If you had to pick one legend.......

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Re: If you had to pick one legend.......

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

flash gunner wrote:
charliegeorgewhocanhitem wrote:No way I could choose just one, I can only list a few from my time and those who remember the likes of James and Bastin (Oldgitgooner? :wink: ) could probably add a few more.
Farnk Mclintock
Charlie George
John Radford
Geordie Armstrong
Liam Brady
David O'leary
Tony Adams
Ian Wright
Thierry Henry
Dennis Bergkamp
Did you ever see George Eastham play Chaz? My dad used to talk about him and what a great player he was

No mate, before my time :wink: My first season was 1968/69. About my only remaining memory of that season is losing to Swindon in the league cup final :cry:

Vinny1967

Post by Vinny1967 »

Of the players I have seen Brady, Henry, Adams and Bergkamp.

Would have to go for Bergkamp...........Pure class :barscarf:

Big Sac

Post by Big Sac »

Sorry Eboue-Why? I don't mean to steal your thread but just add a bit to it.

Who do people think of previous players would be most useful in this current team if you could bring back one?
A rock solid defender, a powerful midfielder or a magician up front helping with/slamming in the goals?
It doesn't have to be who is your favourite just who would best improve the team we have now.

I think I would have to go with Vierra.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

difficult, need to pick someone who was:-

loyal
a winner
a leader
a true Arsenal man through and through
never brought shame upon our great club's name

Tony Adams straight away springs to mind, but he's alcholosim, going to jail and fighting night clubs, has brought shame to the club.

Bergkamp - A winner, but not a leader or a true Arsenal man, through and through

so for Me it's Bob 'Willow' Wilson :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

littlefire

Post by littlefire »

charliegeorgewhocanhitem wrote:
No mate, before my time :wink: My first season was 1968/69. About my only remaining memory of that season is losing to Swindon in the league cup final :cry:
Fcuk. Me too. Great team sheet Charlie. But no PV4?

PS You still going?

:twisted:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Big Sac wrote:Sorry Eboue-Why? I don't mean to steal your thread but just add a bit to it.

Who do people think of previous players would be most useful in this current team if you could bring back one?
A rock solid defender, a powerful midfielder or a magician up front helping with/slamming in the goals?
It doesn't have to be who is your favourite just who would best improve the team we have now.

This team lacks a winning mentality more than anything else, so TA6 or PV4 would be the obvious two. I can't imagine an Arsenal side containing those two getting an 8-2 dicking at OT and taking it on the chin. Big Tone used to love a trip to OT - we invariably had a punch-up up there and that's when you needed men like Tony, Martin Keown and Vieira

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I can't choose. It is too hard to say.

Too many players to pick from who have pulled on the red n white and played their heart out for the club!

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Big Sac wrote:Sorry Eboue-Why? I don't mean to steal your thread but just add a bit to it.

Oh that's right, go ahead and steal my thread why don't you :wink:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:I can't choose. It is too hard to say.

Too many players to pick from who have pulled on the red n white and played their heart out for the club!
Same as that.

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

littlefire wrote:
charliegeorgewhocanhitem wrote:
Fcuk. Me too. Great team sheet Charlie. But no PV4?

PS You still going?

:twisted:

Yes mate, wondering why more and more as the years go by tho. Just not the same any more for me but my love for the Arsenal will never cease :barscarf:
Yes, I could add PV4 to that list among a few others, might leave Ian Ure off tho :wink:

Deise Gooner

Post by Deise Gooner »

For me it has to be Henry, im not really old enough to remember Adams as i only got to see the letter stages of his career. The way Henry speaks abut Arsenal, you can really see that he holds the club dear and to me thats what makes him a legend. For a player to be able to connect to the club on an emotional level like I do is rare in football and the fact that he was one of the best players Arsenal or England has ever seen puts him up there too.

frankbutcher

Post by frankbutcher »

Wrighty.

RossieGooner

Post by RossieGooner »

Eboue-Why? wrote:.......and one legend only, which Arsenal player over the last 100 years would come top of your list? It's a word used all too easily in the football world I know but who's your choice for the ultimate Arsenal legend?
Dunno bout 100 years (and bit stupid to ask :) as no one is over 100 on here to contradict ya)........ but Dennis for me.

Bergkamp in case there was any confusion....................

LeGinge (Northern Branch)

Post by LeGinge (Northern Branch) »

Barriecuda wrote:Henry.

All-time top scorer. An Invincible. Came back 8 years later at the age of 33(?) and made an impact both on the field and in the dressing room. Made people believe in Arsenal again during a tumultuous period. Has been loyal to the club during his departure and continues to be involved with us, and likely will be again too in the future. He has a sparkle in his eye when he talks about Arsenal and loves this club immensely.

Some people aren't born in London, nor were lucky enough to start at Arsenal. I don't think "one club" should be the deciding factor. However, I wasn't able to see Adams in his prime but I know his loyalty to Arsenal was paramount in his time.

Pat Rice is an honorable mention. Non-goalscoring players will never be remembered like forwards, and he is too humble and quiet to ever be a spotlight taker. But his service to the club has been second to none, and he's given everything both as player and personnel.
Good post. I agree, some people aren't lucky enough to be born in London, England or wherever and IMO it makes the one club argument not the be all and end all. That said...

Henry will always be my favourite player for the shear excuberence (I definitely didn't spell that correctly) and quality.

But in the few years I've been watching the best player would have to be Bergkamp! Greatest player to have ever worn our shrt.

BUT! The number one legend has to Adams. He captained a league winning side at the age of 21! I was 10 in 88/89 and I remember wanting to be Adams. Loved the man and got to meet and have a picture with him when I was 12 at a Roy Castle Soccer School. Still one of my most prized posessions (although my mum has it!)

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Dennis