Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

IW8Goalmachine

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

He gave them both 100k a week :lol:

An "elite" manager would be able to replace them with our youth.

That's ohe thing I like about Klopp. He has the ability to do that. I don't think arteta does.

Anyway we are going around in circles here.

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:10 am

That's ohe thing I like about Klopp. He has the ability to do that. I don't think arteta does.

What youth striker is a candidate for our first team right now that can play at a champions league level?

Arteta has no responsibility for the Arsenal academy. Again blaming the guy for everything. If there are no obvious candidates he should just sell all our squad players ? Just doesn’t make sense.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:24 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

What youth striker is a candidate for our first team right now that can play at a champions league level?

Arteta has no responsibility for the Arsenal academy. Again blaming the guy for everything. If there are no obvious candidates he should just sell all our squad players ? Just doesn’t make sense.
Eddie is hardly CL level now.

No one is blaming him for the academy. It's well documented that we have some great young players. It is Arteta's responsibility to bring the youth into the seniors but he doesn't do that. How are you suppose.l to know if they are ready if you don't give them a try when the opportunity arrives.

We had a spare game in the group stages with three youth on the bench.

None of them got minutes.

One lad got a run out in the league cup.

Just going back to your comment about not blaming arteta for an Individual mistake. Can that thinking be applied to win we win?

So Tuesday night was down to Øde's individual brilliance and Raya's penalty saves.

Viv Andersons Tache

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:13 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

No one is blaming him for the academy. It's well documented that we have some great young players. It is Arteta's responsibility to bring the youth into the seniors but he doesn't do that. How are you suppose.l to know if they are ready if you don't give them a try when the opportunity arrives.

Just going back to your comment about not blaming arteta for an Individual mistake. Can that thinking be applied to win we win?

So Tuesday night was down to Øde's individual brilliance and Raya's penalty saves.
Course it can but like I said if the set up is right and the motivation is right the coach should get some credit. He gives the players a platform to play and if the side is at the top of the league and in a champions league quarter final for first time 14 years to not give the manager credit is peculiar given the circumstances.

If it’s a situation like Ian Wright getting George Grahams nonsense off the hook every week in a team full of dross from 92-95. I’d consider that the scenario you are probably suggesting.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:30 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Course it can but like I said if the set up is right and the motivation is right the coach should get some credit. He gives the players a platform to play and if the side is at the top of the league and in a champions league quarter final for first time 14 years to not give the manager credit is peculiar given the circumstances.

If it’s a situation like Ian Wright getting George Grahams nonsense off the hook every week in a team full of dross from 92-95. I’d consider that the scenario you are probably suggesting.
In previous posts I have given arteta credit for where we are right now but there's a long way to go. And also remember he has spend 700mil

Arteta has been manger for 4 of those 14 years. He isn't a newbie :D

So the end last season can it be said that Arteta didn't give the players the right motivation or platform to play? Or are we back to individual mistakes?

Viv Andersons Tache

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:39 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

In previous posts I have given arteta credit for where we are right now but there's a long way to go. And also remember he has spend 700mil

So the end last season can it be said that Arteta didn't give the players the right motivation or platform to play? Or are we back to individual mistakes?
Saliba and Tommy got injured and we started leaking goals easier. Let’s sack the manager

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:13 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:39 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Saliba and Tommy got injured and we started leaking goals easier. Let’s sack the manager
I never said let's sack the manager.

But you'd like to think that he'd have adequate cover from all the money he spent.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

A question for Viv and Nutty. Come the end of this season, what will success look like in your opinion? What will the team need to achieve to warrant calling the season a success?

We finished last season 5 points behind City and 17 points ahead of Liverpool.

Last season we went out of the FA Cup in the 4th round and the EFL Cup in the 3rd round...first round for us (I think De Zerbi was managing Brighton :lol: ).

We then spent over 200 million in the summer....but didn't buy a striker. This, by the way, took Arteta's 4 year spend to 700 million, which makes nonsense of Viv's blaming funds for having dross on the bench.

This season we went out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round and the EFL Cup in the 4th round in an embarrassing performance against West Ham :oops: .
Under Arteta, exiting domestic cups almost immediately has become a habit.

Last season we went out of the Europa in the first knockout stage on penalties, this season we squeaked through the CL first knockout stage on penalties.

So, after spending over 200 million last summer, we've totally fucked up the domestic cups again, so it's all on the PL and CL. How far do we have to go in the CL and how will the final PL have to look for you to say it's been a success this season?

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:26 am
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:41 pm
It's the same old shit really from the blinkered. If you don't agree that everything is wonderful and the current manager is amazing then you are somehow "disloyal" or just "negative". If you try and make an actual balanced comment like "its a good run we are on, nothing more yet" then you are just bring "negative".
Or ‘woke’ apparently. :lol:

All must be rosey in the Wengteta garden. :barscarf:

And before I get called a Spurs fan again ( :lol: ), I’m very much enjoying the good run we are on but I find it concerning that we’re still quite wasteful with the ball, at times, AND the absolute lack of depth in the squad. If the starting 11 doesn’t get the job done then turning to Reiss Nelson, Nketiah and Zinchenko is beyond worrying.

When you start whining like a Bitch about Ooooh! I'm Just Expressing My Opinions when called on your Negativity... And then try and get out of it when we win like one of those Radio4 Noncey Farts... then that's what looks and sound like "Woke" MF.

There's a difference between Constructive Criticism and Always Flopping About Like a Gay Limp Voiced Bitch Ooooh! We're Going to lose this :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: Just because we aren't playing well.

Arsenal Till I Die!? aka: Mr Negative Woke from Frumpington. :coffeespit:
One: It’s an internet forum about football, OBG. I can express my opinion freely (even if you don’t like it),,so long as I don’t attack other members (which seems to be a sticking point for you).

Two: You’ve been given a long leash on here for your of labelling people nonces or peados etc before, I’ve never agreed with it because it could lead to the forum getting in trouble. Do better.

Three: Throwing around homophobic slurs is a real good look, OBG. Ironically in the same sentence you discussed constructive criticism.

Four: Shakespeare couldn’t have written it better himself. :roll: :lol:

Viv Andersons Tache

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:22 am
A question for Viv and Nutty. Come the end of this season, what will success look like in your opinion? What will the team need to achieve to warrant calling the season a success?

We finished last season 5 points behind City and 17 points ahead of Liverpool.

Last season we went out of the FA Cup in the 4th round and the EFL Cup in the 3rd round...first round for us (I think De Zerbi was managing Brighton :lol: ).

We then spent over 200 million in the summer....but didn't buy a striker. This, by the way, took Arteta's 4 year spend to 700 million, which makes nonsense of Viv's blaming funds for having dross on the bench.

This season we went out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round and the EFL Cup in the 4th round in an embarrassing performance against West Ham :oops: .
Under Arteta, exiting domestic cups almost immediately has become a habit.

Last season we went out of the Europa in the first knockout stage on penalties, this season we squeaked through the CL first knockout stage on penalties.

So, after spending over 200 million last summer, we've totally fucked up the domestic cups again, so it's all on the PL and CL. How far do we have to go in the CL and how will the final PL have to look for you to say it's been a success this season?
Ok I think the question is a good one so I’ll answer but first harping on about the 700 million. This is a joke. You do realise that between 2009 to 2019 city spent 1.5 billion on players and this was before the vast recent inflation whilst we had wenger running the club into the ground. They are now up on ffp because of this. Look at their bench at the weekend. There’s 250 million in players they signed on their subs bench! Give that to Arteta and he’ll get you a title, trying to suggest we’ve wasted money is absurd. Our major signings like white and Rice have worked out.

The question id say …

Lose at the Etihad and fall away to third in the league then go out of CL next round. I’d say you couldn’t class it as a success as it’s probably the baseline of achievement. It’s meh for me not punishable by death by any means as it points to us establishing regular champions league qualification 2 years in a row just full of what ifs.

A gallant 2nd by a short margin and a champions league semi final would qualify as a real success for me. Would show last season wasn’t a one off and that we are here to stay and made definitive progress in Europe with loads of prize money. Rebuild, chop wood and go again !

That said I fully believe from what I’m reading here that even if we actually won the title you would have people saying “‘bu bu bu but he signed Havertz!” :lol:

Viv Andersons Tache

Retro Gunner wrote:

a buh-buh-buh but we went out of the EFL cup ! This wont matter one iota to our away support if we get drawn to go to Barcelona, Paris or Madrid. An utterly pony competition anyway

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:28 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

a buh-buh-buh but we went out of the EFL cup ! This wont matter one iota to our away support if we get drawn to go to Barcelona, Paris or Madrid. An utterly pony competition anyway
So do you think arteta should have used the youngsters?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Fivetothree or his brother is deffo back on here. :lol: :wink:

Viv Andersons Tache

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:06 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

Not really. There’s only 2 decent ones in the latest batch and they are very very young.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:06 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:06 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

Not really. There’s only 2 decent ones in the latest batch and they are very very young.
But if it's a nothing cup then he should have had the youngsters out for some senior experience.

Agreed that they are young but Nwaneri did make his debut in the league.