Welcome Declan Rice

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Do you want Rice at Arsenal

Poll ended at Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:51 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 27

IW8Goalmachine

Re: Welcome Declan Rice

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:18 pm
A true Englishman captaining his country with pride.....and an absolute snip at £105m!

If City had signed him everyone would be moaning that he was exactly the sort of top quality signing we should be in the running for. Honestly, even those people who thought the price was too much back then, can't honestly say that now? He's been superb in almost every game. Our previous attempts at filling that position were the club footed c.unt who cost us >£30m 7 years ago, and the permacrock Partey for £45m or whatever it was - he's worth 10x either of those two c.unts!

Forget the fact he doesn't formally have the armband - he's the best leadership figure we've had on the field since PV4 left

How's Caicedo getting on by the way?
No one is saying anything negative about Rice.

Actually most said that they have been happily proven wrong. Me included.

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
A true Englishman captaining his country with pride.....and an absolute snip at £105m!

If City had signed him everyone would be moaning that he was exactly the sort of top quality signing we should be in the running for. Honestly, even those people who thought the price was too much back then, can't honestly say that now? He's been superb in almost every game. Our previous attempts at filling that position were the club footed c.unt who cost us >£30m 7 years ago, and the permacrock Partey for £45m or whatever it was - he's worth 10x either of those two c.unts!

Forget the fact he doesn't formally have the armband - he's the best leadership figure we've had on the field since PV4 left

You never seen the video clips of him singing ira songs then ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:14 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

You never seen the video clips of him singing ira songs then ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew it wouldn't take much to get to the real reason you think he's overpriced :D

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:20 pm
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I knew it wouldn't take much to get to the real reason you think he's overpriced :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that he was over-priced as a DM Steve O cos I dont think any DM in the world is worth £100m, but as a number 8 he has been immense for us cos the shackles are off him and he is able to lead the charge from higher up the pitch

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:59 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I think that he was over-priced as a DM Steve O cos I dont think any DM in the world is worth £100m, but as a number 8 he has been immense for us cos the shackles are off him and he is able to lead the charge from higher up the pitch
I know he's no Jeff Hendrick or Glenn Whelan mate, but give it time and you'll learn to love him :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:48 am
augie wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:59 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I know he's no Jeff Hendrick or Glenn Whelan mate, but give it time and you'll learn to love him :D
Glenn Whelan. Shit footballer. :lol: Proper man. 8)

The only player that stayed with Ramsey and tried to keep him calm until the medics got to him, while our pussies all swooned and had a little cry and ran away from their team mate lying there with his tib and fib sticking out of his leg. Jesus.... Wenger had built such a team of vaginas at that time. :oops:

In fairness though Glenn would have seen worse outside any night club or pub in Dublin on your average Saturday night so he had a stronger stomach than our lot of pussies. :lol: :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Bollocks Steve mate. People should beat them selves up over a valid opinion from months and months ago? I still think we overpaid for him. But I would qualify that with I think we overpaid for the Oirish Deckers :wink: that was playing for wet sham at that time.

THAT guy was not worth 105 million.

The Oirish Deckers that currently plays for us is an entirely different player.

As much as I don't rate Arteta as "the greatest manager in the history of the world" like we have to now to show we are proper loyal Arsenal fans, I will give him big credit for seeing something in Rice that he thought he could develop into what we now see, which is a much much better player.

I'll even forgive Deckers for singing the shitbag IRA songs. :lol: :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:38 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Bollocks Steve mate. People should beat them selves up over a valid opinion from months and months ago? I still think we overpaid for him. But I would qualify that with I think we overpaid for the Oirish Deckers :wink: that was playing for wet sham at that time.

As much as I don't rate Arteta as "the greatest manager in the history of the world" like we have to now to show we are proper loyal Arsenal fans, I will give him big credit for seeing something in Rice that he thought he could develop into what we now see, which is a much much better player.

I'll forgive him for singing them with a London accent too - I mean the days of Irish cockneys Townsend and Cascarino are long gone, so glad Ing-er-lund's finest has stayed loyal to the flag!

I've said before, whether its Rice or anyone else, I don't believe in all this overpaid/underpaid shit any more. Football lost its right to that when blokes worth multi-billions took over clubs and ran them as hobbies. The owning family of Manchester City are worth 500bn+, so spending £100m on Squealish is like you or I having a decent night out with a few beers involved, pocket change! Same is true of Rice. What I would say to back that point is that the Chavs were happy to pay £88m for Mudryk, a man with 30 odd appearances in a farmers league, Man Ure £85m for slabhead Maguire, €100m for Antony, and £100m+ for Caicedo. We still look at these signings and prices like they actually mean something and we should be worried about them. For the likes of Kroenke, Boehly and Sheikh Mansour, these are just rich men's playthings. I support the team, not Kroenke or any owner. If they think someone is worth £100m or £500m is of absolute no consequence to me

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Agreed this point scoring is juvenile....that said anyone who cant see the worth of Rice knows fuck all about football...hes Top class

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Whatever happens by the end of the season, it's been a thrill to watch a player that really steps us up a level. He's been consistent from game one, and I've enjoyed every second of him in an Arsenal shirt.

Future captain, no doubt.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Agreed this point scoring is juvenile....that said anyone who cant see the worth of Rice knows fuck all about football...hes Top class

I was one of those that thought we could do better than Rice, especially for the money paid and thought he was an above average player worth 40-50 million. I'd never been particularly impressed with him at West Ham, where he was a big fish in a very small pond and I'd always been underwhelmed when he played for England, with and against top level players. So, I wouldn't have spent 105 million on him. Happy to say I was wrong and he has shown himself to be a better footballer than I thought he was capable of being.

I'll still maintain that he isn't the type of game changing, creative player that I think 105 million should get you, but he's everything that we haven't had for fucking years...a strong, competitive, reliable player wo will give you 100% every time and he can play too being technically better than I'd realised. Guys like him are the beating hearty of a side and we haven't really had that since Paddy left (with all due respect to Cesc, who was a magnificent player).

What you'll notice on here is that it's those that get criticised for being negative who will hold their hands up if they get it wrong. I suppose that's also because being proved wrong is a positive for the team. I'm not so sure that those DB refers to as the "fan boys" :lol: are quite so quick to admit it when they get it wrong. We'll see soon enough once Granit Havertz costs us big time.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I'll forgive him for singing them with a London accent too - I mean the days of Irish cockneys Townsend and Cascarino are long gone, so glad Ing-er-lund's finest has stayed loyal to the flag!

I've said before, whether its Rice or anyone else, I don't believe in all this overpaid/underpaid shit any more. Football lost its right to that when blokes worth multi-billions took over clubs and ran them as hobbies. The owning family of Manchester City are worth 500bn+, so spending £100m on Squealish is like you or I having a decent night out with a few beers involved, pocket change! Same is true of Rice. What I would say to back that point is that the Chavs were happy to pay £88m for Mudryk, a man with 30 odd appearances in a farmers league, Man Ure £85m for slabhead Maguire, €100m for Antony, and £100m+ for Caicedo. We still look at these signings and prices like they actually mean something and we should be worried about them. For the likes of Kroenke, Boehly and Sheikh Mansour, these are just rich men's playthings. I support the team, not Kroenke or any owner. If they think someone is worth £100m or £500m is of absolute no consequence to me

Can't agree with that mate. We saw under Abramovich and now Boehly at Chelsea and the Arabs at City, that paying fortunes for players had no impact on future spending. As you say, it was loose change to them. While Kroenke has supported Arteta financially, I don't get the impression that it's a bottomless pit attitude, so when we spend 105 million, it's gotta be well spent, because it does impact the budget.

Listing the fortunes blown on sub par players by the likes of Utd and Chelsea isn't relevant, beyond the impact it has on market prices. We can't play their game (or haven't been willing to, although we've made our share of mistakes), but it's better to compare us to Liverpool, who also have to manage their budget well and generally do.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I was one of those that thought we could do better than Rice, especially for the money paid and thought he was an above average player worth 40-50 million. I'd never been particularly impressed with him at West Ham, where he was a big fish in a very small pond and I'd always been underwhelmed when he played for England, with and against top level players. So, I wouldn't have spent 105 million on him. Happy to say I was wrong and he has shown himself to be a better footballer than I thought he was capable of being.

I'll still maintain that he isn't the type of game changing, creative player that I think 105 million should get you, but he's everything that we haven't had for fucking years...a strong, competitive, reliable player wo will give you 100% every time and he can play too being technically better than I'd realised. Guys like him are the beating hearty of a side and we haven't really had that since Paddy left (with all due respect to Cesc, who was a magnificent player).

What you'll notice on here is that it's those that get criticised for being negative who will hold their hands up if they get it wrong. I suppose that's also because being proved wrong is a positive for the team. I'm not so sure that those DB refers to as the "fan boys" :lol: are quite so quick to admit it when they get it wrong. We'll see soon enough once Granit Havertz costs us big time.
Fair point well made...yes agree with most above...only to say that yes hes not a creative player like Brady but he can win you matches
His defensive covering his top class interceptions and timings of tackles is superb...hes a winner ...unlike that piece of shit xhaka...whom Wenger stated to Keown,he did not know he cant tackle when he signed him :D

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm
Whatever happens by the end of the season, it's been a thrill to watch a player that really steps us up a level. He's been consistent from game one, and I've enjoyed every second of him in an Arsenal shirt.

Future captain, no doubt.
:barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Can't agree with that mate. We saw under Abramovich and now Boehly at Chelsea and the Arabs at City, that paying fortunes for players had no impact on future spending. As you say, it was loose change to them. While Kroenke has supported Arteta financially, I don't get the impression that it's a bottomless pit attitude, so when we spend 105 million, it's gotta be well spent, because it does impact the budget.

Listing the fortunes blown on sub par players by the likes of Utd and Chelsea isn't relevant, beyond the impact it has on market prices. We can't play their game (or haven't been willing to, although we've made our share of mistakes), but it's better to compare us to Liverpool, who also have to manage their budget well and generally do.
That's exactly how I look at it. I don't see Kroenke giving us endless funds the way the Arabs do at their plaything clubs.