Neil Foster, who you'll probably remember. Medium fast for Essex and England. He was off about four paces and I still couldn't see the fucking ball :lol: . His arm would come over and then what seemed like a split second afterwards, there was a blur as the ball pitched. I think I got the bat on the ball about 3 times (fuck knows how), another whistled past me and the stumps and I think he bowled me twice. This was about 30 years ago. Broke my little finger diving to take a catch that day too.
Lads, stop ffs! We'll end up with someone claiming they live in the same village as all the Ingerland cricketers! :lol: :wink: :wink:
:lol: :barscarf:

I could hit a cricket ball from my garden to half the England's team gardens, they keep complaining about it too, oy Rootie son chuck that ball back fella :lol: