other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:22 pm
Absolutely fuck all chance of anything coming of it SteveO, I suppose the angle I’m coming at is why it’s not even being mentioned.

It’s bizarre. Can you imagine that scenario occurring in any other sport in the world? Serious accusations and over a hundred charges of cheating/misconduct are made against a competitor and then just few months later they go on to obliterate the field but nobody bats a fucking eyelid.

There would be an outcry in every other sport other than ours.

And maybe it’s the victim complex in me but why do I think if it was us facing all those charges while we hoovered up all the trophies and payed players a million quid a week from some gulf nation’s state coffers all the talk would be of black clouds, question marks and asterisks over our achievements.
I think you've answered your own question before mate - its not in Sky or BT's interests to call out anything that challenges their own model. The more foreign owners, the bigger the budgets, the more they get paid for their product. They're all in it together. I haven't been to a PL match that I've paid for in as long as I can remember - just kills itself a bit more every year. I've resigned myself to the fact that Newcastle and City will become the dominant forces in English football, despite both being jokes of clubs for decades with barely a trophy between them. It could just as well happen to us one day, just as it could the Scum, the Shammers or anyone else that a foreign owner decides to pimp up in one of the big cities. The romance has well and truly gone - even the Leicester miracle was at the hands of a rich Thai businessman who bought it out of administration (flooring dozens of local businesses in the process) and when his money dried up, 7 years later they got relegated. Blackburn were the 90s equivalent and look at them now.

If you've got money, you've got a chance. If you don't, you haven't. Of course there are examples like the Chavs who can show you how to blow a billion by appointing a chump like Fat Fwank, but basically if you've got the money and get yourself one of the elite managers, you're pretty much guaranteed success

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Yeah fuck sky and bt they’re only interested in lining their own pockets, I’d expect fuck all from either of those 2 c.unts but that game yesterday was also on both the bbc and itv and there wasn’t a mention from either about the charges so I don’t think it can solely be put down to self preservation and greed from the media companies.

It’s was the same when Lance Armstrong was dominating the Tour De France, he was a money making machine for the sport, an absolute cash cow and a certain cohort both inside and outside cycling (I’m looking at you Nike) wanted that to continue and didn’t dare question his integrity and were openly hostile to those that did.

Unlike with city thought there were certain sections of the media who kept chasing the story, who kept expressing doubts about his integrity, who continued to accuse him of cheating and who eventually brought the fucker down.

All we get here is people blowing smoke up Pep’s hole, declaring city the greatest team the league has ever seen and fawning over their every accomplishment.

Fucking sad c.unts the lot of em.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Didn’t watch hardly any of the match yesterday as I was at Epsom for Derby Day and enjoyed the sunshine as well as some actual competitive sport.

The screens were showing the match in the bars but there was far less interest in it than you would expect for the Cup final - just a resigned shrug really from most people. You do wonder what impact City’s dominance is going to have on the interest in the PL.
5 years out of 6 they have now won it and I know they will win it next season already - big yawn…

Anyway just found out that Arsenal will now be in the Community Shield so Wembley here we come :barscarf: :barscarf:
:) :)

NickF

Post by NickF »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:51 pm
Unlike with city thought there were certain sections of the media who kept chasing the story, who kept expressing doubts about his integrity, who continued to accuse him of cheating and who eventually brought the fucker down.
Think the difference is everyone knows how city have gone from nothing to 5 titles in 6 years and they aren't really hiding how they did it.

Nothing will happen about the FFP and even if it did, the record books will still show their titles, so they've achieved their aim.

When you see the usual media faces whoring themselves for Qatari money last winter, it is no wonder the don't criticise City

Midz

Post by Midz »

C'mon Inter Milan.

Very unlikely but you can hope.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Midz wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:49 pm
C'mon Inter Milan.

I want City to win - so the whole world can see how corrupt they are.
I want them to become the most hated team in the world - and if people start switching off…then something will be done.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:05 pm
Midz wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:49 pm
C'mon Inter Milan.

I want City to win - so the whole world can see how corrupt they are.
I want them to become the most hated team in the world - and if people start switching off…then something will be done.
Utd or Chelsea already have that title. :D

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

NickF wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:02 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:51 pm
Think the difference is everyone knows how city have gone from nothing to 5 titles in 6 years and they aren't really hiding how they did it.

Nothing will happen about the FFP and even if it did, the record books will still show their titles, so they've achieved their aim.

When you see the usual media faces whoring themselves for Qatari money last winter, it is no wonder the don't criticise City
Absolutely. I remember a certain rat faced manc c.unt who spent the 2 years in the build up to the World Cup criticising FIFA and Qatar pretending to give a fuck about migrant rights and then the very minute it started fucked off to work for Qatari state tv and trousered all the money :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Much as I want Inter Milan to pull off a shock this coming weekend, the sooner City get this nauseating treble out of the way the better. My lad told me that Celtic had just won their fifth treble in something like eight years over the weekend - won't be long until our boring league goes the same way

I'm sure BT and Sky will be loving every second of the fairytale though

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:18 am
Much as I want Inter Milan to pull off a shock this coming weekend, the sooner City get this nauseating treble out of the way the better. My lad told me that Celtic had just won their fifth treble in something like eight years over the weekend - won't be long until our boring league goes the same way

Yep Celtic, Bayern, PSG and city all dominating their leagues, absolute edge of the seat stuff. Before a ball is kicked next season you can take it to the bank that all 4 will win it again, yawn.

I read the other day that for the majority of football fans there’s complete indifference towards city’s success….once that indifference turns towards the sport itself and people lose interest in watching a battle of the sheikhs the game is in big big trouble.

Is the PL bubble about to burst?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:44 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Yep Celtic, Bayern, PSG and city all dominating their leagues, absolute edge of the seat stuff. Before a ball is kicked next season you can take it to the bank that all 4 will win it again, yawn.

I read the other day that for the majority of football fans there’s complete indifference towards city’s success….once that indifference turns towards the sport itself and people lose interest in watching a battle of the sheikhs the game is in big big trouble.

Less that the bubble will burst and more that the fan base would have just completely transformed. Soon all PL games will be like that miserable day in Baku in 2019 - international fans paying for the "match day experience" without a clue who they are cheering for in a city they have no affinity for. Look at the average City fan in the ground these days

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I thought a couple of years ago the bubble might burst on mega tv rights deals, but since amazon have joined the circus since, if anything the price will be going much higher - nothing will implode until tv deals start going down

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

augie wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:22 pm
rodders999 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I thought a couple of years ago the bubble might burst on mega tv rights deals, but since amazon have joined the circus since, if anything the price will be going much higher - nothing will implode until tv deals start going down
Amazon or Netflix or Apple or whoever else will, before long, blow Sky out of the water with a TV deal that will change the way people access football. Perhaps not in terms of money but in terms of access. Sky are like ITV in the late 80s, doing a decent job but nothing spectacular. They have killed themselves to afford the last TV deal and their coverage of other sports has suffered to an extent where people aren't bothering to renew subscriptions. That's affecting their ability to keep paying the big money for the Premier League rights.
The other broadcasters know this and are waiting for their business model to be right to launch their fatal blows. Once Sky are finished, the model changes as their desperate willingness to pay whatever money just to hold on to their prize asset will no longer inflate the market. Nothing is worth £10m a game or whatver they're paying under this deal. It's stupid and other companies know it. The clubs know that they can make more money out of single contracts rather than a collective agreement and soon it will happen. Once upon a time people watched whatever football was on the TV, these days, we want to watch our own teams and don't give a fuck about other clubs. The moment we can buy a subscription to our own clubs, the moment the money rolls in at a lesser output for a single broadcaster. The days of Sky hyping up Charlton v Southampton or Norwich v Coventry as some sort of 'moment' event are gone. Nobody cares. We'll pay to see our own clubs and pay more rather than a flat fee to see shit we don't care about.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Did that *word censored* on BT Sport really just say "it's up for grabs now" as that spammer *word censored* ran through on goal?

Fucking wanker :twisted:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

On the brink of European glory, their wait for a major trophy is over.

What’s this fucking geezer on, this is the zenith data systems, rumbelows cup of Europe.

A made up competition for teams that finished 7th in their leagues FFS.