ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by mcdowell42 »

William Saliba Will Wear Number 2 Next Season👊

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

augie wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:48 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:34 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:24 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:16 am
🚨 EXCL: Arsenal have reached agreement with William Saliba over new 4yr contract. 22yo had 12mnths on existing deal but fresh terms will tie him down until at least 2027, amid strong interest from PL + abroad. Now on to paperwork stage @TheAthleticFC #AFC
Buzzing over this huge news going into the transfer window.
Give us Rice and Caicedo on top of Saka, Gabriel, Martinelli, Ramsdale, Odegaard (in all probability) signing new deals and this team is set for the next 5 years, with only tweaks required.

Assuming Xhaka goes

Stage 4 of the project ☑️

Next, the hardest bit, global domination. 🌎 🏆🔴⚪️🔴⚪️🔴⚪️

Seriously ?? Set for what exactly ?? You think centre midfield is only reason we didnt win the league ? Where is the goalscorer we need to win the big trophies ? Our startinhg 11, even if you put rice and caciedo in for swiss turd and partey, is still nowhere near good enough to win the big trophies
Set as in No major surgery required.

You have no faith that improving the team / squad that came 2nd will keep us above Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle and the scum ?

City is the huge issue, as they are years ahead and we have a mental block against them till we win.

One out and out goalscorer does not necessarily win you the league ( or anything for that matter as per Harry Kane)
Scoring goals was not our issue last season - it was conceding them and in silly moments in games that we should have been comfortably winning / seeing out.

I am excited for the forthcoming season, if it matches last season, the highs were great, and by and large I loved watching our team play, with the odd exception. I am sorry if you are not.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:52 pm
augie wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
🚨 EXCL: Arsenal have reached agreement with William Saliba over new 4yr contract. 22yo had 12mnths on existing deal but fresh terms will tie him down until at least 2027, amid strong interest from PL + abroad. Now on to paperwork stage @TheAthleticFC #AFC
Give us Rice and Caicedo on top of Saka, Gabriel, Martinelli, Ramsdale, Odegaard (in all probability) signing new deals and this team is set for the next 5 years, with only tweaks required.

Assuming Xhaka goes

Seriously ?? Set for what exactly ?? You think centre midfield is only reason we didnt win the league ? Where is the goalscorer we need to win the big trophies ? Our startinhg 11, even if you put rice and caciedo in for swiss turd and partey, is still nowhere near good enough to win the big trophies

You have no faith that improving the team / squad that came 2nd will keep us above Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle and the scum ?

City is the huge issue, as they are years ahead and we have a mental block against them till we win.

One out and out goalscorer does not necessarily win you the league ( or anything for that matter as per Harry Kane)
Scoring goals was not our issue last season - it was conceding them and in silly moments in games that we should have been comfortably winning / seeing out.

I am excited for the forthcoming season, if it matches last season, the highs were great, and by and large I loved watching our team play, with the odd exception. I am sorry if you are not.
Totally agree, still gutted about finishing 2nd but all we can do is keep our decent players on long-term contracts and add the strength in depth that we need to get anywhere near City. We now have several players whose value is in the £100m or more bracket.

The position Arsenal are in today, is light years ahead of where we were when Wenger left. I am optimistic, that doesn't mean we will win the league but at least we are competitive again.

augie

Post by augie »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
augie wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Assuming Xhaka goes

You are trying to twist and backpeddle your way out of this but it wont work - your original statement said that we would be set and that only minor tweaks would be needed, and then when I point out that this team is not at a winning level you try to deflect by talking about being excited to watch them as if that is same thing :roll:
Let me say for starters that all of those teams to which you refer will be strengthening their team this summer, and some will have strengthened their managers/coaches too - on paper right now I would say that we are considerably better than a few of thos might e teams for sure, but 2 signings will not be enough to ensure it stays that way. The victims had a down season last years, but only a fool wouldnt expect a big bounce back from them this coming season cos they def have plenty of quality even now.
I agree that a proven goalscorer is no guarantee of success, but it certainly helps - I find it ironic that it looks odds on that citeeh will win their first champs league tonight with what I would class to be their weakest starting 11 in recent years, and the reason for that is that they have a world class striker. Some might disagree with that assesment, but their defence is nowhere near the level it was, and peak david silva and fernandino would piss into tonights team.

Likewise I look at our starting 11 and I see too many players who wouldnt get into our starting team in years gone by - Would our current full backs get in ahead of dicko, ralph, nutty or the cashly c.unt ? Would rice or caciedo be on a level with petit much less PV4 ? I could name 6 strikers off the top of my head from last 30 years better than our current options, and our 3rd choice centre back from GG/wenger teams would start in this team for sure. Rome wasnt built in a day and there is no doubt we are in a better place than we were when le fraud finally fcuked off, but whilst everything cant get fixed overnight, there does need to be a recognition that we do need to improve our starting 11, and being better than we were does not make us good enough now. There will always be positions to improve in every team, and to continue to improve we need to upgrade otherwise we will be left behind regardless of how excited you are

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:05 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
augie wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Assuming Xhaka goes

Totally agree, still gutted about finishing 2nd but all we can do is keep our decent players on long-term contracts and add the strength in depth that we need to get anywhere near City. We now have several players whose value is in the £100m or more bracket.

The position Arsenal are in today, is light years ahead of where we were when Wenger left. I am optimistic, that doesn't mean we will win the league but at least we are competitive again.

Name them. Please

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:17 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:05 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
augie wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:

Assuming Xhaka goes

Name them. Please
Look it up, it's on the CIES site. I am not doing the legwork to induce a moan.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

augie wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:16 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
augie wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Assuming Xhaka goes

You are trying to twist and backpeddle your way out of this but it wont work - your original statement said that we would be set and that only minor tweaks would be needed, and then when I point out that this team is not at a winning level you try to deflect by talking about being excited to watch them as if that is same thing :roll:
Let me say for starters that all of those teams to which you refer will be strengthening their team this summer, and some will have strengthened their managers/coaches too - on paper right now I would say that we are considerably better than a few of thos might e teams for sure, but 2 signings will not be enough to ensure it stays that way. The victims had a down season last years, but only a fool wouldnt expect a big bounce back from them this coming season cos they def have plenty of quality even now.
I agree that a proven goalscorer is no guarantee of success, but it certainly helps - I find it ironic that it looks odds on that citeeh will win their first champs league tonight with what I would class to be their weakest starting 11 in recent years, and the reason for that is that they have a world class striker. Some might disagree with that assesment, but their defence is nowhere near the level it was, and peak david silva and fernandino would piss into tonights team.

Likewise I look at our starting 11 and I see too many players who wouldnt get into our starting team in years gone by - Would our current full backs get in ahead of dicko, ralph, nutty or the cashly c.unt ? Would rice or caciedo be on a level with petit much less PV4 ? I could name 6 strikers off the top of my head from last 30 years better than our current options, and our 3rd choice centre back from GG/wenger teams would start in this team for sure. Rome wasnt built in a day and there is no doubt we are in a better place than we were when le fraud finally fcuked off, but whilst everything cant get fixed overnight, there does need to be a recognition that we do need to improve our starting 11, and being better than we were does not make us good enough now. There will always be positions to improve in every team, and to continue to improve we need to upgrade otherwise we will be left behind regardless of how excited you are
Ha ha

No backpedaling, I was attempting to explain it for you 😂
Set as in top, young, key players signed up for the foreseeable future on 4 / 5 year deals, happy to commit their future cos they beleive.

We have a keeper young enough to be our no 1 for the next 10 years
We have Saliba and Gabriel with White and Kiwor as centre back options - full backs a concern but the transfer window is not even open yet, how about giving them a chance ?

Rice, Caciedo and Odegaard in midfield ( assuming we buy them ) maybe Partey still or Jorginho.

Saka, Martinelli, Trossard, Jesus up top

All those teams will be strengthening - probably, but Chelsea strengthened massively didn’t they ?
Will they all overcome a 20 point deficit to us, given that we will strengthen and improve too ?

No one was on a level with Patrick Vieira - Caicedo looks like he would easily eclipse Petit if he continues his development - If you can’t see that there is no helping you.

You came across as a spoilt brat at times, if you didn’t enjoy watching us play last season, you must be a glory hunter.

Only 1 team can win the league, why do fans of all the teams that have no chance of winning the league turn up to watch ?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Tielemans off to Aston Villa on a free

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:37 pm
His attitude in Leicester's free fall was nothing short of abysmal

Exactly the type of player I wouldn't want so glad we aren't in for him. Another bottlejob coward when the chips are down - got enough of those thanks!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:43 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:37 pm
His attitude in Leicester's free fall was nothing short of abysmal

Exactly the type of player I wouldn't want so glad we aren't in for him. Another bottlejob coward when the chips are down - got enough of those thanks!
I watched a fair few Leicester games since January and kept a close eye on him considering we’d been linked with him last summer.

Must say I was shitting myself that we’d take him, especially as he’s on a free, because he was absolute dog shit in every game. Thank fuck he’s ended up at Villa, we’ll suited to those complete CUUUNTS.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Have to hold my hands up and apologise because I thought there was fuck all hope that Saliba would sign on, I was certain he’d just rather be in France so would fuck off back to PSG.

Kudos to the club, Edu and Arteta but especially the fans who’ve shown him serious man love all season for getting this one done.

Whatever else happens this window that’s the signing of the summer for us right there.

On the Rodders scale of approval this one gets a trousers down (maximum rating).

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Not sure any of it matters anymore

We might as well get an oil rich corrupt c.unt and spend 3 billion on players because there aren't any rules

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:46 pm
Have to hold my hands up and apologise because I thought there was fuck all hope that Saliba would sign on, I was certain he’d just rather be in France so would fuck off back to PSG.

Kudos to the club, Edu and Arteta but especially the fans who’ve shown him serious man love all season for getting this one done.

Whatever else happens this window that’s the signing of the summer for us right there.

On the Rodders scale of approval this one gets a trousers down (maximum rating).
The bloke who cuts my hair is a Marseille supporter and he kept saying when he was on loan there that he was one of the best defenders the French have ever seen. I had the barnet done the other day and we got chatting about him and he said that Marseille offered him anything and everything to get him to stay but he kept knocking it back , saying that he was an Arsenal player.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:46 pm

Agreed 100%. Add in the orgasmic joy of finally clearing the syphilis ridden rectal blockage that is Lobotomy Clive and that's two massive pieces of work done already.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

No one is going to convince me that "English Tommy" Rice** is worth anything north of 40million or that he is a top midfielder, but I am fully prepared to give the lad a chance to show what he can do. If, like me, you actually know anything about football, and you agree with my assessment, then do what I will do until he proves me right or completely wrong and get behind the lad by telling yourself he is ten million times the player that Lobotomy Clive is.

**he lost the right to use the proud Oirish name "Declan" when he did a reverse Cascarino and decided he was now Ingerlish. :lol: :wink: