Arsenal/football-related books

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonerwalker

Arsenal/football-related books

Post by goonerwalker »

Been getting into reading quite a few football-related books recently and did a review of one book on Arsenal 'The Wenger Code' on my blog- http://www.schoolofgooner.blogspot.co.u ... -code.html

Wondering if any of you guys have any recommendations of football-related books that you've read?

g88ner

Re: Arsenal/football-related books

Post by g88ner »

Loved this book. It follows a chap, Tim Parks, who lives in Verona and decides to write about his experiences of following Verona home and away for a whole Serie A season.

It gives an incite into the Italian fan culture as well as the ultra's and the police.
It tells the story of Verona's league campaign, which came to a dramatic climax (I found myself getting really caught up in his match reports, wondering whether Verona would stay up or be relegated. It's a real page turner! :o )
It's part travel writing, as he discusses the history/culture/news stories of places/regions he visits up and down Italy.

It's just a bloody good read. :barscarf:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

"Highbury, the story of Arsenal in N5" is probably my favourite. I've also recently read through "Steaming In" by colin ward, some great stories in there, especially about the juve match in '80.

goonerwalker

Post by goonerwalker »

g88ner wrote:Image

Loved this book. It follows a chap, Tim Parks, who lives in Verona and decides to write about his experiences of following Verona home and away for a whole Serie A season.

It gives an incite into the Italian fan culture as well as the ultra's and the police.
It tells the story of Verona's league campaign, which came to a dramatic climax (I found myself getting really caught up in his match reports, wondering whether Verona would stay up or be relegated. It's a real page turner! :o )
It's part travel writing, as he discusses the history/culture/news stories of places/regions he visits up and down Italy.

It's just a bloody good read. :barscarf:
Thanks a lot. I've heard very good things about that book before, certainly seems like a purchase I'll have to make! :barscarf:

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Arsenal related

Non Arsenal related

Simon

Post by Simon »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:Arsenal related

An absolutely superb read. One of my favourite books.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

fever pitch.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

clockender1 wrote:fever pitch.
You mean the Drew Barrymore movie about a man's passion for the Boston Red Sox? :rubchin: :lol:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Good review.
Must say that a book entitled "The Wenger Code" should be of interest to all on this Forum, as it is what we disect in minute detail every day!
But hope it can answer some of the questions we have, such as to what extent do the board hold back money, did Gazidis buy Arshavin, and why was Santos bought?

Best Arsenal book I have read by far is this one, great compendium of memories from fans with a few comments by the author/compiler.
"The END" by Tom Watt.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

goonerwalker wrote:Been getting into reading quite a few football-related books recently and did a review of one book on Arsenal 'The Wenger Code' on my blog- http://www.schoolofgooner.blogspot.co.u ... -code.html

Wondering if any of you guys have any recommendations of football-related books that you've read?
Thanks for the review, mate. Don't think the book's for me though :lol:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:"Highbury, the story of Arsenal in N5" is probably my favourite. I've also recently read through "Steaming In" by colin ward, some great stories in there, especially about the juve match in '80.
Colin Ward is a good writer ,unfortunately his account of Turin is lifted from others stories as he wasnt there .
He had to delete an entire Chapter as the subject objected to it ,he told me it was the best chapter in it and showed me a load a photos Id never ever seen dating back into the 70's,I now have them at home .
Havent seen him since he was chased out of the Highbury Barn circa 1992 by some nutcases who objected to his telling stories abt Johhny Evans Olly and Solly !

augie

Post by augie »

clockender1 wrote:fever pitch.

A great read but for me the film, as good as it was, doesnt do the book justice.

If we are talking non AFC books, I have to say that I enjoyed the book El Macca - for me it gave a great insight into what goes on when a player moves from one country to another plus it gives an insight into what goes on behind the scenes at madrid and the "influence" that is exerted on the managers re team selection.

The book about the german keeper robert enke was a good read although it also made for sad reading as well - it went into detail how depression affected him throughout his career and the huge influence the illness had on him and his career :(

Ben Diesel

Post by Ben Diesel »

I add my recommendation for 'A Season With Verona' - a great read.

You might also try to find a copy of 'Left Foot in the Grave' by Garry Nelson, in which he relates his experience of being appointed to manage Torquay United. A fascinating insight to the running of a lower league football club, and its transfer dealings, with no money. Another great read.

Herd

Post by Herd »

As well written as fever pitch is I don't for the life of me understand why he felt the need to go missing for 3 years during uni , or fail to make it to anfailed . Tickets were very easy to come by and at six quid for a seat less for standing , werent very costly either ! Was a bank Holiday weekend too ,no excuse there either !

My favorite is FIfa 192 written by my loony scouse mate Steve aka Stanley park. Funny as fuck !

redfox

Post by redfox »

Steaming in by Colin Ward - journal of a football fan is not a bad read at all.