Old gits terrace legends

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

Really they just need a good hiding and they will soon keep there mouth shut, they can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

never been involved in too much of that myself, there was an incident when i was ten in the a semi final against manch at villa, loads of mancscum came round the corner obviously up for a fight and there were just a few of us, i had to hide in someones front garden, luckily loads of coppers turned up and sent them packing. you'll never get me to say a bad word about the west midlands constabulary.

I nearly got into a fight in a pub with a very short very pissed watford fan last season, when he got offended that i pushed past him "oh you want to get through do you" the bar was 6 deep and as anyone knows you have to push past or you never get through, i was saying excuse me all the time and therefore couldn't see his problem, i ignored the stupid *word censored* and kept walking when he grabbed my shoulder, i turned round and was about to hit the bloke before he hit me, which he was clearly planning to do, when my dad grabbed me and pushed me out the door. to tell the truth my dad probably protected that bloke and his mates more, there were only about 5 of them in a bar that was packed with gooners.

stats

Post by stats »

Watford fans i noticed were in outside Arsenal pubs with Gunners fans & it seemed like it was all going ok
BTW where did the fight happen before the CC semi final 2nd leg this year as i heard all bout it & stuff
Then a steward said that they knew already that a planned fight was happening at the Chelsea game etc

All_Arsenal_1886

Post by All_Arsenal_1886 »

i once went stamford bridge with my Wolves supporting uncle we sat in the away section, it was a prem match and wolves went 2-1 up it was great unfortunatly chelski won 5 - 2 :evil: but anyways what i wanted to say was there was a big fight between the home and away fans just after the match how did it start well a Wolves fan said if we go down least we wont have to come back to this shit hole :lol: well all hell broke lose i stayed out the way but my uncle wasnt so lucky black eye and cut lip :x his wife wasnt to happy when he got home :lol:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I think Spuds continuing hooligan problem is nothing for them to be proud of. In this day and age I think it looks a little sad and stupid. Like they never grew up. I certainly don't think gooners should rise to it. These days thats for the FA and the police. Hadn't realised they'd come up Holloway Road last year. Didn't see any Spuds outside the ground at either game. In days gone by, meeting up as a mob was more a sign of fear than aggression. The sort of thing you might do going to Stamford Bridge or The Den. So that doesn't say much for Spuds so called hard core!!

stats

Post by stats »

The old bill down the Lame (new nickname now) is useless even a Spurs fan i know said that so it's saying something

All_Arsenal_1886

Post by All_Arsenal_1886 »

The spuds are just pissed because they last won the league in black and white :lol:

Gooneroonie

Post by Gooneroonie »

Spurs away last year at Carlin cup was the most hairy I have seen it. Loads of them taking pics of me on their phones (I was in the first row by home fans and really giving it :-) ) Then making throat slitting gestures... when their ground started emptying we were singing "shit club shit fans" until I realised they had all just gone round to wait for us!!!

Key is to mingle as quickly as possible. However something has to be done down there... they hunt in packs and think nothing of attacking men with kids, etc. It is getting worse there and the papers say NOTHING! Imagine if it was us... back page of the sun "Riot at The Emirates!"

Chelsea last year was fine, we were singing one man went to bed all the way to the ground and still giving it outside... all good banter... exactly how it should be. The days of lots of chelsea hooligans are gone, as they are at arsenal... although obviously there is still a smaller hardcore section...

Gooneroonie

Post by Gooneroonie »

Spurs away last year at Carlin cup was the most hairy I have seen it. Loads of them taking pics of me on their phones (I was in the first row by home fans and really giving it :-) ) Then making throat slitting gestures... when their ground started emptying we were singing "shit club shit fans" until I realised they had all just gone round to wait for us!!!

Key is to mingle as quickly as possible. However something has to be done down there... they hunt in packs and think nothing of attacking men with kids, etc. It is getting worse there and the papers say NOTHING! Imagine if it was us... back page of the sun "Riot at The Emirates!"

Chelsea last year was fine, we were singing one man went to bed all the way to the ground and still giving it outside... all good banter... exactly how it should be. The days of lots of chelsea hooligans are gone, as they are at arsenal... although obviously there is still a smaller hardcore section...

Gooneroonie

Post by Gooneroonie »

I would like to confirm that it was THEM doing the throat slitting gestures and not ME as it read!

jesper arnsbjerg

Post by jesper arnsbjerg »

I don`t see any trouble at all when I`m coming over from Denmark, and I have been coming since the late eighties. I watch about 10-12 arsenal matches a year either home games or champions League away games.
The only time I`ve seen serious trouble before an Arsenal game was at the Galatassaray match in Copenhagen of all places. The turkish threw full beer bottles into big crowds and the police did not know what the hell to do about it.
Lots of fights in the streets all day.
The danish police pressed charges against 34 people after that, half of them vere danes !!!!( Known supporters of FC Copenhagen and Brondby).

Don`t get me wrong I love all the singing and drinking before, during and after matches, but I do see hooliganism as a thing from a shamefull past.
All you brits are so good at partying, I`ts well worth following the Arsenal around whereever I can get my hands on a ticket.
My first match this year will be against Derby, if no CL game comes before that

charliegeorgewhocanhitem wrote:
jesper arnsbjerg wrote:Sorry Guys
I known you want some more athmosphere, but I don`t see any reason to rate Holigans as legends.

Behave yourselves
I understand your point Jesper but if you grew up at a certain point in English history and were into footy, fashion and music then what happened on the terraces was all part of some kind of growing up ritual and the leading faces on the terraces were, rightly or wrongly regarded as famous/legends/whatever. Just think of this as a bunch of old boys remembering their past. Nowadays of course, we're all very sensible and calm :wink:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I was in Copenhagen for the Parma match, but didn't go to the Galatasary game partly because it was obvious it wasn't going to be enjoyable. I'm pleased to say that its many years since I've seen serious trouble at a game. I love being able to take the kids to a match proudly wearing our colours - unlike the early 80's where clubs shirts/scarves were nowhere to be seen. The only exception to that was the FAC semi at Villa Park v ManUre. But even then it was more nasty atmosphere than trouble as such. Admittedly I don't get to many away games, so maybe I'm in for a shock when we go to Derby, Brum & Villa next season!

Going to spuds at the height of the "troubles" was never that bad. We used to happily drink in the Beehive and - thanks to a contact in the ticket office sometimes sat in their main stand. No colours of course, part verbally we never hid the fact that we were gooners! West Ham, Chelsea, Leeds, Liverpool were always worse places to visit. Shame then that things have got so bad now!

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

never liked the spuds, but they've got really bad of late. nasty chav types all over the place there now. no better than animals, a fucking disgrace to their club (yes they're so bad that they've managed to sully the name of a club whose name was already tantamount to shit).

jesper arnsbjerg

Post by jesper arnsbjerg »

These days I know it is possible to wear our colours, be proud of them, and still feel safe. So maybe I shouln`t worry
In recent years I`ve been to PSV 3 times, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Ajax, Bayern twice, Milan, Prague and Madrid.
In Madrid we bought tickets from touts at 200 euros each, and it was a pleasant surprice that they were not fakes, cause there were a lot of fakes around, we sat about ten gooners in Real Madrid area, but there were just a few people who tried to wind us up until Henry scored. Then they all just went quiet. After the game we went to a bar where every song they played became an arsenal song Vertigo became "one nil in the Bernabey" When they played Parklife by blur we were all singing " All The gooners, so many gooners....
No trouble just fab athmosphere

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

I prefer to think of my early visits to the spuds shite hole. I'll never forget my first time in late 72, me and my mate were queueing outside the Paxton Rd end, when off in the distance you could hear some kind of huge noise approaching from afar. I can only describe it as something like the same sound that the soldiers in the film "Zulu" heard when they first heard the approaching Zulu army but before they could see them. The noise got louder and louder and when it got near enough we could hear the chant of "Arsenal, Arsenal, Arsenal" A minute or so later what I can only describe as a huge army of gooners came running round the corner from Tottenham High Rd. Me and my mate just stood there in awe and watched as they streamed past us and I know that time and memory play tricks but I swear it took a full five minutes for them all to pass. When the last of them had gone round the corner we pulled out jaws up from the pavement and followed but too late, when we got round the next corner there were only a few stragglers to be seen so we ended up walking all the way round the ground and back to the Paxton Rd end. When we got in we saw where the vast army had dissapeared to, into the Park Lane end and the Shelf side where we proceeded to batter the fuck out of the spuds for what seemed the entire game. I remember a big no mans land between us and the spuds in the Shelf just before we charged them and when we did they mostly shit themselves. There seemed to be gooners everywhere that day, me and my mate were amongst many more in the Paxton as well that day and to top it all, we won 2-1, oh happy days :D I could go on with memories of away to the spuds over the years but I'll leave it at my first one for now :wink: