[POLL] Should we have bought back Cesc Fabregas?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Would you buy Cesc Fabregas this summer?

YES
68%
NO
22%
MAYBE
10%

Total votes: 145

VAVAVOOM 14

Re: [POLL] Should we buy back Cesc Fabregas?

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

Gunner Rob wrote:we didnt win anything when we had Fabregas supplying assists to Van Persie so why anyone thinks this will work now with him supplying assists to Giroud is beyond me.
That's because Van Persie was injured for the majority of the time Cesc was here - they were in the same team for 7 years and they rarely played together. It's laughable, really. Pathetic. :lol:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Mousers swooping in for him as well. :lol:

Cant honestly see him or his misses enjoying the sunny North West

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2082 ... ty-rumours

turricaned

Post by turricaned »

Everything I've read on the subject only says that the club as a whole said no to Cesc returning, nothing about AW specifically. Obviously if AW felt strongly in favour than he could probably overrule the decision, but he's got more pressing issues to deal with elsewhere in the squad.

One thing that seems to be overlooked on the impact it would have on the squad ("Özil and Rambo occupy his positions") is that the *precise reason* Cesc is unhappy at Barca is because of his lack of a consistent first-team position there. While it would undoubtedly shore up the squad, the unpalatable truth is that getting Cesc back as a second-string player, or displacing one of the current first-team selections would do all three players a massive disservice. Perhaps the motivation behind the club passing on Cesc at this point is because they're well aware of that.

Don't get me wrong - I have a lot of regard for Cesc and would love to see him back. However, with the current surplus of midfield talent I can't see how he would fit in at this point and - crucially - still be happy. More to the point, we need to bolster strike capability, defence and a decent reserve GK before we do anything else.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

p206ab wrote:Now Maureen is in for Cesc.
I would hate to see him in any PL shirt other than ours, but I would really really hate him in chavs blue. Sign him up!
Don't you worry about those Chavs.....we'll show 'em we mean business when we sign 47 year old Samuel Eto'o at 10.59 on deadline day

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

Theoperator wrote:Mousers swooping in for him as well. :lol:

Cant honestly see him or his misses enjoying the sunny North West

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2082 ... ty-rumours
Bleacher is about as reliable as a scouse car parking attendant :oops:

defleppardisking

Post by defleppardisking »

Sorry guys. Cesc has signed for west ham

:lol: :lol:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

In from 6/1 to 8/11 at skybet in the last 24hrs to join the chavs.Betting suspended at Victor, Betway and bwin.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

falkirk goon wrote:In from 6/1 to 8/11 at skybet in the last 24hrs to join the chavs.Betting suspended at Victor, Betway and bwin.
I think that's probably just an overreaction to Lampard confirming he's off. Personally don't see it myself.

And what about this Diego Costa transfer that was apparently agreed at least six times before the end of the season? :rubchin:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

northbank123 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:In from 6/1 to 8/11 at skybet in the last 24hrs to join the chavs.Betting suspended at Victor, Betway and bwin.
I think that's probably just an overreaction to Lampard confirming he's off. Personally don't see it myself.

And what about this Diego Costa transfer that was apparently agreed at least six times before the end of the season? :rubchin:
Hope your right nb, maybe Costa is coming to us :oops:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

falkirk goon wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

Hope your right nb, maybe Costa is coming to us :oops:
Steady fella :shock: :lol:

turricaned

Post by turricaned »

I reckon the question people who are kvetching about turning Cesc down should be asking themselves is how they'd react if we hypothetically spent the 30m plus wages on getting him back, then later in the transfer window it turned out we missed out on a striker because we didn't have enough funding.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

turricaned wrote:
One thing that seems to be overlooked on the impact it would have on the squad ("Özil and Rambo occupy his positions") is that the *precise reason* Cesc is unhappy at Barca is because of his lack of a consistent first-team position there.
It is quite possible to play Cesc and Ramsey central midfield with Ozil in front or wide midfield, or even Ramsey and Flamini central with Cesc as a number 10 with Ozil and Walcott wide.

turricaned

Post by turricaned »

I had another moment of agreement with you earlier regarding the Barca shirt "stunt". Cesc definitely didn't look like he wanted that to happen.

But yeah - it's possible for sure, but is it really worth 30m of our (significantly improved, but still limited compared to the likes of Chelsea, City, Real etc.) transfer budget to add yet another midfielder to the squad when we've got so many other areas which need more drastic attention?

As others have said - my heart wants to say yes, but my head reckons now isn't the right time.

PatRiceKnows

Post by PatRiceKnows »

Read the article with us going for balotelli instead of fabregas, will be gutted to see cesc in another shirt, he will be destined for united

turricaned

Post by turricaned »

As far as I can tell, that's based on positive comments AW made about Balotelli back in 2009.

While Balotelli, like Suarez, rubs me up the wrong way, he's a striker and we need one of those. Another attacking midfielder like Cesc would be nice, but we don't really *need* one at the moment.

My money's on Cesc staying at Barca for at least another season.