Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

DB10GOONER

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:43 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:41 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:18 am
https://theathletic.com/5299756/2024/02 ... Id=7328447

Great article by someone who understands football, explaining how we sucked the life out of Newcastle in the first half on Saturday. Honestly, some of the analogies on here are so one-dimensional, case in point trying to compare this season with last when football is a fluid game not just with the evolvement of our team/squad but the challenges posed by our opposition. It's nearly impossible to make any meaningful comparison.
Sorry Nutty but that "article" is absolute horseshit written by a stat fanboy that does not understand football at all. Fucking stupid stats like "13% completed passes in the opposition half" mean literally nothing if even one of those passes leads to the match winning goal. Stats are used by idiots to try bolster strawman arguments. The fucking idiot even went on about the most cringe stupid stat of them all - expected goals..... fuck me sideways. :roll:

Nutty, you are developing a bad habit of coming on here and basically saying "such and such a WhatsApp group and such and such blog know more about football than all of you because I disagree with you".

I just don't get why you keep coming back if you hate the forum so much and look down on everyone's opinion so much?

Don't get me wrong here, you are an old established regular and will always be welcome, but I don't know why you'd want to spend time somewhere that makes you so unhappy?
There isn't a consensus on any medium that I chat on especially Whatsapp, but with Havertz I am truly glass half full. He had an awful start, then finally found himself in December and he is now making a meaningful contribution to the team.

Yeah he should score more goals, that miss versus Newcastle in the 2nd half was shocking, but he isn't as bad as some of you lot make him out to be. He was a vital cog in the wheel in that first half demolition of Newcastle. His off the ball work was underrated.

And Stuart hit the nail right on the head!
I agree Havertz has improved but his start was so bad that it's an extremely low bar! He has his moments on the pitch and you can see there is a player in there somewhere, but I get the feeling we'll never see the best out of him. I hope he does come good but not holding my breath mate.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:22 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:14 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:05 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:18 am
https://theathletic.com/5299756/2024/02 ... Id=7328447

Great article by someone who understands football, explaining how we sucked the life out of Newcastle in the first half on Saturday. Honestly, some of the analogies on here are so one-dimensional, case in point trying to compare this season with last when football is a fluid game not just with the evolvement of our team/squad but the challenges posed by our opposition. It's nearly impossible to make any meaningful comparison.
Sorry Nutty but that "article" is absolute horseshit written by a stat fanboy that does not understand football at all. Fucking stupid stats like "13% completed passes in the opposition half" mean literally nothing if even one of those passes leads to the match winning goal. Stats are used by idiots to try bolster strawman arguments. The fucking idiot even went on about the most cringe stupid stat of them all - expected goals..... fuck me sideways. :roll:

Nutty, you are developing a bad habit of coming on here and basically saying "such and such a WhatsApp group and such and such blog know more about football than all of you because I disagree with you".

I just don't get why you keep coming back if you hate the forum so much and look down on everyone's opinion so much?

Don't get me wrong here, you are an old established regular and will always be welcome, but I don't know why you'd want to spend time somewhere that makes you so unhappy?

:lol:
I still don't understand expected fucking goals. Still, as I've said before, Arsene loved them, because he could tell us that we'd actually won games that we'd lost. :lol:

Oh and in fairness to Nutty, spending time somewhere that makes one desperately unhappy doesn't stop me coming on here. :lol: :lol: :barscarf:
I only come on here to sample the hysteria and depression, to feel instantly better about myself :barscarf: :barscarf:
Huh! Superioirist! :D :wink:
Thanks mate, always nice to be appreciated :barscarf: :barscarf: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:48 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:22 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:14 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:05 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

:lol:
I still don't understand expected fucking goals. Still, as I've said before, Arsene loved them, because he could tell us that we'd actually won games that we'd lost. :lol:

Oh and in fairness to Nutty, spending time somewhere that makes one desperately unhappy doesn't stop me coming on here. :lol: :lol: :barscarf:
I only come on here to sample the hysteria and depression, to feel instantly better about myself :barscarf: :barscarf:
Huh! Superioirist! :D :wink:
Thanks mate, always nice to be Over-appreciated :barscarf: :barscarf: :wink:
You're most welcome. :lol:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Thomas Tuchel is another one I reckon the Arteta naysayers would be up for.

He is absolutely gutting Bayern. Hopefully Bayern get Alonso to stop him going to Liverpool.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:47 am

He is absolutely gutting Bayern. Hopefully Bayern get Alonso to stop him going to Liverpool.
Tuchel!??? No Thanks.

augie

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:45 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:47 am

Tuchel!??? No Thanks.

You are worse for responding to him - no-one on here has ever advocated tuchel so it is just more of his lame arsed bu!!shit to deflect from the cone boys ineptitude :roll: :oops: :oops:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Ooopsie Daisy !! :oops: ... Apologies Augie How Dare I Forget You Are In Charge Of This Forum And Decide Who Posts What, When and Where.

:roll:

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

I’m afraid to ask but who have people been advocating as logical replacements for Arteta on here ?

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:45 pm
I’m afraid to ask but who have people been advocating as logical replacements for Arteta on here ?
Anyone basically. I threw up Conte as a joke a few weeks ago and got serious responses.

They way people talk about Arteta you would think he is performing like Ten Hag, Poch, Potter

Viv Andersons Tache

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:09 am
Anyone basically. I threw up Conte as a joke a few weeks ago and got serious responses.

They way people talk about Arteta you would think he is performing like Ten Hag, Poch, Potter
Conte :D gotta be having a laugh.

Thing is if you asked 100 of our fans every home game at the emirates on the manager you would struggle to find 2 out of the 100 who wanted the manager sacked I reckon. It’s not an opinion that’s remotely endorsed or legitimate within the fanbase currently so I’m not sure why it would be discussed. The blokes turned things around and everyone kind of knows that. The block where I sit has everyone behind the team and not even a muttering of discontent. Arteta is more likely to be poached rather than sacked.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Voting for a leader never really works . It's like politics , you vote for the best of a bad job and never get 100% of what you really want. Arteta is doing a job and could do better ? also he could do a lot worse.
At least we are now competitive as opposed to the end of the Wenger years , looking at any other managers out there I can't see anybody that is nailed on to do better.

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

Are you drawing up a list ready for when he leaves us to join Man United in the summer, as per pig lips?

Viv Andersons Tache

Kingralph wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:03 pm
Are you drawing up a list ready for when he leaves us to join Man United in the summer, as per pig lips?
Yeah plug off the bash street kids was on a wind up with that one.

Just interested really. Replacing the manager isn’t a logical conversation within our fanbase at the moment so I found it interesting it was being contemplated here when nobody else is thinking this way.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:18 am
Kingralph wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:03 pm
Yeah plug off the bash street kids was on a wind up with that one.

Just interested really. Replacing the manager isn’t a logical conversation within our fanbase at the moment so I found it interesting it was being contemplated here when nobody else is thinking this way.

Hmmm, I wouldn't get too carried away with what the supporters in the stadium are thinking. The vast majority in there were still backing Wenger as late as 2015/16 and I'd venture that at least half of them were still behind the Old Fraud when he was finally pushed in 2018.

Too many supporters can't see further than the last result and we're on a good run at the moment. Let's judge Arteta in May.

augie

Post by augie »

So many tourists and new age young fans who buy into media bu!!shit regardless of topic