Arsenal fans need to wake up and smell the roses

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
tone0504

Arsenal fans need to wake up and smell the roses

Post by tone0504 »

I cannnot believe that so many Arsenal fans want a new manager.
Are you having a laugh?
Its true that we need a new centre back and midfield hard man and frustrating to see the likes of Diarra sold on without being given a chance.
However, Arsene Wenger has performed absolute miracles just keeping us in contention on a net spend of 5m over the last 5 years (before Arshavin). Could Fergie do that? Course not because he has the luxury of buying who he wants for 20m or 30m. The year he bought cheaply, he bought the likes of Bellion, Djemba-Djemba, Miller etc. Enough said.
Anyone can buy a Ferdinand, a Rooney, a Berbatov. Wenger doesn't have the money to do that and because of the new stadium costs has had to bring in the youngsters.
People forget how well we played last year (until the Eduardo horror tackle and Gallas hissy fit).
If he leaves because he feels unwanted, you will have only yourselves to blame and it will be interesting to see his replacement manage on 1m per year. If he stays, its pretty certain he won't hang around after 2010.
You really do need to understand the reality of our situation................

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

At last someone living in the real world. Am fighting a losing battle with a deluded fan in the discussion thread above this one (on Ade's footy focus interview). If Wenger leaves because of these muppets the irony is that they'll be the first to give up their season tickets!

basilbrush14

Post by basilbrush14 »

hatemanu99 wrote:At last someone living in the real world. Am fighting a losing battle with a deluded fan in the discussion thread above this one (on Ade's footy focus interview). If Wenger leaves because of these muppets the irony is that they'll be the first to give up their season tickets!
Great, then I can finally get a season ticket!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

"Its true that we need a new centre back and midfield hard man and frustrating to see the likes of Diarra sold on without being given a chance. "

I think you'll find that Arsene Wenger tried to keep him - but he (Diarra) walked into AW's office Demanding either to play instead of Flamoney or be given a transfer - Diarra (ie: Diarrohea) really did act like a right C*NT - andgave AW no option - play me or sell me - and so it was either break up the Flamoney and Cesc's mid-field partnership or....

arrogant little shiot - the only thing I'm sorry about is that it was Arsenal that didn't get the £24mill for him instead of pompey :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

MT

Post by MT »

hatemanu99, you are a self righteous p***, did I say W
enger should leave? How do you know who will give up there season ticket? All I said was that fans have the right to express an opinion.
Is it right for Wenger to heap the praise and none of the criticism?

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

I'm sorry this has got so personal MT. I've never disagreed people have a right to express opinions, all I'm saying is that there are more constructive, or perhaps better defined as less destructive, ways of doing it. In my opinion. Leaving early and booing during the games are destructive to team moral. They're human beings like us.
I'm making an unfounded assumption that many of the vocal dissenters haven't been fans long enough to remember we have been also-rans before, and will be again. I don't think they realise Wenger has his hands tied by the budgetary constraints. Their antipathy towards him may drive him out and then the club would be screwed.
For the record I'm not assuming anything about you personally so please stop taking it that way. What I have said is that I don't think many of your views are realistic in today's world i.e. players will always try and look after No 1, and that you haven't attempted to understand my viewpoint. I've not disagreed with much of what you've said all along.
Admittedly I assumed, in a state of anger, certain things about your grammar. I apologise for that but when someone won't back down one iota, it's difficult not to think you're arguing with someone less educated (please check your last post - typos I can accept but consistently poor grammar I can't).

tone0504

Post by tone0504 »

I have not read any of the other comments between MT and Hatemanu99 but would like to pick up on the MT comment whether its right that Wenger can have the praise but not the criticism.
The thing is, the criticism is over the top.
Have a look at the money we have spent (net)nin the last 5 years compared to Liverpool, Chelsea, ManU, Aston V, Tottenham etc.
We shouldn't even be finishing in the top 4 ,let alone CL & FA Cup semi finals.
I challenge anyone out there to name me any manager in the world who could keep Arsenal challenging for honours on such little money (I repeat 5m in 5 years-thats one million per year folks!!)

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

hatemanu99 wrote:At last someone living in the real world. Am fighting a losing battle with a deluded fan in the discussion thread above this one (on Ade's footy focus interview). If Wenger leaves because of these muppets the irony is that they'll be the first to give up their season tickets!
It's likely to be the fans of Arsene FC rather than Arsenal Football Club that will give up their season tickets. Most of us 'muppets' remember that there was a club before Mr. Wenger and, believe it or not, there will be one long afterwards. :roll:

REB

Post by REB »

OneBardGooner wrote:"Its true that we need a new centre back and midfield hard man and frustrating to see the likes of Diarra sold on without being given a chance. "
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
a quick question for you. last summer every gooner on the planet knew where we were lacking in quality, and the manager done nothing about it and now with summer aproaching we have the exact same problems, now who is in charge of the football side of things :?:

so who is too blame , the supporters for voicing an opinion or the manager for doing nothing about it.

tone0504

Post by tone0504 »

To answer the last question, you have to say that Arsene should have bought some replacements in and hopefully he realises that now. It was good to see today that we are linked with Hangeland as that is exactly the type we need.
My beef is with the 'fans' who want Wenger to go. He has his weaknesses (blind spots if you like) but I would rather have him than anyone else as no-one else could deliver such good football and keep us up there on such a meagre transfer budget.
Unless you can name someone? (remember 1m per year net spend in last 5 years)

l.a.gooner

Post by l.a.gooner »

i've been trying to figure out why absolutely everyone could tell we needed a stronger middle core of the park (CB, MF) and yet arsène stood pat. the only thing i can guess is that we don't see the players in training every day the way he does, and he truly believed they were on the verge of coming together. i think this season might have shown arsène that he can be wrong, or that his instinct was not spot on about player development, and so he will buy the way every fan wants him to in the summer. he said as much when he said "the side does not need anymore youth"...

i hope he never leaves. the thing that gets me is that not one of these people who want arsène out have ever mentioned a possible replacement. who do these people want? curbishley? pardew? dowie? paul le guen? if you really want arsène out, give me a suitable replacement for him.