Injuries

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: Injuries

Post by Redarmy »

Agreed :barscarf:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:25 pm
Yup! Rice was awesome last night,he was everywhere. He reads the game well, cuts out passes besides making them, I only recall one mistake last night. He has made a HUGE difference to our midfield and is like the missing link between our defence and our attack.

Agreed. I was one who was vocal about the amount we paid (and still think it was extortionate), but he makes a difference in that midfield and is exactly what we haven't had for years on end. I wanted Partey sold in the summer and replaced, which we could have done if we hadn't blown 65m on Havertz.

Imagine if we had Rice and another quality centre mid alongside him. We would be serious contenders. There are plenty out there, who we could have got for that 65m. Bobby Pires was on about Palhinha in the summer and I've rated the bloke since he arrived at Fulham. Bayern would have had him for an agreed 60m if the deal had been completed earlier. He's just one example. We should move for him in Jan.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:25 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:34 pm
Treble injury boost for Arsenal. Jurrien Timber progressing “remarkably well”, Martinelli hamstring injury is a minor tweak and Partey is surprisingly ahead of schedule too. Partey pushing to be ready for City, but club want to be cautious and give him the international break.

Not missing him in the slightest imo. I'd take him as the deep sitting centre mid and push Rice into the Havertz slot (which I can't see happening), but it will be lunacy if Partey comes back into the full back position and Gabriel is dropped. One would hope that Arteta would have learnt his lesson with that daft idea, but I fear that he has the Wenger gene and can't be wrong. Hope not.
Playing Partey at right back was completely mental but I think was only happening as Zinchenko was out injured and arteta is obsessed with the inverted full back (which partey isn’t which is why it was mental!)

Assuming Zinchenko stays fit (!) then I don’t foresee any changes to our back 4 as it is now.

As others have said, it was good to see ESR and others come on. Will be interesting how much game time he gets with the regular midweek games now. Either way, it’s good to have a bit more squad depth and our bench does look strong when everyone is fit

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

wibble wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:04 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
Treble injury boost for Arsenal. Jurrien Timber progressing “remarkably well”, Martinelli hamstring injury is a minor tweak and Partey is surprisingly ahead of schedule too. Partey pushing to be ready for City, but club want to be cautious and give him the international break.

Not missing him in the slightest imo. I'd take him as the deep sitting centre mid and push Rice into the Havertz slot (which I can't see happening), but it will be lunacy if Partey comes back into the full back position and Gabriel is dropped. One would hope that Arteta would have learnt his lesson with that daft idea, but I fear that he has the Wenger gene and can't be wrong. Hope not.
Playing Partey at right back was completely mental but I think was only happening as Zinchenko was out injured and arteta is obsessed with the inverted full back (which partey isn’t which is why it was mental!)

Assuming Zinchenko stays fit (!) then I don’t foresee any changes to our back 4 as it is now.

As others have said, it was good to see ESR and others come on. Will be interesting how much game time he gets with the regular midweek games now. Either way, it’s good to have a bit more squad depth and our bench does look strong when everyone is fit
I agree in that if either Zinchencko or Timber were available Partey wouldn’t have been needed to play that role.

White / Saka combine really well and although White is generally hesitant and not great with his passing he is ever willing to provide the overlap, which leaves Saka space to do damage 1 v 1.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:36 pm
wibble wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:04 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

I agree in that if either Zinchencko or Timber were available Partey wouldn’t have been needed to play that role.

White / Saka combine really well and although White is generally hesitant and not great with his passing he is ever willing to provide the overlap, which leaves Saka space to do damage 1 v 1.
Especially as Saka seems to have lost that confidence & spurt he used to have/do with regularity the last 2 seasons.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Declan Rice has avoided a serious injury to his back but remains in discomfort. Leandro Trossard and Gabriel Martinelli's injuries are also not expected to be long-term [@ArtdeRoche].

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:49 pm
Declan Rice has avoided a serious injury to his back but remains in discomfort. Leandro Trossard and Gabriel Martinelli's injuries are also not expected to be long-term [@ArtdeRoche].
All good news. 8)

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🗣️ “He was limping quite badly after the match. We had to get him off the field. He hasn’t been able to participate in the session. It’s a possibility (he could miss Bournemouth).”

Mikel Arteta says Bukayo Saka could miss the weekends game against Bournemouth due to injury. 🤕

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:56 pm
🗣️ “He was limping quite badly after the match. We had to get him off the field. He hasn’t been able to participate in the session. It’s a possibility (he could miss Bournemouth).”

Mikel Arteta says Bukayo Saka could miss the weekends game against Bournemouth due to injury. 🤕

Good - I dont mean that in a bad way, and I stand by my criticism of his performances and attitude this year (not season), but it is glaringly obvious that the only way the guy is gonna get a rest is if he is injured cos el basque keeps selecting him regardless of performances and fatigue. A few games off might do him some good and help recharge the batteries and the hunger in him

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:

I just hope he is okay for the game against $hitty.

BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66929855

Arsenal winger Bukayo Saka will miss his side's Carabao Cup tie at Brentford on Wednesday and could also be out of Saturday's league game at Bournemouth.

The 22-year-old England winger suffered a foot injury in the 2-2 draw with Tottenham on Sunday and was replaced by Emile Smith Rowe just before the final whistle.

"He was limping quite badly after the match," said Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta.

"We had to get him off the field, which is never a good sign."

Asked if Saka could miss the Premier League match at Bournemouth, Arteta added: "It's a possibility, yes."

The forward has scored four goals and registered three assists from seven games in the Premier League and Champions League this season.

If Saka does miss the game against the Cherries it will end his club-record run of 86 consecutive Premier League appearances.

Arsenal defender Jurrien Timber has a long term knee injury, while team-mates Thomas Partey, Leandro Trossard and Gabriel Martinelli are also out injured.

Gunners midfielder Declan Rice came off at half-time against Spurs but his back injury is not considered "too serious" by Arteta.

"It's true that they play with the national teams and they're coming from a season where they had a World Cup and some players played 60-odd games," said the Spaniard.

"We've been unlucky. Jurrien, for example, was due to other reasons, while Bukayo was because someone stepped on him.

"There are some traumatic injuries, others are more muscular. We try to find the ways to avoid them but they're a part of football.

"It's true that we have a lot of internationals in the last few windows and they have quite a lot of exposure to minutes but at the moment we have a squad that is not 24 players.

"To change 11 or 12 players [against Brentford] is just not a possibility we have."

Yeah! That dirty scumCunt.. also saw Maddison anotherCUNT having a go when he could..

So hopefully ESR and Nelson will get a chance to show how good they are.

wibble

Post by wibble »

augie wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:15 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Good - I dont mean that in a bad way, and I stand by my criticism of his performances and attitude this year (not season), but it is glaringly obvious that the only way the guy is gonna get a rest is if he is injured cos el basque keeps selecting him regardless of performances and fatigue. A few games off might do him some good and help recharge the batteries and the hunger in him
Out of interest, why do you say issues with his attitude? Do you feel he’s not putting the effort in?

I agree a rest is overdue as he’s played too much without any rotation, shame it’s come at a time when Trossard and martinelli may be out at the same time though

augie

Post by augie »

wibble wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:05 pm
augie wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Out of interest, why do you say issues with his attitude? Do you feel he’s not putting the effort in?

I agree a rest is overdue as he’s played too much without any rotation, shame it’s come at a time when Trossard and martinelli may be out at the same time though

In my opinion he doesnt look for the ball enough - compare him to martinelli (who isnt as skillful as saka) and you will see one of them wants the ball all the time and wants to take his man on (sometimes when he shouldnt). A hungry positive player regardless of actual ability will always look for the ball cos rightly or wrongly they believe that they can do something positive - imo saka hides sometimes and wants others to step up. He went through a phase last season when teams like geordies and everton were doubling up on him, but imo that isnt even happening this season and he still dont want it

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

augie wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:20 am
wibble wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:05 pm
augie wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

In my opinion he doesnt look for the ball enough - compare him to martinelli (who isnt as skillful as saka) and you will see one of them wants the ball all the time and wants to take his man on (sometimes when he shouldnt). A hungry positive player regardless of actual ability will always look for the ball cos rightly or wrongly they believe that they can do something positive - imo saka hides sometimes and wants others to step up. He went through a phase last season when teams like geordies and everton were doubling up on him, but imo that isnt even happening this season and he still dont want it
I fully agree.

As I said on the other thread, there isn't a single game I can recall that Saka grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and made his mark. He's quite easily marked out of a game, and rarely asserts himself if he's facing a battle with the opposition full-back. Saka has the ability but the attitude isn't quite there.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Luton midfielder Albert Sambi Lokonga has been ruled out for several months with a hamstring injury.

Loan spell going well :roll:

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

augie wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Right there Augie, Saka needs a few weeks in Dubai.