England's Number One?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Martin Hayes

England's Number One?

Post by Martin Hayes »

I'd be happy for Manuel to be given an opportunity...would you?

RNTGOONER

Post by RNTGOONER »

it would not bother me as he is a gooner, but i think it will piss off alot of other teams fans

Captain Fabregas

Post by Captain Fabregas »

better than Calamity James

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

TBH if this happens, it could spark a chain reaction, loads of players will be queueing up to play for another country.

No offence to Manuel, but what exactly makes him English at all? He gets some citizenship thing, to me that still doesn't make you 1 percent English.

Could you imagine having someone in your dressing room with a foreign accent, having no English roots or heritage who magically changed his nationality?

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

:?:

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

Could'nt give a shit really, the only thing that concerns me is what he does for Arsenal and atm he's in mid table in the league of our keepers, not as good as Bob Wilson, Jennings (yes the ****, great keeper) and Seaman but better than Malcom Webster (one for the youngens there :wink: ), Geoff Barnett, Another one to google if you're under 40 :lol: and Georgey Woods :shock: :?

Martin Hayes

Post by Martin Hayes »

Could you imagine having someone in your dressing room with a foreign accent, having no English roots or heritage who magically changed his nationality?
Lukas Podolski
Miroslav Klose
Tony Cascarino

There are plenty more...

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

Wouldn't class them as English really though, don't agree with changing nationality just for living there. Load of bollocks.

Martin Hayes

Post by Martin Hayes »

Podolski and Klose both represent Germany...but are Polish born and bred.

Cascarino has no connections to Ireland whatsoever...

John Barnes was born and raised in Jamaica.

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

So if I was able to survive on Mars and I went to live there would that make me alien to humans? :lol:

tinpot lane

Post by tinpot lane »

Wouldn't like to see it. Too much publicity and pressure forced upon him. Plus if he was to make a costly mistake, everyone would be question his commitment. :roll:

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

With Charlie on this one, I don't give a flying shit about England, Arsenal mean more to me.... would rather this Alumunia for England thing would die a death.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

Martin Hayes wrote:Podolski and Klose both represent Germany...but are Polish born and bred.

Cascarino has no connections to Ireland whatsoever...

John Barnes was born and raised in Jamaica.

You're either just incorrect in relation to the reason for writing these names or being slightly obtuse.

Podolski and Klose both went to Germany as young children, with Klose's father I think being part German and as such were rasied for more or less all of there football and school life in the German system. Barnes also came to England as a boy and also spent alot of time here going through the schools system and was integrated into English life as a young boy. Cascarino was your "slightly obtuse" choice - being that you surely know that this case has nothing to do with what is being discussed.

You cannot compare any of these, especially those who go to their countries as young children (Podolski at 2 or 3 ) and are therefore assimilated into that country.

Other than that...great list
:-P

RNTGOONER

Post by RNTGOONER »

Hargreeves? :oops: :lol:

RaM

Post by RaM »

Should only be allowed to play for a country for one of two reasons:

1. Blood (And I mean strong blood ties. None of that bullshit like "my great grandmother spent an hour in this country while her plane refueled once"... :roll: )

2. Birthplace

No other reasons should be accepted for representing a national team.