SUMMER TRANSFERS - Your thoughts on who did and did not sign

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Re: SUMMER TRANSFERS - Deals, Rumours and Buy/Sell Wish List

Post by officepest »

If Barca accept Utd's offer for Cesc, if he does decide to leave, and if we don't take up our 1st option on him, then there can be no way back for Wenger.

He cannot keep banging on about 'lack of quality' in the market and then not sign Cesc for less than we sold him for, it would be utter madness.

All ifs and buts I know, and depending on what Cesc wants, but we have to be interested if he's available.

swimmer1

Post by swimmer1 »

officepest wrote:If Barca accept Utd's offer for Cesc, if he does decide to leave, and if we don't take up our 1st option on him, then there can be no way back for Wenger.

He cannot keep banging on about 'lack of quality' in the market and then not sign Cesc for less than we sold him for, it would be utter madness.

All ifs and buts I know, and depending on what Cesc wants, but we have to be interested if he's available.
He will say we never had that option then pocket the 50% :D

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

Who would you drop to put Fab back in the side?

MM99

Post by MM99 »

kiwomya wrote:Who would you drop to put Fab back in the side?
Could play Santi on the left, and have Cesc, JW and Arteta in the middle. Anyway, barca are never going to sell cesc so this is all moot.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Anyone it takes - he's better than all of them.

The only one close to Cesc (quality wise) is Cazorla, and he can play on the left or right.

After that, I'd happily drop Podolski, Wilshere, Chamberlain or Theo to accommodate Cesc. Why not?

Also, last season we seriously lacked creativity and a final ball... Cesc has that.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

All the talk that we bid for Suarez to get Madrid moving so we can take Higuain - I can't help but think this maybe even more true with this Cesc bid.

Moyes knows this bid works on every level:

1) Barca sell, he strengthens his team and a champions league rival lose their 'second generation' midfield in one window.
2) Barca agree fee forcing Arsenal to act causing us to buy in a position we don't need to strengthen, knowing Wenger unlikely to spend big twice in one window, thereby staying 'inferior' to them.
3) Barca say no, he can say they tried to get top level talent, but Barca not willing to sell him and Thiago in same window, so they will move on to someone else. It lets his fans know he means business, knowing full well it will upset us and put more pressure on Wenger also.

We just need to sit back, hope for '3' and that Wenger pulls his finger out and signs the players we need.

shu

Post by shu »

markyp wrote:if united were to sign fabregas I think it would be the final kick in the nut sack for me,losing him was bad but at least it was to Barca but for united to stroll in and buy him would show just how small time we really are that he would be enticed back by united instead of us,not being able to keep your players is one thing but not being able to buy them back cos they think you're too crap for them is another,i just prey that Wenker would do everything to buy him back if possible.this summer is just getting worse and worse :banghead:
Totally agree Mark , what with RVP there a real flucker

p206ab

Post by p206ab »

scez
sagna BFG Kos Gibbs
Arteta Wilshere Santi
Cesc
Theo Poldi

:barscarf:

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Wenger will walk over broken glass to get Fabregas back. It's the one player we sold he genuinely is still gutted about I think. 25 mil for Cesc, we would be all over him.

And if not, they can go to hell

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

1) Drop Podolski, move Cazorla to the left and play Cesc as the number 10. If we don't sign any new strikers, we can play Podolski up front instead of Giroud.

2) Drop Ramsey/Arteta and play Cesc in a deep playmaker role. But I think that could weaken us defensively and also limit Cesc a bit.

3) Drop Giroud and play Cesc as a false nine. I know that playing without a traditional number nine sounds very strange but Cesc has successfully played in that role for both Barcelona and Spain. Walcott (14 league goals, 10 league assists), Cazorla (12, 11), Cesc (11, 11) and Podolski (11, 9) are all players who can score and both Walcott and Podolski can come into the middle when needed. In this system, all attacking players would share goalscoring responsibilities and we would have an extra central midfielder when defending.

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

Play him in goal, fuck it :barscarf:

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

BournemouthRED wrote:Play him in goal, fuck it :barscarf:
:lol:

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

Arsene Wenger can't name spectacular Arsenal signing but says they are working on strengthening the squad

Arsene Wenger has urged fans to be patient as the club seek to strengthen their squad ahead of the new season.

The Gunners have so far signed 21-year-old Frenchman Yaya Sanogo, with a transfer for Real Madrid’s Gonzalo Higuain starting to drag on with a deal yet to be agreed.

Fans are beginning to worry that the deal may be about to fall through, especially following the news this morning that Wenger is likely to make another bid for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez.

It has been made no secret of Arsenal’s significant spending power this summer, and although a deal could still go through for Higuain, it has been reported that Wenger will make a £35m offer for Suarez in the not too distant future.

Wenger wanted to reassure fans that work is being done behind the scenes, but admitted that he doesn’t have any news to tell them just yet.

You want me to announce a spectacular signing but I can't,” he admitted, speaking in Vietnam on Arsenal’s pre-season tour of Asia.

We are working behind the scenes to strengthen the squad, but I can’t give you names.”

Wenger has also been linked with moves for Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney and Everton’s Marouane Fellaini, and he has recognised that this season Premier League could be Arsenal’s best chance to win the league since their phenomenal “Invincibles” season in 2003/04.

“The next Premier League season will be interesting,” he continued. “Many teams can win the title.

“Chelsea will have a good team, the fact Sir Alex Ferguson has retired brings some uncertainty to Manchester United - but Moyes is there and I'm sure they will be candidates to win the PL.”

Attacking midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain echoed his manager’s comments that United may be different to the juggernaut that they became under Ferguson.

“I don't know what the managerial change will bring for United,” said Oxlade-Chamberlain.

“It doesn't change the way we approach things. Sir Alex Ferguson was an amazing manager for so many, but at some point he had to retire - he couldn't have stayed in the game all of his life.

“So, in that sense it does bring a certain amount of uncertainty, but that's only for fans and football followers - but not for me or my team mates.”

Oxlade-Chamberlain was part of the side that beat an Indonesian Dream Team 7-0 in their first pre-season match on Sunday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 09875.html

augie

Post by augie »

Are we ever going to get rid of this lanky pile of shit ?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... -Hull-City

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

g88ner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Been on holiday for a week and purposely didn't check football news. Have we signed Higuain yet?
Erm.... you're not going to like this, but we seem closer to signing Wenger than Higuain :oops: :oops: :lol: :cry:

:shock: :shock: :suicide: