THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

gooner265 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:24 am
Surely there should be a Chapman Statue , he made the club what it is today , is the bust still around ?

Agree George should have one to , just a bust for Wenger as half his tenure was shit so only half a statue ......
There is a Herbert Chapman statue.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:34 am
gooner265 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:24 am
Surely there should be a Chapman Statue , he made the club what it is today , is the bust still around ?

Agree George should have one to , just a bust for Wenger as half his tenure was shit so only half a statue ......
There is a Herbert Chapman statue.
You are correct ,my bad :lol:

TheBigBean

Post by TheBigBean »

I'm guessing this won't be popular, but I'd have liked a plaque to go on the wall somewhere in honour of Wenger (copied from Sir Christopher Wren's)

"If you are looking for a monument to Wenger, look around you"

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Would that include when the Fans were Fighting One Another in the Ground and when there were Protests to get him sacked?

TheBigBean

Post by TheBigBean »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:28 am
Would that include when the Fans were Fighting One Another in the Ground and when there were Protests to get him sacked?
I think all that stuff has been discussed to death.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

But it is "Relevant" To his Stories Arsenal Manager.

I just wish he had Stepped Away after his first 10 years - He gave me some of the Best Times Ever as a Gooner (Been a fan since 1967).... But like so many Brilliant exponents of their particular art/subject etc whatever - He stayed on too long and ended up almost destroying what he achieved and built. Very VERY Sad.

TheBigBean

Post by TheBigBean »

I don't think Arsenal would be the club it is today if Wenger had left 10 years earlier. I know many people disagree - or argue the club would be much better off.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

On what do you base that?

I mean seeing as it was in a Total Mess and Crash Dive when Emery took over as manager.

TheBigBean

Post by TheBigBean »

The first four years after Wenger left were pretty bleak. Wenger's most obvious contribution in that period was a club in a sufficiently strong position financially that could it buy expensive players. The players also got to play on a beautiful pitch in a very nice stadium. Saka and ESR came through the reserves as well.

But I get it, a friend of mine blames Wenger for everything including the team that was left behind. He probably manages to blame him for the money spent on Pepe too.

Whereas I'm not convinced Arsenal will do that well next season despite spending a fortune and getting lots of points last season.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

We cannot blame Wenger for Everything; though as you say some do (*).

But I do believe Arteta has turned a rudderless ship around and we are now heading in the right direction, it will take time but I think he has the ability and vision to do it....and it would also seem that the Krankies are willing to back him financially..... Time Will Tell.

(*) The same kind of mentality that some on here are already adopting and blaming Arteta for anything and everything. :?

TheBigBean

Post by TheBigBean »

Arteta is undoubtedly an improvement on Emery. I don't imagine he will last that long though.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

TheBigBean wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:56 pm
Arteta is undoubtedly an improvement on Emery. I don't imagine he will last that long though.

As long as Arteta keeps us in the top 4, he’s going nowhere. Mind you, that might be quite a challenge this season. Unusually there’s likely to be 6 decent sides chasing it (City nailed of course) and it could be a real dog fight.

Three from five (us, Utd, Chavs, Geordies, Scousers) is very hard to call and I expect Villa to make a nuisance of themselves even if they’re not in the final mix.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

"I miss Arsenal because I left my heart in there... I gave my life to this club for 22 years. Every minute of my life was dedicated to this club... I support Arsenal. It will be forever my club." - Arsène Wenger

Every minute of his life………. :roll: :roll: :censored:

Apart from when he was shagging his bit of fluff on the side ?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Fucking martyr! He was happy to be a dictator. Happy to take over 11m a year before bonuses, happy to admit he didn't spend Arsenals money because he treated it like his own.... Happy to sit in on strategic finance meetings in direct conflict to his managerial post (he should have been going to the board asking for money to get players but instead he told them he could save them money on super qualitee players like Sanogo, Stepanovs, Squillaci or whatever his name was.
Grrrrrrr even thinking about that wanker Wenger boils my bollocks. Grade A c.unt. Fuck off.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TeeCee wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:24 pm
Fucking martyr! He was happy to be a dictator. Happy to take over 11m a year before bonuses, happy to admit he didn't spend Arsenals money because he treated it like his own.... Happy to sit in on strategic finance meetings in direct conflict to his managerial post (he should have been going to the board asking for money to get players but instead he told them he could save them money on super qualitee players like Sanogo, Stepanovs, Squillaci or whatever his name was.
Grrrrrrr even thinking about that wanker Wenger boils my bollocks. Grade A c.unt. Fuck off.
I'm confused TeeCee. Do you like him or not? :rubchin:

:D :wink: