Defending at corners the Wenger way

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Eboue-Why?

Defending at corners the Wenger way

Post by Eboue-Why? »

So have you noticed our leader's new plan when the oppo have a corner? It was tried at Chelsea last week and lead to us letting the (alleged) racist score (although I'm convinced that it was an own goal by Mertersacker) and again against WBA. Yep, let's put one player on one post, normally Arteta, and then instead of letting him stay on the post, let's have him walk towards the middle of the goal line instead.

What the fook is wrong with the good old fashioned 2 players on 2 posts? First it was zonal marking and now some wild idea about moving off the post being better than hanging onto it.

It makes me want to......oh yes.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Still Arsene knows...

armchair

Post by armchair »

Thing about it is too, when Arteta wanders into the middle of the nets hes behind shezza, almost in his way. Was doing the same thing against WBA, I dont get it at all? :?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Yup, I was going to say he did exactly the same against West Brom, TV clearly showed Arteta had moved into the middle of the goal behind Chezza. Someone needs to have a word ASAP because that WILL cost us again!

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

yeah i too wasn't happy.

wba almost scored from their 2nd corner, really need to sort that out. Think two WBA players were left with Kos not really applying any pressure.

richpye

Re: Defending at corners the Wenger way

Post by richpye »

Eboue-Why? wrote:So have you noticed our leader's new plan when the oppo have a corner? It was tried at Chelsea last week and lead to us letting the (alleged) racist score (although I'm convinced that it was an own goal by Mertersacker) and again against WBA. Yep, let's put one player on one post, normally Arteta, and then instead of letting him stay on the post, let's have him walk towards the middle of the goal line instead.

What the fook is wrong with the good old fashioned 2 players on 2 posts? First it was zonal marking and now some wild idea about moving off the post being better than hanging onto it.

Still Arsene knows...
Do you honestly believe that was Wenger's coaching??? I mean honestly?

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

richpye wrote:
Eboue-Why? wrote:So have you noticed our leader's new plan when the oppo have a corner? It was tried at Chelsea last week and lead to us letting the (alleged) racist score (although I'm convinced that it was an own goal by Mertersacker) and again against WBA. Yep, let's put one player on one post, normally Arteta, and then instead of letting him stay on the post, let's have him walk towards the middle of the goal line instead.

Still Arsene knows...
Well he clearly hasn't coached it out of him since the chelsea game..

But really, why would you not believe that an abomination of a set-piece defensive routine is down to Wenger? In case you haven't noticed we've been shit at them for years.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

LDB wrote:
richpye wrote:

Still Arsene knows...
Well he clearly hasn't coached it out of him since the chelsea game..

But really, why would you not believe that an abomination of a set-piece defensive routine is down to Wenger? In case you haven't noticed we've been shit at them for years.
Arsene Wenger, the coach of the decade, the man who has a say about everything that happens at Arsenal Football Club, not responsible for zonal marking and how many players defend the posts?
I reckon it's another attempt to try and show that after 15 years......Arsene (still) knows

stg

Post by stg »

How many goals have we let in from corners this season?

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

There is 'a way'?

I thought it was simply blind panic!

8)

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

All I know is, after 10 PL games, we've conceded more goals than ever before. This is also the first time ever in the PL that we've had a negative GD at this stage!! Impressive stuff......NOT!

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

don't worry lads, the boss said that set pieces are "easy to correct", we'll be sorted very soon :coffeespit: :roll:

Captain Fabregas

Post by Captain Fabregas »

TeeCee wrote:All I know is, after 10 PL games, we've conceded more goals than ever before. This is also the first time ever in the PL that we've had a negative GD at this stage!! Impressive stuff......NOT!
pretty sure we've got a positive GD.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

As the Eboue-Why? says, we should stick to two players on two posts, it is common sense and worked well in the days of Dixon and Cole.

armchair

Post by armchair »

QuartzGooner wrote:As the Eboue-Why? says, we should stick to two players on two posts, it is common sense and worked well in the days of Dixon and Cole.
Yea, its not rocket science - a man on each post and stay there till the dangers gone. Simples :lol:

RaM

Post by RaM »

Thought the exact same thing when I saw Arteta wander off the post. It's obviously planned...I just can't see what it's planning for. :oops: