Arsenal sign Ajax stopper

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
hadareud

Post by hadareud »

tinpot lane wrote:
hadareud wrote:he played in the Champions League.
When? :?
5 games in 2005/06
2 games the season after (though that's probably the qualifiers, iirc they went out that year).

tinpot lane

Post by tinpot lane »

hadareud wrote:
tinpot lane wrote:
hadareud wrote:he played in the Champions League.
When? :?
5 games in 2005/06
2 games the season after (though that's probably the qualifiers, iirc they went out that year).
Everton got knocked out in the qualifiers, and i don't think he signed for them till 2006? :?

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Do people rate Phil Jagielka as a commanding centre half?

rtpgooner

Post by rtpgooner »

tinpot lane wrote:
rtpgooner wrote:He is 5ft 11. IMO not what we need. We need a tall dominant center half. if this is true, then i dont see this as an improvement on our current pairing of gallas and toure. I want us to buy lescott :banghead: :banghead:
Eggsactly what we need. Another average player with no experience of Champions league football or any other major competition :roll:
Average? i couldn't disagree more. IMO lescott in the past couple of seasons has been one of the best center halfs in the league, and with him everton generally have had a good defensive record.

He hasn't played champions league football, but more importantly has played in the premier league and would help us, instead of getting a center half, who perhaps might struggle to fit into the team straight away, adapt to the pace of the league etc. There is not many good center backs our there avaliable but lescott, who is good in the air, good in both boxes, can play left back and center back, was the highest goalscoring defender in the league last season. he would give us options to rest clichy, and a physical presence in the defence.

Im not sure what others think about lescott, but for me he should be our number 1 target

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

You are having a laugh, take away his goals and he's no better then what's here now, Jagielka is better (and he's 5 `11 by the way)

GunnerDude

Post by GunnerDude »

8 ft 5 in

:lol: :lol: :lol:

projoe

Post by projoe »

hes had another sudden growth spurt, hes now:

Height 2.94 m (9 ft 7+1⁄2 in) according to wikipedia :lol:

rtpgooner

Post by rtpgooner »

Gunnersaurus wrote:You are having a laugh, take away his goals and he's no better then what's here now, Jagielka is better (and he's 5 `11 by the way)
Jagielka is a quality center half i totally agree but he has just signed a new contract along with yobo.

Like you say its not always got to do with how tall you are, but obviously it helps. I believe the type of center half we need is a vidic,terry,alex to partner what we already have. So gallas/toure sweep up, cover behind and hopefuly our new center back competes in the air in games with physical direct sides

hadareud

Post by hadareud »

Rob

Post by Rob »

We've been linked heavily with him but whether this is true or not..... ?????

Don't forget Big Phil wants to stay at Milan, so if a price can be agreed that's one gone and I am pretty sure that one or both of Gallas and Silvestre will leave, so we need two defenders to come in.

rtpgooner

Post by rtpgooner »

i certainly hope so :lol: but i guess it all comes down to the £££££ we have

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Lescott is an excellent defender and is good in the air....whether he's for us or not is another matter...

ONE thing that IS for certain - if there is a CB out there (in footie world) that IS any good and we can afford him AW will have him on his radar and do all he can to bring him toArsenal...same goes for a Mid-field play breaker....

All the (so called) best players are already taken - yes, we need a Vidic type defender ugly and brave - go in for anything....But if , IF there is one we can afford AW will get him...he has worked miracles on a shit budget - have Faith Gooners..he knows we need bolstering in the Defence - hence the Poll on Arsenal.com about which postion/s need to be signed...

:barscarf:

OOOH TO

OOOH TO BE

OOOH TO BE

A GOONER !
:barscarf:

spud c*nts can only dream :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

GunnerDude wrote:Image

8 ft 5 in

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Isn't it Gavin from Gavin & Stacey??? :D

Bergkamp-Genius

Post by Bergkamp-Genius »

Gunnersaurus wrote:Never heard of him tbh, had a look on the scouting network that is you tube and he seems to score from a lot of corners.

5 11 is not a midget and being dominant in the air is more about attacking the ball then being tall, look at Zat Knight, he's tall and shit, Baresi was small and he was one of the all time greats.

Probably a nothing story anyhow.
You can attack the ball all you like but if your up against a player that is 3 or 4 inches taller than you and knows how to use his height you are going to get dominated in the air.

Baresi was a sweeper not a traditional centre half he played behind a big man, he certainly wasn't reknowned for his aerial ability and he never played in a league that uses the aerial bombardment tactic as much and as effectively as half the teams in the premiership do.

I know it's hard to believe of late but we are a top team and we should be looking for players that fill all the requirements of our needs, there is no point in us looking for players with inherant weaknesses, yes some players at 5'11 are better in the air than some at 6'3 but we shouldn't be looking for a 6'3 that is shit in the air, anyone at 6'2 or 6'3 who is strong in the air is always going to be better in the air than someone of 5'11, it's not rocket science

hadareud

Post by hadareud »

not every centre back has to be tall and not every good centre back in the league is tall. Carvalho is an inch taller than Vermaelen, and his size hardly hurt him in this league.

It all depends who the second centre half we bring in is. If he's tall then there's no problems. We could have two smaller ones (Toure/Gallas and this guy) and two tall ones (Djourou and the other new guy) + Song.

He can certainly head a ball by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KrQJ3oyW_k (against a Premiership defence no less).

It's all speculation at this point, who knows if this is true. We're certainly looking at the guy though, that much is true.