Super 6 season 2023 /2024

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Stuart L (2)

Re: Super 6 season 2023 /2024

Post by Stuart L (2) »

wibble wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 5:19 pm
What do I win? What’s that, nothing?

I would make a full speech but I’m currently facing 115 charges of corruption and my legal team have advised me not to say anything other than I strenuously deny these charges!

I very much enjoyed making the predictions and one of these days I’m determined to actually win one of the money prizes!

I’ll be back next year to reclaim my title :lol:
Congrats mate - no prize other than the distinguished honour of being the online Gooner champion :barscarf: :barscarf:

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

wibble wrote:

I would make a full speech but I’m currently facing 115 charges of corruption and my legal team have advised me not to say anything other than I strenuously deny these charges!

I very much enjoyed making the predictions and one of these days I’m determined to actually win one of the money prizes!

Well, if you’re Man Cheaty, that makes me the Arsenal. Took it to the last game and just missed out. But I’ve just started the legal proceedings with ‘Johnny Knuckles’ soon to pay you a visit to sort it out. Hope your defence is strong!
Well done anyway!

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

goonertux wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:57 pm
wibble wrote:

Well, if you’re Man Cheaty, that makes me the Arsenal. Took it to the last game and just missed out. But I’ve just started the legal proceedings with ‘Johnny Knuckles’ soon to pay you a visit to sort it out. Hope your defence is strong!
Well done anyway!
Sounds like you bottled it mate. :box:

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:44 pm
goonertux wrote:
wibble wrote:

Well done anyway!
Hello Johnny, I’ve got another one for you. Lives in ‘The Village’! :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonertux wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:04 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
goonertux wrote:
wibble wrote:

Well done anyway!
:lol: :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

goonertux wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:
goonertux wrote:
wibble wrote:

Well done anyway!
I doubt it sunshine. The only paddies round here are either flytipping the country lanes or robbing pensioners of their hard earned.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:03 pm
goonertux wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:
goonertux wrote:
wibble wrote:

Well done anyway!
I doubt it sunshine. The only paddies round here are either flytipping the country lanes or robbing pensioners of their hard earned.
Ooh. You are on thin ice there, little fella. :rubchin:

Context is everything. To say "he's my paddy mate" is irreverent humour, well intentioned, not meant to offend.

But the term "paddy" or "paddies" as you've just used it, is considered an ethnic slur by most intelligent people, and as a racist term by many. And then when you qualified it with insinuations of criminal racial stereotyping by adding "flytipping the country lanes or robbing pensioners of their hard earned" you swerved right into actual racism.

To be honest, the term used that way tends to be only used by ignorant cùnts as an insult.

Much the way you've used it.

As an Irishman, it doesn't upset me too much tbh. It does however upset many Irish people and descendants of Irish people. It would massively upset my mate Paulo and if you said that to his face he'd knock you spark out in a split second. Actually if you manned up and said it to me aggressively I'd spark you just as quick.

But let me educate you a little.

The term "paddy" is viewed in much the same way as calling a black person "boy". The way you've used it there is what's called an ethnophaulism.

Ethnophaulisms are used as insinuations towards members of a given ethnicity or racial group or to refer to them in a derogatory, pejorative, or insulting manner. These were historically often used by the ruling class or Aristocracy who deemed the blacks and the Irish as not worthy of having their own name or culture.

So seeing as you've used the term as an ethnic and racial slur I'm going to give you a week off to think about your future on here.

Do you want to be remembered as that twat that got banned for being a racist - or as the bloke that got upset by a few pisstakes and lashed out with an ethnic slur and got a week's ban, but came back, apologised and went on to try and be a decent intelligent member of the forum?

Your call Bobby. See you in a week.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

To my beloved English comrades on here - lads, while I genuinely appreciate the pm's of good will and even the apologies for Bobby's conduct, can I just say there is absolutely no need for any of you to feel responsible or guilty or whatever about what he posted.

This is not an English / Irish thing at all, and I certainly don't view it that way. And I'd doubt any of the other Irish lads on here would either. It's just some shit comments from one individual who could be American or Australian or whatever for all any of us know about him! Yes, they do have villages in those countries! :wink:

I'm hoping he'll take the week to really think about things and will come back with a better attitude.

Banning is always a last resort and this is a first offence so only a one week ban. It's the usual ban we give for first time racist hatespeech type comments, on the understanding that a second offence means a permanent ban.

Thanks though, lads. Genuinely. 8)

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

DB, not sure why he felt the need to turn it into an Irish slur to be honest. Was just a bit of crack. Anyway, hope he enjoys his ban.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonertux wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 10:42 pm
DB, not sure why he felt the need to turn it into an Irish slur to be honest. Was just a bit of crack. Anyway, hope he enjoys his ban.
Yeah, who knows GT. Some people can dish out the banter but don't like to be on the receiving end. But you know the banter and slagging never goes too far on here so not sure why he felt he had to respond like that.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Didn't know he was on a week's sabbatical from here,till i read this thread ,but thought it was strange that he didn't comeback at me over my resident gardener post early this morning, normally when u have a little dig at him he straight away comes back at ya :lol:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Well that's a shame.

I enjoy reading bobby's posts but only a fucking moron decides to go down the racist road.

I'm hoping it was just a bit of red mist.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:21 am
Well that's a shame.

I enjoy reading bobby's posts but only a fucking moron decides to go down the racist road.

Hopefully, I enjoyed his posts as well,but he does seem to have this tendency to need to be always right when everyone knows tht it's only me who is right all the time 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Well that's a shame.

Thats why it's only a week as a warning. It's to give the guy a chance to show the rest of the forum it was a one off heat of the moment comment and that he isn't an actual racist.

Ironically, a couple years ago we had to give a week's ban to one of what is now Arteta's biggest fans for calling him "a dirty greasy spic". :oops:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:33 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Well that's a shame.

Thats why it's only a week as a warning. It's to give the guy a chance to show the rest of the forum it was a one off heat of the moment comment and that he isn't an actual racist.

Ironically, a couple years ago we had to give a week's ban to one of what is now Arteta's biggest fans for calling him "a dirty greasy spic". :oops:

And it wasnt me lads :wink: :lol: :lol: