Questions for Kevin Richardson

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Mike1
Site Admin

Questions for Kevin Richardson

Post by Mike1 »

Following on from the interview with Chris Whyte in the current issue of The Gooner, we are hoping to interview 80s midfielder Kevin Richardson next.

Please post any questions you'd like posed to Kevin here and we'll do our best to get some answers.

I Hate Hleb

Re: Questions for Kevin Richardson

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Was there a feeling in and around the squad that they could genuinely challenge for the title that season or did it come as a bit of a surprise to find themselves up at the top at the business end of the season?

Also, did he think he would win another title after leaving Everton and how high does Anfield rate in the list of his triumphs?

Finally, did he feel his qualities and role in the side were appreciated by the Arsenal fans at the time?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Was there a feeling in and around the squad that they could genuinely challenge for the title that season or did it come as a bit of a surprise to find themselves up at the top at the business end of the season?

Also, did he think he would win another title after leaving Everton and how high does Anfield rate in the list of his triumphs?

Finally, did he feel his qualities and role in the side were appreciated by the Arsenal fans at the time?

Well that's more or less everything asked by Johhny Stoner, The Question Boy... :roll: :banghead:

:wink:

Mike, can you ask him if he ever had any real run ins with George?

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

In hindsight, does he regret his 'tache?

Why was he only at the club for such a short time, considering he was a vital part of the team and in good form, always worked hard?

Did he find it easier to partner Thomas or Davis in midfield?

We know that Graham spent ages working with the defenders in training, but how did he coach the midfielders?

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Can you ask him about that injury in the 89-90th minute at Anfield in 89, please. I've always wondered what was up and whether he was trying to win a few more minutes injury time. I'd also like to know the reasons for his departure and how and why that 89 side and indeed the 91 side were broken up fairly quickly.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Ask him if he knows the answer to the question we have all asked ourselves at some point in our lives, namely: who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp and who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong? :rubchin: :lol: :lol: :wink:

shu

Post by shu »

Did Kevin ever watch Fever pitch ? Maybe it means more to us supporters but he was part of it.

And generally thanks Kevin , i was 22 years old then and had never seen us win the league , it was one of the best moments of my life (a real fever pitch moment) .

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Was Alan Smith as much of a wanker when he was a player as he is now ?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Was he playing in the match when Davis clocked Glenn Cockerill and if so does he know the reason behind it ??

:box:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

StuartL wrote:Was he playing in the match when Davis clocked Glenn Cockerill and if so does he know the reason behind it ??

I think it's because they wanted to see who could do it quicker. :rubchin: :lol: :lol: :wink:

beck

Post by beck »

StuartL wrote:Was he playing in the match when Davis clocked Glenn Cockerill and if so does he know the reason behind it ??

he was on the bench
he came on for davis

Herd

Post by Herd »

I dont have much recall of 1990 with a bitter divorce reading Phillip K Dick marathons and yeo binging taking up most of my time and money but seem to recall that Kevin fell out with GG and thus was frozen out by the Gaffer.
I do remember him sitting in Upper East stand for some games which I found odd as he was a current serving player and at that time they sat behind the greenhouse or in the directors Box if they wernt playing.
It struck me as a shame as he was very much the kind of player George liked ,hard working combative and flexible ,could play either side and I think he might have played full back once or twice .

hugh jardon

Post by hugh jardon »

It seems at the beginning of his career he struggled to get into a successful Everton team and then went to Watford for a year before signing for us for £200,000 - what were his reasons for joining Arsenal and did he see the club enjoying the success it did in his time at Arsenal between 87-90?

What are his memories of the 88 Littlewoods Cup final?

What does he think changed the team from a top six side into a title challenging team?

What did he and the rest of the squad think of George's 5-3-2 formation towards the end of the 88/89 season?

Did he think Arsenal had a prayer going into Anfield 89 and what are his memories of the day, the game and celebrations afterwards?

Was he a regular member of the Tuesday club? And if so any stories he'd like to share?!

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

Some great questions already folks. Thanks very much. We're not sure whether the interview will take place in time for the next issue or whether it will be done over the summer yet, so keep them coming and we'll be sure to let you know when you can read the answers.

Post by 1989 »

What does he make of the Arsenal FC (sorry PLC) of today?