John Obi Mikel

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

SPUDMASHER wrote:The robertsons jam jar was the perfect example of this.

Remember the Gollywog? It was never even considered in a racial manner until some fucking politically correct numptycunt (copyrighted) decided it was racist!
Suddenly it became a big deal. Fucking morons should know when to keep their big politically correct gobs shut. :banghead:
100% disagree.

"Golly"...just a stereotype of a wide eyed "Oh Mammy" type of "Negro" media images in the later 19th and early 20th century.

"Wog?" What part of that word is not racist?

It was just one of many in a shameful long line of racial charicatures forced on us.

More on that here -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toms-Coons-Mula ... 966&sr=1-1

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

QuartzGooner wrote:

Remember the Gollywog? It was never even considered in a racial manner until some fucking politically correct numptycunt (copyrighted) decided it was racist!
Suddenly it became a big deal. Fucking morons should know when to keep their big politically correct gobs shut. :banghead:
100% disagree.

"Golly"...just a stereotype of a wide eyed "Oh Mammy" type of "Negro" media images in the later 19th and early 20th century.

It was just one of many in a shameful long line of racial charicatures forced on us.

More on that here -

I am not sure a cartoon character on a jam jar was an attempt to force racism upon us!

:?

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

gus ceasar is a legend wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:

100% disagree.

More on that here -

I am not sure a cartoon character on a jam jar was an attempt to force racism upon us!

:?
That is my point exactly.

Not calling you, Spud, Chunky or myself racist ( I used to get Robertson's jam too), just though a Golly was a bit of fun, but it was just one of many images in a long line of racial conditioning going back to slavery...

The Black woman as a dark skinned big fat jolly housemaid making pancakes for the master's children

or

As a dangerous light skinned nymph who is a threat to the purity of whites.

Seldom did you see a normal regular Black woman in films until much more recently.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

If memory serves me right, the term WOG stood for White Oriental Gentleman back in the days of the Raj....

The word was then hijacked by racists to use in terms of our black brethren....

Anyone remember The Black and White Minstrel Show.....Sing Something Simple.....You would never see that show today........

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Allgunsblazin wrote:If memory serves me right, the term WOG stood for White Oriental Gentleman back in the days of the Raj....

The word was then hijacked by racists to use in terms of our black brethren....

Anyone remember The Black and White Minstrel Show.....Sing Something Simple.....You would never see that show today........
I remember that being on at a time I was at Butlins. About 6/7 yrs old.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

I remember that being on at a time I was at Butlins. About 6/7 yrs old.

They were fuckin scary with all that makeup !!!Weird if yiu ask me !!!

gus ceasar is a legend

Conditioning?

So are you saying there was some subliminal message behind the jam badges?

Should I be trying to read more into the creature on the front of pickled onion monster munch bag?

C'mon Quartz that is going too far!

As for the roles played by actors in films I would suggest that was down to lazy imaginations and scriptwriting rather than the movie industry trying to control us into a certain way of thinking. Maybe there were limited roles for black actors many moons ago but again that could easliy be attributed to poor subject matter either being researched or drawn up. It also has to be said that up until recent history there were only a handful of black people who had much impact on the world as we know it and as a result there were less stories to tell with them in leading roles. That's a fact!

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

gus ceasar is a legend wrote:Conditioning?

So are you saying there was some subliminal message behind the jam badges?

Should I be trying to read more into the creature on the front of pickled onion monster munch bag?

C'mon Quartz that is going too far!

As for the roles played by actors in films I would suggest that was down to lazy imaginations and scriptwriting rather than the movie industry trying to control us into a certain way of thinking. Maybe there were limited roles for black actors many moons ago but again that could easliy be attributed to poor subject matter either being researched or drawn up. It also has to be said that up until recent history there were only a handful of black people who had much impact on the world as we know it and as a result there were less stories to tell with them in leading roles. That's a fact!
That's exactly what it was and is Gus...conditioning.

Obviously the Monster Munch bag is not the same type of conditioning...but any marketing undergad will tell you the colours on food packets are designed to catch your eye.

The films were perhaps in part due to lazy scriptwriting but there was a lot of other more sinister stuff going on..check out Griffith's "Borth of a Nation".

Very much disgaree that it has only been recently that Black people have had an impact on the world.

That is far from a fact -

Two Biblical prophets.

Some of The Pharoahs, plus Akhenaton, Imhotep, Khufu.

Three Popes.

Aesop.

Hannibal.

Tharka, Nubian ruler and master builder.

The rulers of the Ashanti Kingdom.

George Washington Carver.

Louis Latimer.

To name a few.

gus ceasar is a legend

Ok Quartz relatively speaking compared to white people there is a lot fewer.

Also, how many of the people you mentioned above would have made ideal film material which would appeal to the masses?

Three Popes and a Little Baby doesn't have a ring to it!

Nubian the Builder....can we fix it?

What message was behind the gollywog badges Quartz then?

If black people were seen as inferior then why would Robertsons want their jam associated with them through the use of the gollywog symbol?

Radford149

Re: John Obi Mikel

Post by Radford149 »

[quote="Chunky Monkey"]caught drinking driving - When will these over paid wankers ever learn - a young family were virtually wiped out by a Footballer who was caught drink driving

this bastard should be Deported back to Nigeria

grow up

Rosie_titters

Re: John Obi Mikel

Post by Rosie_titters »

Radford149 wrote:
Chunky Monkey wrote:caught drinking driving - When will these over paid wankers ever learn - a young family were virtually wiped out by a Footballer who was caught drink driving

this bastard should be Deported back to Nigeria

grow up
Thats big for the biggest cock on here - why don't you fucking grow up

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

If black people were seen as inferior then why would Robertsons want their jam associated with them through the use of the gollywog symbol?

It is the "Black people are those funny people with big eyes and big lips and fuzzy hair who laugh a lot and dance around all day shukkin' and jivin' on the porch" angle.

Figures of fun. Simple people.

That kind of joke carried on for a lot longer than it's 1920's and 30's heyday.

Watch Faulty Towers again.

Scene where John Cleese goes to visit Connie Booth in hospital, and he calls for the doctor.

Doctor comes out to see him and shock horror! He is Black!

Cue laughter.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

QuartzGooner wrote:

It is the "Black people are those funny people with big eyes and big lips and fuzzy hair who laugh a lot and dance around all day shukkin' and jivin' on the porch" angle.

Figures of fun. Simple people.

That kind of joke carried on for a lot longer than it's 1920's and 30's heyday.

Watch Faulty Towers again.

Scene where John Cleese goes to visit Connie Booth in hospital, and he calls for the doctor.

Doctor comes out to see him and shock horror! He is Black!

Cue laughter.
Programmes like Love Thy Neighbour, Till death us do part & On The Buses - were shows from the 70s - times have changed nobody at that time found it offensive calling colour people stereotypical names - now there would be an outcry -

you can't compare 30 years ago to now - the Robinsons gollywog jar of jam were back in a time when people didn't care as much and didn't take life so seriously

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

I don't believe for a moment that Chunky Monkey was being racist.

If the drunk driver in question happened to be white, and from Finland, he would have said that the bastard should be deported back to Finland.

Deportation is an excellent deterrent. And quite fair, in my opinion. I would expect to be deported, myself, if I broke the law in a foreign land.

This thread has raised some very interesting views on racism. Obviously racism is wrong. And it is to be found in all parts of the world.

I was very pleased that a black guy became president of the USA. I was less pleased, when it emerged that while around 45% of white Americans voted for him, the figure for black voters was well over 90%. Were those black voters being racist?

I heard a joke recently which pointed out that black people are doing terrifically well, these days. President, actors, athletes, etc, all at the top of their chosen professions. The punchline was that "Michael Jackson must be kicking himself". On the face of it, you may think that is a racist joke. To me, it was a take-the-piss-out-off-Michael Jackson joke. Jackson ought to be proud of being black. Why is he trying to make himself white?

We should all be proud of of our roots. Black, white, yellow, brown, mixture, whatever.

Seems to me that too many people are oversensitive. If I say that I'm proud of being white and British, then I am automatically a racist.

Which is total bollocks.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

olgitgooner wrote:I don't believe for a moment that Chunky Monkey was being racist.

If the drunk driver in question happened to be white, and from Finland, he would have said that the bastard should be deported back to Finland.

Deportation is an excellent deterrent. And quite fair, in my opinion. I would expect to be deported, myself, if I broke the law in a foreign land.

This thread has raised some very interesting views on racism. Obviously racism is wrong. And it is to be found in all parts of the world.

I was very pleased that a black guy became president of the USA. I was less pleased, when it emerged that while around 45% of white Americans voted for him, the figure for black voters was well over 90%. Were those black voters being racist?

I heard a joke recently which pointed out that black people are doing terrifically well, these days. President, actors, athletes, etc, all at the top of their chosen professions. The punchline was that "Michael Jackson must be kicking himself". On the face of it, you may think that is a racist joke. To me, it was a take-the-piss-out-off-Michael Jackson joke. Jackson ought to be proud of being black. Why is he trying to make himself white?

We should all be proud of of our roots. Black, white, yellow, brown, mixture, whatever.

Seems to me that too many people are oversensitive. If I say that I'm proud of being white and British, then I am automatically a racist.

yep correct if it was Ballack, Vidic, Berbetov or anyone i would be infavour of deporting them - if caught drink driving we need to make examples of these people not dish out pathetic fines - what is £500 fine and a 6 month banned for someone on £40k a week -
Which is total bollocks.