The Saka Connundrum

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

The Saka Connundrum

Post by augie »

I have a question for the Gooners on here - am I wrong or was Saka not a very pacy winger when he came into the team first ?? These days he takes no-one on and slows the game down more often than not, and even when he is up against a useless left back who has been booked today, he still never drove at him at all.
I am sick of fans defending Saka when all I see is a lack of enthusiasm from him - comments about him being knackered do not excuse his performances, and of late he is playing like a fairy who goes to ground at the slightest contact.
The kid has so much ability and should be world class, but I'm saying right now that if his attitude doesnt improve then he is far from irreplaceable imo, and if a big offer came in for him I would certainly consider selling him

SteveO 35

Re: The Saka Connundrum

Post by SteveO 35 »

He should have been dropped in the last 10 games of last season, and his form this season has continued on that path. I don't think it's an attitude problem - he just doesn't look confident and that's reflected like you say, in hardly ever taking on his full back anymore. He's become undroppable in Arteta's eyes and that is a concern - nobody should be above getting taken out of the side, and its a position where we do have options.

I hope he's not involved at all in midweek and if someone like Nelson does the business, it would be well worth leaving him out of the side for some PL games too

Definitely wouldn't want to sell him though! Don't think its come to that - just needs a big wake up call. He's done more than Ramsdale to merit being dropped

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Think he’s up to 85 consecutive league games now, a crazy workload and complete madness for a 22 year old which has definitely affected his form.

Don’t think he was ever as direct a winger as Martinelli who looks to push it down the line and burn the full back with his pace, Saka was always a bit more methodical, preferring to cut back in for the cross/shot.

His form tanked at the back end of last season and yet he started game after game after game. He’d benefit massively from a couple of weeks off just to reset and recover but I just can’t see it happening sadly.

He’s a genuine world class talent but his workload is being mismanaged to the detriment of both us and him.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I've never really been truly convinced by Saka, to be honest. He's got the ability to be world class and he can be utterly brilliant on the ball, but the consistency of waaaaaaaay off. whether that has to do with him being burned out or not remains to be seen; I don't doubt the constant game time is draining - and we should blame Arteta for not bringing in a second RW to cover him - but time and again I've seen Saka marked out of a game, and he doesn't seem to fight through it.

I don't recall a game in which Saka was up against it with the defender/s and bullied/bossed his way to the front. Whether its fatigue or attitude, he goes very quite often, and it's quite frustrating. Yesterday was a prime example of that.

Northern49

Post by Northern49 »

I think he's still young and he must be under a hell of a lot of pressure. Starting as much as he does isn't going to help him either. Maybe getting a new centre forward to relieve some of the pressure on him might help?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

As someone rightly said on the Lans Game Thread Saka has been slogged to death like a Shire Work Horse... and is now paying the price.

Incredibly BAD Player Management by Arteta and the Coaching & Medical Teams...

I don't think it is a coincidence that not only has his form dipped, he has stopped taking on defenders and now does that Wengeresque thing of receiving the ball taking a few quick steps forward with the ball towards the defender/s then turns and passes it back to either Rice or Odeargod and they play pointless Tiki Taki and so lose any momentum.

Either he has lost confidence in his ability to beat an opponent or been told not to do so - Or Both! Either way he is nowhere near the player he was the last 3 seasons...When he was genuinely feared by the opposition.

He takes more fouls & punishment than most of of players from the opposition; all of whom have now adopted the "Rotational Foul" method where they take it in turns to kick the holy-shit out of him and so avoid bookings... Ah! Haaa! BUT as soon as he retaliates - he gets Booked...Another load of Uber Incompetence from the Officials employed by PGMOL / FA.

Bottom line: Our Best Player Has Been Crocked By The Opposition and Our Own Management.

augie

Post by augie »

Saka isnt even in the top 10 most appearances in last 12 months - so if others are playing more games than him, can we really use burn out as an excuse for abject performances ?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24277737 ... past-year/

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Well that's Martin Lipton for you. Well known Spurs supporter, Selective at least.

Saka 48 for Arsenal 13 for England plus Emirates cup & trips to America
Bet he's not far behind.

He's a kid and not had a proper break for 3 years.
Football hasn't learned anything since Michael Owen was completely knackered by over playing too often too young.
Lipton's list contains a number of fully developed athletes the nearest to Saka looks to be Rashford who is 3 years older.
When I played , the physios said that your physical peak was between 25 and 28 years old . Saka is 22 and still developing .

augie

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:14 pm
Well that's Martin Lipton for you. Well known Spurs supporter, Selective at least.

Saka 48 for Arsenal 13 for England plus Emirates cup & trips to America
Bet he's not far behind.

He's a kid and not had a proper break for 3 years.
Football hasn't learned anything since Michael Owen was completely knackered by over playing too often too young.
Lipton's list contains a number of fully developed athletes the nearest to Saka looks to be Rashford who is 3 years older.
When I played , the physios said that your physical peak was between 25 and 28 years old . Saka is 22 and still developing .

Tbh I didnt even look at who penned the article :oops: :oops:

I'm no different to most Gooners in that I will always root for the homegrown players (and the young signings like martinelli) more than I will the expensive high profile signings (as evidenced in my man love for smith-rowe :wink: ), but I have to be honest and say that I am beginning to think that saka is getting too much of a free pass with the fans and especially the manager. I agree that he is being over-played, but in a lot of games he looks non-plussed and/or afraid of the responsibility, and that is serious concern for me

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

In some ways I tend to agree that Arteta's tactics make both Saka and Martinelli like one trick ponies . Cut inside and curl it to the far corner or find Odegaard. The lack of someone in the middle making runs and drawing defenders out of position leaves us somewhat limited in how to score goals . People argue that instead of one forward we have 4 or 5 players that chime in, but defenders learn and make it difficult for the same old trick to work time and time again.
Saka and Martielli are true talents and I am totally with you that instead of putting so much into Havertz we could have given both ESR and Nelson more time to develop and ploughed that cash into someone for them to aim for.
I worry that the kids at Hale End are watching and when they see their routes being blocked they are likely to either leave or find their careers faltering as they wait for their chance.