Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

OneBardGooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:50 am
the playing mantis wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:07 pm
Don't disagree but what if he's shit next year?

Ps stop grooming me :shock:

Edit Cos of phone typing...
All thsi agreeing...

:lol:

Yes, far too much agreeing going on and it’s a concern. Must be getting soft.

DB will be on to ban us for not adhering to the spiteful and vitriolic disagreement which is mandatory in the OG’s rules and regs.

:wink:
I disagree :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:07 am
Retro Gunner wrote:

All thsi agreeing...

DB will be on to ban us for not adhering to the spiteful and vitriolic disagreement which is mandatory in the OG’s rules and regs.

I disagree :D
I mean... :rubchin: Uhhhhmmm! I disagree but concur whilst also agreeing... WHY?

I'll tell you why!

There's far too much Flip Floppery Going On that's Why!!!!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:06 am
Retro Gunner wrote:

All thsi agreeing...

Everybody sing:

"Are you fiveto, are you fiveto, are you fivetothree in disguise?!"

:lol: :wink:

Damn, outed! Well, y’know, not in THAT way of course. :oops:

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:34 pm
In my view we have lost the league due to one man. Zinchenko. Cost us 6 points vs Villa. Got raped for their goal in the away game. Similarly made the whole team and stadium shit themselves at home. If we simply draw both games we win the league. Bloke’s a total c unt. It’s no coincidence we have righted the ship since he was dropped a few games ago. Total fucking liability.
And to add to that, fucking Jesus against the Scum to put us 2-0 up and cruising when it was easier to score.
They then go down the other end and equalised

Ironic that it's 2 ex Shitty players that have contributed to us being praying for them to fuck up.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:54 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:06 am
Retro Gunner wrote:

All thsi agreeing...

Everybody sing:

"Are you fiveto, are you fiveto, are you fivetothree in disguise?!"

Damn, outed! Well, y’know, not in THAT way of course. :oops:

No, I don't understand in WHAT way?

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

The measure of Arteta's capability and competence as Arsenal manager, going forward, would be if he goes out and buys a genuine (class) centre forward in the summer. Arsenal have placed themselves in a position in which they look an attractive club to play for, at the moment. Let's say we don't win the league - two seasons finishing second, QF of the CL. Last summer we spent big on a player that had improved us massively. There are plenty of players that would now view us as an attractive club to play for, and want to push for honours with.

It truly is down to the manager. The board/owners - for all of their mismanagement - have backed the manager time and again with suitable finances, and providing they do so again this summer then there is no reason why we shouldn't go out and aim to sign the one of the best forwards in Europe.

A CF and a LB and some decent squad/bench options and we're fucking laughing. I'd say a new GK but we know that Arteta prefers Raya.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:49 pm
The measure of Arteta's capability and competence as Arsenal manager, going forward, would be if he goes out and buys a genuine (class) centre forward in the summer. Arsenal have placed themselves in a position in which they look an attractive club to play for, at the moment. Let's say we don't win the league - two seasons finishing second, QF of the CL. Last summer we spent big on a player that had improved us massively. There are plenty of players that would now view us as an attractive club to play for, and want to push for honours with.

It truly is down to the manager. The board/owners - for all of their mismanagement - have backed the manager time and again with suitable finances, and providing they do so again this summer then there is no reason why we shouldn't go out and aim to sign the one of the best forwards in Europe.

A CF and a LB and some decent squad/bench options and we're fucking laughing. I'd say a new GK but we know that Arteta prefers Raya.
Agree about the centre forward - but he has to be top top quality.
LB we sorted last summer with Timber and hopefully he finally gets a good run in the team next season

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:49 pm

I would say Timber is our LB assuming he fully recovers - pushing into midfield to create an overload ( I won’t call it inverting )

Right hand side has a really good understanding

Saka / Odegaard / White interchange and Whites overlapping is done as either a decoy or as a valid option which consistently pays off.

Left hand side we simply don’t have the same connections.

Be it Leo or Martinelli, they just don’t have the same level of understanding with Kiwor / Zinchencko

We are truly a club that is attractive for so many reasons - getting that top drawer forward should be easier now, than when we were trying to persuade Valhovic to join us than Juve

I’m confident we go big on a striker and the DM to replace Partey, pushing Rice further forward, the return of Timber with a couple of the hale Enders coming through too.

A £100m striker over a 5 year deal is £20m which is absolutely realistic for us, even more so if Sesko’s buy out clause is £43m

Talking about strikers, all gone very quiet about Balogun hasn’t it, 7 goals in league this season for Monaco well below Lacazette and Auba and he was going to be our main man :oops:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Not worried about LB, or the defence in general. I’m not blown away by our full backs, but hopefully Timber will establish himself and we need to spend big money elsewhere.

I’d go after a better keeper than we have and I’d definitely give Kelleher a shot, but it’s gonna be Raya as we all know.

The two crucial positions in my opinion, as I’ve said on the transfer thread, are centre mid and centre forward. Get the right quality of players in those positions and we really could compete at the top level.

I’d still be happy to see us sign Luiz for CM, but don’t know anything about the Spanish guy that augie favours…can’t remember his name.

As for CF, I’m struggling. Not convinced either Toney or Watkins would suit our style although both would be an upgrade on Havertz. I think we need a level above both of them, but I’m not clued up about the European names that get mentioned. All I know is that a 20-25 goal striker is vital.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Whatever happens this year, I really hope he gets rid of Zinchenko. We have benefitted so much not having him in the team. Our defensive record in 2024 is elite, coinciding with Zinchenko not playing. Arteta made a big mistake putting him back in the team to play Villa.

The 4 centre back model is the way to go. Natural defenders all over 6 foot who are strong in the tackle and equally good on the ball. Zinchenko isnt even that good on the ball, misplaces too many passes and gets disposed way too often. Teams outgrown him. Sell him.

If Arteta can be ruthless to Ramsdale, he can do it to Zinchenko.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Zinchenko, Jesus, Nketiah cost us the league. Arteta playing them when he didn’t need to in a couple of games has dropped a real clanger.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 6:35 am
Zinchenko, Jesus, Nketiah cost us the league. Arteta playing them when he didn’t need to in a couple of games has dropped a real clanger.
And yet this side has still won as many games as the Invincibles and the 2002 championship winning side. There's a good chance they could end up winning more games than any other Arsenal side in a 38-game season.

scotgooner

Post by scotgooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Totally agree

herbert

Post by herbert »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 10:32 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:
And yet this side has still won as many games as the Invincibles and the 2002 championship winning side. There's a good chance they could end up winning more games than any other Arsenal side in a 38-game season.
Yep whatever happens it has been a pleasure watching Mikel's Arsenal this season & the results form & quality of football since Xmas has been amazing

augie

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:57 am
Whatever happens this year, I really hope he gets rid of Zinchenko. We have benefitted so much not having him in the team. Our defensive record in 2024 is elite, coinciding with Zinchenko not playing. Arteta made a big mistake putting him back in the team to play Villa.

The 4 centre back model is the way to go. Natural defenders all over 6 foot who are strong in the tackle and equally good on the ball. Zinchenko isnt even that good on the ball, misplaces too many passes and gets disposed way too often. Teams outgrown him. Sell him.

If Arteta can be ruthless to Ramsdale, he can do it to Zinchenko.

Call me old school if you like, but that to me is a total contradiction - natural defenders are not equally comfortable on the ball. Think TA6 or bouldie or keown and you are talking abour proper natural defenders who defended like their lives depended on it, but they were not comfortable ball players in the strictest sense. Also cos the cone boy wants to copy everything pep does, he needs an inverted full back who is comfortable on the ball, and not a centre back asked to go in to midfield and be a playmaker - you keep wanting to copy what pep does but the reality is that we dont have as many top quality players as they do so we need our own plan