Sunderland supporters

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jumpers For Goalposts

Sunderland supporters

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

I hope this thread is different enough from the upcoming Sunderland Match Thread and that it won't be deleted . . . . . . .

I have always had a great respect for Sunderland supporters and I wonder if anyone else on here remembers the away game at Roker Park in May 1991, just before we won the Title??

It was a 0-0 draw, live on ITV at 5ish and it pissed down on our uncovered terrace throughout the match - I've never been so wet watching football. I was still soaked when we got back to Highbury at about 2.30am!!

The banter with the Mackems in the main stand to our left was brilliant (and good-natured) all through the match, especially the fat bloke with a disastrous barnet. Leaving the ground after the match, I can recall our coaches (about 15 of them) pulling away and driving down a small street lined with Mackems.

I thought we were gonna get the bricked windows treatment but they stood and applauded us and shouted "Good luck for the Title". I can't imagine many other teams doing that and I can't recall it ever happening anywhere else.

It's no surprise to me that safcftm's posts on here are easily the best by any guest - it's obvious that he is a top man and he knows a great deal about football.

Oh and now I've been nice about you, please put in a shit performance next week!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Why would it be deleted?

Locked or relegated maybe, but not deleted... :wink:

I agree, that of all the away fans I've ever bumped into most Mackems seemed sound lads. SAFCFTM is a quality poster I agree. Knows his footy too. And he's a REALIST!! 8) :wink:

Hope he comes along to the fans game and introduces himself.

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

safc is a top bloke..Hope hes coming. :barscarf:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I walked in to a home game against Fulham a couple of years back with some of their fans. Thoroughly decent bunch of blokes they were too. They spoke very highly of us and the stadium etc. and said they always looked forward to coming here more than any other away game.

Every so often you get that type of thing. Even with the Heebs. After the 4-4 game last season I was on the tube with my nephew stuck in a carriage full of them. Some were getting a bit mouthy and wanted a dig at me. The others turned on them and told them to shut the fuck up and grow up. 1/2 an hour we sat there and I was chatting with a couple of their fans. They were really decent fellas. It wasn't until the end when they said about losing and I corrected them and told them that they had drawn. So they weren't being nice because of the result either. They didn't believe me at first when I told them.

Every club has its arseholes, some more than others, but I think most football supporters are decent people.

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

the thing i remember most from that game was a blinding save from big dave, tight match but i think armstrong had a pop from distance and seaman pushed it behind to preserve a point for us
happy days :barscarf:

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

greengooner wrote:the thing i remember most from that game was a blinding save from big dave, tight match but i think armstrong had a pop from distance and seaman pushed it behind to preserve a point for us
Gary Owers I do believe?

Jumpers For Goalposts

greengooner wrote:the thing i remember most from that game was a blinding save from big dave, tight match but i think armstrong had a pop from distance and seaman pushed it behind to preserve a point for us
Spot on my son!!!! It was going in to his top left corner and the other end of the ground and he tipped it up and over almost after it had gone past him. Brilliant save - not quite as good as the Sheff Utd FA Cup semi save but not far behind.

It was the highlight of a pretty awful match but no-one cared as it meant still only 1 defeat that season and we were that much closer to the title. Happy days indeed!!

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

was that the game when we wore the yellow away shirt with the white home shorts? Fucking looked awful!

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I walked in to a home game against Fulham a couple of years back with some of their fans. Thoroughly decent bunch of blokes they were too. They spoke very highly of us and the stadium etc. and said they always looked forward to coming here more than any other away game.

Every so often you get that type of thing. Even with the Heebs. After the 4-4 game last season I was on the tube with my nephew stuck in a carriage full of them. Some were getting a bit mouthy and wanted a dig at me. The others turned on them and told them to shut the fuck up and grow up. 1/2 an hour we sat there and I was chatting with a couple of their fans. They were really decent fellas. It wasn't until the end when they said about losing and I corrected them and told them that they had drawn. So they weren't being nice because of the result either. They didn't believe me at first when I told them.

Every club has its arseholes, some more than others, but I think most football supporters are decent people.
Don't be hard on yourself Spuddie

Jumpers For Goalposts

I'm racking my brains (doesn't take me long these days) and I think you're right on the white shorts thing as the Mackems had black shorts that season, so we couldn't have worn the blue ones.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

I'm a bit young to remember much about the match in question (being 7 years old at the time!) but have always enjoyed arsenal v sunderland games and have many memories of them. As I have mentioned on here before, my best mate supports the Arsenal, so it has always been a big one when we play each other (we are convinced that we are destined to meet in the FA Cup Final before long but, alas, it is yet to happen!)

There have, however, been lots of memories in the more recent past- the carling cup win for sunderland at highbury, the 1-1 game at the SoL (kanu scored, schwarz scored, vieira hit a penalty over the bar and we thought arca had won it for us in the last minute, only to see the off side flag) and of course the game where both sets of fans gave Henry a standing ovation

Always good atmospheres at the games- my mate has been in pretty much every pub in sunderland with his arsenal top on pre and post match and never had any bother, which is something i have heard from lots of other gooners who have made the trip, and i've never had any bother down arsenal, even when it was blatantly obvious to most of the north bank that i was supporting SAFC during our 3-1 defeat in the last game we played at highbury- I'd managed to blend in but i saw SAFC run out at the start of the second half and so I stood up and applauded, expecting that arsenal would be coming out aswell. Alas they werent so i was stood on my own, clapping the lads out, and had to make sure that i stood back up to applaud the arsenal when they eventually made their way out to avoid any bother. I got a few comments, but all were good natured (the fact that we were playing shit probably helped mind!)

No doubt the upcoming game will be an enjoyable trip as well, especially since all but pretty much our most optimistic fans have pretty much decided we're going to get turned over and so are just going down for a laugh!

I think i am getting into london early on the saturday (about 9 or so, but not sure what airport we're arriving at. I know we are flying back from london luton but it migh tbe gatwick we arrive at). Assuming we get accommodation sorted somewhere near to the stadium I will definitely endeavour to get across to the fans match to cheer on the sunderland lads :wink:

After that (if arsenal ever get round to sending me my tickets) its into the home end again. Then a night out in london beckons, no doubt with my mate ripping the piss the entire time :(

Looking forward to it, and hope to meet a few of the online gooners whilst I'm there :barscarf:

GallasVoice

Post by GallasVoice »

do you remember the last game of the 2008 league season at sunderland...

when we sang non-stop for the last 15 minutes....

'we love you arsenal we do' :barscarf:

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

Not had much direct experience of the Mackems but I can say the people of the north-east in general are awesome. I was at uni in Newcastle and went to all our games up there. Wore my Arsenal shirt around town and always had good banter with the Geordies as well as a few beers. I'll always remember the '98 cup final when we played footy with them in the Wembley car park and the beers after.

Look forward to welcoming the Mackems down too.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

We had a client come into work earlier this week from Egypt. He spoke to our installation manager who is a Geordie. We had to interpret everything as he thought the geordie was a foreigner. Bloody hilarious it was and needless to say he has had the piss ripped out of him since :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

REB

Post by REB »

always had a soft spot for sunderland as do a lot of irish people over one of there greatest players ever been from cork, safcftm will know of him.

charlie hurley ....

ftm

fuck the mags :barscarf: